March 29, 2024, 02:47:40 AM

News:

HD CONNECT on the 2020 models

Started by tomcat64, September 11, 2019, 01:25:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tomcat64

I just completed the training video on the new CONNECT, basically HD's version of On-Star. I think this business is passing me by, I just don't see why anybody would want to pay $150 a year for this, but maybe I'm wrong.  :dgust:

hattitude

Quote from: tomcat64 on September 11, 2019, 01:25:17 PM
I just completed the training video on the new CONNECT, basically HD's version of On-Star. I think this business is passing me by, I just don't see why anybody would want to pay $150 a year for this, but maybe I'm wrong.  :dgust:

We may be in the minority, but you are not alone......

I don't have anything like that (On-Star) on any of my cars or my truck, and I certainly don't want/need it on my motorcycle....!

Hossamania

But, it's only twelve and a half bucks a month, how can you NOT have it?

Yeah, not for me either. We just got a new car, they keep sending emails to activate on-call, or whatever this one's called. Free for three months, then I can cancel. Funny how it's free, but they want a credit card to set up the account.
No thanks.
I don't even like the touchscreen, talk about distracted driving. Just give me some knobs.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take away everything you have.

lickidysplit

I'm with you Hoss. I changed batteries on my 07 chevy pickup today and couldn't remember how to reset the clock on the radio. I was thinking how I miss the old clocks with a knob sticking out that you just reach down and turn and be done!

Rockout Rocker Products

I had Onstar for a couple of years in a Pontiac Vibe. Only reason was there were cell phone dead zones on my commute & the Onstar system acts like a satellite phone in addition to it's emergency functions. It was a barren area that you didn't want to be broke down in with no communications. BUT....

You had to prepay for the minutes, and it was expensive... like 25 cents a minute or so. And, the minutes were use them or lose them. Also, the Pontiac Vibe was actually a Toyota Matrix with different badges. Because of that, half of the Onstar features didn't work.

Once cell phone coverage improved I dumped it pronto.

www.rockout.biz Stop the top end TAPPING!!

CVOThunder

On-Star was ok when they allowed us to use Verizon as the phone provider. Linked my 2005 to a friends phone for like $10 a month. Once they stopped allowing that I was done.
Photons by the bag. Gravitons not  shipped outside the US.

biglew55

I have had GMs with OnStar since '02.  I have NEVER paid to extend the service.  Seems pretty senseless in the age of cell phones.  I now carry a SPOT satellite tracker with SOS function when travelling out of cell range.

My newest truck is compatible with the GM phone app.  The only two things that I use that for are sending locations to the built-in GPS while on the couch (BOOM does this separately), and locking the doors when I forgot to upon exiting (which is not an option for any of my HDs).

So, my opinion of the offering seems much in line with the above comments; what's the value?  It does exactly squat that you can't do otherwise for free.  OK, maybe the theft monitoring, but since 1997, I've had exactly zero occasions of needing this.  F'n marketing BS.

Maybe I'll think differently once I try it, but I doubt it.
2020 FLHTK - 2018 BMW R1200 GSA - 1965 FLHFB
IBA #595

calif phil

I have active OnStar in two vehicles and I like it.  I don't know if I would get it on the bike though. 

Hossamania

Quote from: calif phil on September 12, 2019, 06:29:34 AM
I have active OnStar in two vehicles and I like it.  I don't know if I would get it on the bike though.

How much do you use it, and what do you use it for?

