April 26, 2024, 03:30:12 PM

News:

Check Engine light on, no codes

Started by fleetmechanic, September 05, 2019, 10:15:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fleetmechanic

Got a 2009 FLHP with about 55K miles on it.  The other day the rider filled it at the gas station and while going home it went into limp code with the CE light on.  Trailered it to the shop and it would start and run OK for a few seconds and then goes limp with the CE light staying on.  Scanalyzer shows no current or historic codes even while the CE light is still on while running.  Cycling the ignition switch 5 times clears it briefly but then it acts up again. I'm going to check the TCA plug pins, the throttle wires next to the frame and the MAP sensor pins.
Any other ideas?

chaos901

Just from limited experience, I am betting on either the TCA plug or the wires in that 270 degree turn right before the TCA plug.  The '09 has all the wires in the cable tray down the backbone, so should be good there. 

Like I said limited experience, I had one that needed the TCA plug connectors redone and another where the ground wire broke a couple of inches before the connector in the turn.   
"There are only two truly infinite things, the universe and stupidity." AE

fleetmechanic

I unplugged the TCA connector and noticed a very small bare spot on the ground wire near the plug.  The wires did not seem to be frayed or broken so I put some solder on the spot and taped it up.  I then sprayed elec. contact cleaner into the pins and sockets and reassembled with elec. grease.  Rode about 10 miles with no problems.  Still don't know why the CE light would stay on while showing no codes.

rigidthumper

Did the TCA pins ever get updated with the -11 parts?
Ignorance is bliss, and accuracy expensive. How much of either can you afford?

fleetmechanic

I don't think so.  If the problem comes back we'll go there next.