April 25, 2024, 02:49:38 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

"94 fatboy w S&S motor

Started by mike49, September 12, 2019, 05:32:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mike49

friend of mine is considering buying a 94 fat boy with an s&s motor. He asked me to look at the bike, the motor has four spark plugs. I am not familiar with that setup. The owner says that the engine is a hi performance engine. I figure someone on this site will know more about the setup as to reliability, age etc.
Any advice would be appreciated.

Pete_Vit

:scratch: I don't see an exact fit for a 94 fatboy, S&S does sell dual plug heads + complete motors with dual plugs, I'd be asking for the sheet for the motor at the least
93 XLH1200 - 96 FXSTS - 2010 Ultra Glide Classic
www.facebook.com/harleypartsch

turboprop

Quote from: mike49 on September 12, 2019, 05:32:06 AM
friend of mine is considering buying a 94 fat boy with an s&s motor. He asked me to look at the bike, the motor has four spark plugs. I am not familiar with that setup. The owner says that the engine is a hi performance engine. I figure someone on this site will know more about the setup as to reliability, age etc.

Fat Boy or any other model with an Evo style engine is sort of irrelevant to the conversation. S&S never made dual spark plug heads for any of their Evo or TC style street engines.

I suspect the engine in this bike may have an S&S engine case and the seller doesn't really know what he is talking about. You should invite him to join this page forum.
'We' like this' - Said by the one man operation.

Pete_Vit

Quote from: turboprop on September 12, 2019, 06:44:48 AM
Quote from: mike49 on September 12, 2019, 05:32:06 AM

Fat Boy or any other model with an Evo style engine is sort of irrelevant to the conversation. S&S never made dual spark plug heads for any of their Evo or TC style street engines.

I suspect the engine in this bike may have an S&S engine case and the seller doesn't really know what he is talking about. You should invite him to join this page forum.
Hum, :scratch: I thought they did, I assumed EVO due to the year  :nix:
maybe something like this
https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/ss-super-stock-cylinder-heads-for-harley-big-twin-1984-1999

PoorUB

I had a guy tell me he was looking at buying a Harley wirh an S&S in it. I asked a S&S what? He just looked at me and said "An S&S!" Never did find out if it was the whole engine or just a decal on the fender,  and I am not sure he was smart enough to know, but hey, it has an S&S!
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

PoorUB

I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

Pete_Vit

Quote from: PoorUB on September 12, 2019, 06:54:14 AM
Quote from: Pete_Vit on September 12, 2019, 06:51:07 AM
maybe something like this
https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/ss-super-stock-cylinder-heads-for-harley-big-twin-1984-1999

Are those  twin plug heads? Don't look like it to me.
I cannot tell either, searching thier site for EVO dual plug motors or heads gets no hits, but the google does  :nix:
IIRC someone from another forum bought some S&S heads or modified them for Dual Plug setup

turboprop

Try this.

Instead of using the search function on the S&S website, go to the section with instruction sheets and look at the instructions for the various Evo and TC style heads.
'We' like this' - Said by the one man operation.

Princess Butt

Dual plugs was popular on Shovelhead high performance motors back in the 70's and 80's, and I remember seeing a few Evolution motors converted to dual plug. Usually the conversion was done by the engine builder. If the engine runs well with dual plugs, I would run with that setup.

I would check the frame VIN to make sure it's a real Harley. There were a number of clone bikes built from parts catalogs during that time.
Shiny side up, rubber side down.

Pete_Vit

Quote from: turboprop on September 12, 2019, 08:38:34 AM
Try this.

Instead of using the search function on the S&S website, go to the section with instruction sheets and look at the instructions for the various Evo and TC style heads.
:up:

tomcat64

Quote from: Princess Butt on September 12, 2019, 10:04:33 AM
Dual plugs was popular on Shovelhead high performance motors back in the 70's and 80's, and I remember seeing a few Evolution motors converted to dual plug. Usually the conversion was done by the engine builder. If the engine runs well with dual plugs, I would run with that setup.

I would check the frame VIN to make sure it's a real Harley. There were a number of clone bikes built from parts catalogs during that time.

the VIN should start out 1HD1BML

mike49

Thanks for the advice. Much appreciated.