Pete_Vit

I have the free service from on-star, which is not much, I have an app and I can unlock my car, check gas, oil life, tire pressure stuff, that's all.
I have a co-worker that has it on all chevy's they own, after a bad accident she had husband deemed it necessary, to each his own, I can see one big benefit on the HD's, if its stolen, they can shut it down and track the bike  :up:
93 XLH1200 - 96 FXSTS - 2010 Ultra Glide Classic
www.facebook.com/harleypartsch

lickidysplit

Ive had the free on-star on a new pick up and I never used it. I guess if you locked you keys in the truck it would be handy. But I never did. I cant see it being needed!

tomcat64

Quote from: Pete_Vit on September 12, 2019, 06:45:45 AM
I have the free service from on-star, which is not much, I have an app and I can unlock my car, check gas, oil life, tire pressure stuff, that's all.
I have a co-worker that has it on all chevy's they own, after a bad accident she had husband deemed it necessary, to each his own, I can see one big benefit on the HD's, if its stolen, they can shut it down and track the bike  :up:

my wife is a 911 dispatcher, around 99% of "on-star calls" are false alarms.. and as for the theft thing,, isn't that why we have insurance?

Pete_Vit

Quote from: tomcat64 on September 13, 2019, 05:58:09 AM
Quote from: Pete_Vit on September 12, 2019, 06:45:45 AM

my wife is a 911 dispatcher, around 99% of "on-star calls" are false alarms.. and as for the theft thing,, isn't that why we have insurance?
not saying On-Star is the cat's meow, just thinking of the good points, if they can recover you vehicle before it gets damaged or stripped by a thief, maybe your insurance rates will not go up, and maybe a good discount   :nix:

CndUltra88

Sometimes less tech is more when it comes to having fun  :nix:

Not to mention Big Brother doesnt need to know where i am or what I am doing every step of the day.

Anyone seen how much information a Tesla relays back to Elon and his crew when one is driving their new car , let alone what pictures or other data while the vehicle is parked   :idunno:

But, for 12 bucks a month it is less than bus fare for some peace of mind, lol.

Rob

Infantryman Terry Street
End of Tour April,4,2008 Panjwayi district Afghanistan

calif phil

I get a discount on my insurance with on star, so that offsets the cost, Wife uses it for directions as it is easy for her to push one button while driving and have directions sent right to her car. I have an app and can start both vehicles remotely or unlock the doors.  In my truck I have WIFI with On star and the kid uses that while traveling.  There are other features , like roadside service, monthly email with vehicle information like oil life % , tire pressures and more.  I know it's not for everyone but I find value in it. 

Pete_Vit

Quote from: CndUltra88 on September 13, 2019, 06:40:04 AM
Sometimes less tech is more when it comes to having fun  :nix:

Not to mention Big Brother doesnt need to know where i am or what I am doing every step of the day.

Anyone seen how much information a Tesla relays back to Elon and his crew when one is driving their new car , let alone what pictures or other data while the vehicle is parked   :idunno:

But, for 12 bucks a month it is less than bus fare for some peace of mind, lol.

Rob
LOL! got you smartphone with ya, GPS? they know who you are...and where you go, in the real world and online  :tfhat:

Pirsch Fire Wagon

32 years ago, the Ultra had a Radio and C.B. That's it! Now, the operator has touch screen, direct connect, Bluetooth, Phone answering (don't know why anyone would want that). And, we still have to deal with all these morons trying to kill us. Do we really need all this CRAP to take our attention away?
Tom

PoorUB

I have linked my cell phone to my Limited and used it a few times, but generally, if I am out riding I am not going to answer my phone.
Gonenorth and I were going through Kansas City and got tangled up in some construction. We were using the CB's, but they are a pain in stop and go traffic trying to run the throttle, clutch and push to talk button, so I called his cell phone and we were able to talk our way out of the mess.
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

Boe Cole

Wife has onstar - she loves it.  I use the garmin already loaded in my vehicle.  On the bike - the last thing i want is to listen to Bitching Betty telling me I have to turn in 5 miles.  If on a trip, I put the portable garmin on my handle bars and look at it when i need to - bikes are for fun and mental relaxation.  Needless to say, I'm old school - I'm sure the younger folks love that feature.
We never really grow up, we only learn how to act in public.

PoorUB

I use the factory GPS on my Limited some, run my cheep Garmin, either way the sound is not turned on with either of them. Been running a GPS for years, I can't stand having it tell me to turn 2-3 times before the corner.

