April 25, 2024, 09:31:06 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Starter Ground

Started by Deye76, September 11, 2019, 08:42:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Deye76

Put a new starter in my FXR, installed exactly like the OE was for the last 27 years. Works fine. Friend says there should be a ground cable from the one of the starter mounting bolts to the frame, like on his Evo Dyna Wide Glide. I looked at my 2014 and 2015 baggers, neither has a ground cable from the mounting bolts to the frame. Anyone have a take on this?
East Tenn.<br /> 2020 Lowrider S Touring, 2014 CVO RK,  1992 FXRP

IronButt70

Quote from: Deye76 on September 11, 2019, 08:42:21 AM
Put a new starter in my FXR, installed exactly like the OE was for the last 27 years. Works fine. Friend says there should be a ground cable from the one of the starter mounting bolts to the frame, like on his Evo Dyna Wide Glide. I looked at my 2014 and 2015 baggers, neither has a ground cable from the mounting bolts to the frame. Anyone have a take on this?
I was starting to have hot start issues on my 2004 Ultra. Starter would engage, hesitate and then roll the engine over. Friend suggested doing what your Evo friend said and it cured my problem. If the starter and mount point were good and clean when you did the install you're probably OK. I did it on my 17 softail because I think time and heat cycles can cause loss of good continuity between the starter and the mount and because I'm OCD.  :bike:
No one else put you on the road you're on. It's your own asphalt.

Hybredhog

If it works good, then the stock FXR OEM Ground mesh cable under the primary to the frame is good. But as mentioned, the ground on TC Dyna's have something to be desired, Bat. Neg. to nearby frame stud. I put a good quality cable from the Battery to a starter bolt, and  then a cable (OEM cable) from that starter bolt to the frame. Its not a bad idea to clean or replace those FXR mesh cables once in awhile.
'01 FXDXT, '99 FXDL/XRD, '76 FLH

smoserx1

That is interesting because my 99 FLHT definitely has the setup your friend is describing.  I have a cable from the battery + to the starter solenoid, one from the battery - to a stud on the frame under the seat, another one from this negative stud to one of the starter mounting bolts and finally a smaller positive cable from the solenoid back up to the circuit breaker.  I have wondered why the separate starter ground was there and maybe it is because the entire drive train is rubber mounted?  If your FXR has direct engine mounts like an old sportster or softail (I don't know) you probably don't need this extra ground but it will never hurt.  I have heard stories of clutch cables glowing red when the starter activated because nothing was grounded to the engine properly.  Certainly don't want that to happen.

DresserDan

I have a 1990 FXR and was having no click starting. Go some place and go to start and nothing. I put another ground cable in the batt to the frame. I think I put it on where the oil tank bolts to the frame?? Haven't had any more problems for over 5 yrs plus. I have been told by several so called HD techs that that had no effect and didn't make ant difference in my no click . I figured that it being a rubber mount that sometimes the batt looses ground from the started.

14Frisco

Deye76

"If your FXR has direct engine mounts"

FXR's are rubber mounted. I've not had any problems, so for now I'll take the if it isn't broke, approach.

ecir50

forget what year bike you have? but if you have the ground strap from primary to cross member you should be good.

Deye76

September 11, 2019, 05:25:14 PM #8 Last Edit: September 11, 2019, 05:37:22 PM by Deye76
Quote from: ecir50 on September 11, 2019, 05:20:44 PM
forget what year bike you have? but if you have the ground strap from primary to cross member you should be good.

1992, yes have that ground strap (braided, wide one) and a Terry cable from the top of the inner primary to the neg. side of the battery .

1workinman

Just got through doing some battery cables on my road glide  I installed larger cables there Is a ground lug under the or close to the starter and also a smaller one that goes to the frame . Installed larger cables and a twin power battery to help the 145 inch motor start when its hot seems to help quiet a bit . On a note now that I done that the battery voltage is or seems lower on the gauge for just a bit after starting. The bigger cables I ordered is pretty large as I noticed they were the same size as the cables I had off a TDI 1.9 motor is used to build one for my bike just to see if it helped and it did

hbkeith

on my 92 I have the stock ground from inner primary to battery , I added a second ground from battery to starter bolt used #4 welding cable , very flexible for tight bends , also made sure the OEM ground strap from primary to cross member had good connect

Phu Cat

My buddies '62 Vette with a 327/350HP ran like a scalded dog most of the time.  After he had it shipped to Florida from Philly he started having trouble with the battery not charging.

He ran it up in some 2X6's in our driveway so I could crawl underneath.  Wasn't aware Vettes of this year had a large ground wire from the block to the frame.  It had come loose, only finger tight so it probably would have fallen out after not too many more miles.  Put a breaker bar on that bolt to be sure it was tight (didn't have a spec to tighten it to) and it started every time for the next three years until his son came down from Philly and talked Dad into letting him have it shipped back to PA.  Darned near cried as I only drove that car once.

PC
Too much horsepower is almost enough.