I get a kick out of guys running some aftermarket Bluetooth headset, trying to link it to there motorcycle radio, phone and GPS. Way too much stuff going on!

biglew55

September 13, 2019, 10:06:29 AM #20 Last Edit: September 13, 2019, 10:11:17 AM by biglew55
Quote from: PoorUB on September 13, 2019, 09:40:12 AMWay too much stuff going on!

You would hate my set-up...although I use a corded headset.  I'll see if I can figure out how to load a pic.

Built -in Boom, Garmin z590, Garmin z660, Old Phone tethered to my regular phone (regular phone is in tour pak as hot spot), SPOT tracker, TPMS Unit, and Radar detector.  Oh, and I use a 5gallon aux fuel tank and a 1 gallon water jug.

I hate to stop for anything, especially directions.

It's all about being able to prioritize: Aviate, navigate, communicate...
IBA #595

Hossamania

Well, let's see, I've got a speedometer, and a fuel gauge that started working again. Guess I'm behind the times. I'm ok with that.

rbabos

Quote from: Hossamania on September 13, 2019, 11:52:40 AM
Well, let's see, I've got a speedometer, and a fuel gauge that started working again. Guess I'm behind the times. I'm ok with that.
The two you mentioned are optional also. In the 70s, pan chopper , traffic dictated speed and you actually looked into the tank to see if you had fuel for the trip. Kick start too. It's gotten stupid with all the "Potty mouth" on bikes now. You play with it at first then only use maybe half of it from then on.
Ron

tomcat64

Quote from: rbabos on September 13, 2019, 12:02:30 PM
The two you mentioned are optional also. In the 70s, pan chopper , traffic dictated speed and you actually looked into the tank to see if you had fuel for the trip. Kick start too. It's gotten stupid with all the "Potty mouth" on bikes now. You play with it at first then only use maybe half of it from then on.
Ron

To me that is the point, like the automotive industry, the MOCO is adding all of these features that the vast majority will never use, but they can add the cost into the MSRP of the bike. You wouldn't believe how many trikes get traded in and the owner has never used the GPS or the blue tooth stuff.

HV

September 13, 2019, 01:34:46 PM #24 Last Edit: September 16, 2019, 06:06:21 PM by HV
They would be far better off spending the $$ on R&D and QC with all the M8 Crap they are sending us  :banghead:
HV HTT Admin ..Ride Safe ...But Ride informed with HTT !!
Skype HV.HTT

PoorUB

Quote from: biglew55 on September 13, 2019, 10:06:29 AM
Quote from: PoorUB on September 13, 2019, 09:40:12 AMWay too much stuff going on!

You would hate my set-up...although I use a corded headset.  I'll see if I can figure out how to load a pic.

Built -in Boom, Garmin z590, Garmin z660, Old Phone tethered to my regular phone (regular phone is in tour pak as hot spot), SPOT tracker, TPMS Unit, and Radar detector.  Oh, and I use a 5gallon aux fuel tank and a 1 gallon water jug.

I hate to stop for anything, especially directions.

It's all about being able to prioritize: Aviate, navigate, communicate...

One GPS, the 5 gallon aux tank and water jug I can understand. I hate to stop too.

Lets see....11 gallons of fuel, 40 MPG or maybe 45+ easy going....400-500 miles with out stopping. I like it! :bike:

If you check out some of the Iron Butt riders, they are crazy when it comes to do-dads, 2-3 GPS, a couple radar detectors, phone, Spot, they have a shelf mounted to hold all the stuff. Extra gas, extra lights, they look like something out of Close Encounters coming at ya.

biglew55

Quote from: tomcat64 on September 13, 2019, 01:07:55 PM
Quote from: rbabos on September 13, 2019, 12:02:30 PM
Ron

To me that is the point, like the automotive industry, the MOCO is adding all of these features that the vast majority will never use, but they can add the cost into the MSRP of the bike. You wouldn't believe how many trikes get traded in and the owner has never used the GPS or the blue tooth stuff.

That's why I keep the panhead around...  It has quite the different version of Infotaintment...
IBA #595

Hybredhog

we had Onstar on our truck & only used it once out of curiosity about 600 mile from a destination we knew of. It got a little annoying every time we pulled off the road & it didn't give the logical route locals would use.

Also I don't like the idea of a RAT in the car.
'01 FXDXT, '99 FXDL/XRD, '76 FLH

Hossamania

If you don't want a rat in the car, don't buy one newer than about 15 years old, maybe 20.

Boe Cole

Quote from: jeffscycle on September 14, 2019, 10:27:53 AM
    we had Onstar on our truck & only used it once out of curiosity about 600 mile from a destination we knew of. It got a little annoying every time we pulled off the road & it didn't give the logical route locals would use.

Also I don't like the idea of a RAT in the car.

Wife had onstar on a car she had.  We enabled it once to get home - the &^*($^#%^ drove me NUTS!!!!!  Couldn't get the #$&^%^^&* thing to shut up no matter what we did.  Last time I used it......
We never really grow up, we only learn how to act in public.

dmrdn

You get the H-D Connect for free the first year.  But in order to sign up you have to put a credit card in and they will auto renew unless you cancel before the year is up.  To me that is snake oil salesmanship

Hossamania

Quote from: dmrdn on September 15, 2019, 05:31:25 PM
You get the H-D Connect for free the first year.  But in order to sign up you have to put a credit card in and they will auto renew unless you cancel before the year is up.  To me that is snake oil salesmanship

Same deal with the new car, free service, whatever it's supposed to do, but need the cc to get it. No thanks, I'll get by.

CndUltra88

Smells of negative billing.....
They make it hard to cancel the service , considering one has free use for the year and the billing starts the moment the year is up.
How many will remember to cancel before the anniversary start date ?
Rob
Infantryman Terry Street
End of Tour April,4,2008 Panjwayi district Afghanistan

Hossamania

Quote from: CndUltra88 on September 15, 2019, 06:47:11 PM

Smells of negative billing.....
They make it hard to cancel the service , considering one has free use for the year and the billing starts the moment the year is up.
How many will remember to cancel before the anniversary start date ?
Rob

I keep notes in my calendar on my phone, how do you think I remember my anniversary and wife's birthday?

Rockout Rocker Products

This is why I insist that XM send me paper bills that I pay with a check.
www.rockout.biz Stop the top end TAPPING!!

Hossamania

Quote from: Rockout Rocker Products on September 15, 2019, 07:16:01 PM

We have 0 auto-pay accounts, we write checks for all our bills. Sure freaks the young people in a hurry at the grocery store when we pull out the checkbook, ask for a pen, ask what the date is, ask what the total was again, then start writing out, wait for the machine or manager to approve it.

IronButt70

Quote from: Hossamania on September 16, 2019, 05:03:59 AM
Quote from: Rockout Rocker Products on September 15, 2019, 07:16:01 PM

We have 0 auto-pay accounts, we write checks for all our bills. Sure freaks the young people in a hurry at the grocery store when we pull out the checkbook, ask for a pen, ask what the date is, ask what the total was again, then start writing out, wait for the machine or manager to approve it.
No auto pay accounts. I pay 99% of my bills through my bank. No CC numbers spread around. I very rarely write checks any more. The unlimited 2% cash back I get with my CC has netted me over $7k. Paid for vacations and lots of goodies for my bike. Just have to be diligent enough to pay the balance off in full every month.
No one else put you on the road you're on. It's your own asphalt.

tomcat64

you CAN disable the auto renew when you sign up..

88b

Quote from: HV on September 13, 2019, 01:34:46 PM
They would be far better off spending the $$ on R&D and QC with all the M8 Crap they are sending up  :banghead:

Absolutely