April 19, 2024, 09:57:50 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

clutch cable 2000 road king

Started by booker49, September 14, 2019, 07:54:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

booker49

have a 2000 road king with 131,000 high way miles with the original clutch cable. any one know how long these last? it seems ok, but was wondering.

calif phil

It's not something that can easily be replaced on a trip and can cause you a big headache if it does break.   I would replace it when it's convenient for you. 

tbird

I have a 2000 rking with 101,000 miles and original cable. Looks like I have at least 30,000 miles left in it. Have always lubed once a year.

Hossamania

With an almost twenty year old cable, I would be looking at replacing it. But, there really are no set timelines for replacement, and certainly not guarantee that the new one will last as long.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

92flhtcu

with a 131,000 miles on it, it sure does not owe you anything. As Phil stated, I'd replace at next convenient opportunity. At around $55-60 bucks, it is money well spent
Need a bigger garage

Hossamania

Quote from: 92flhtcu on September 14, 2019, 08:09:40 AM
with a 131,000 miles on it, it sure does not owe you anything. As Phil stated, I'd replace at next convenient opportunity. At around $55-60 bucks, it is money well spent

And I think you'll notice how much smoother the new one is, indicating the old one had run its course.

CndUltra88

Quote from: calif phil on September 14, 2019, 08:03:11 AM
It's not something that can easily be replaced on a trip and can cause you a big headache if it does break.   I would replace it when it's convenient for you.

And you will have a chance to adjust it after it stretches during the first few rides....
Rob
Infantryman Terry Street
End of Tour April,4,2008 Panjwayi district Afghanistan

Mule

My experience has been that a Factory HD cable will out last most aftermarket offerings!

Hybredhog

Your probably good about injection lubing & pivot cleaning to get that many miles. I would suspect that its probably seeping gear oil by the lower connector tube by now, and that alone could be reason to replace it. But it'd be interesting to cut an end off & see where the Teflon coating wore out at.
'01 FXDXT, '99 FXDL/XRD, '76 FLH

smoserx1

If you replace it change your throwout bearing and 2 thrust washers while you are at it.  You will be right there where they are on the end of the oil slinger.  Just lift it out and change them.

Hossamania

Quote from: jeffscycle on September 14, 2019, 09:39:28 AM
   Your probably good about injection lubing & pivot cleaning to get that many miles. I would suspect that its probably seeping gear oil by the lower connector tube by now, and that alone could be reason to replace it. But it'd be interesting to cut an end off & see where the Teflon coating wore out at.

I'm not sure that '00 and '01 stock cables had Teflon.

PoorUB

Pretty sure Teflon lined cables showed up in 2006, along with the different ramps for the clutch release.
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

booker49

i didn't check if harley even has them. might have to go after market.

nibroc

Quote from: Mule on September 14, 2019, 08:56:20 AM
My experience has been that a Factory HD cable will out last most aftermarket offerings!

:chop:............. :agree:

PoorUB

I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

PC_Hater

I bought my Road Glide used in November 2004. Shortly after I bought a new clutch cable. Living in the UK I expected a bit of a wait before I could get a new one.
15 years later that new clutch cable is still in the bag it came in, waiting to be fitted.
After 130,000 miles you might want to carry a spare but I would not replace it 'just because'.
I did that in 1986 on my T140V Bonneville. Bad move. The new cable was worse than the one I replaced and broke every day in Sweden and Finland! Happily Finnish garages always have what you need to re-solder cables.
Clutchless gear changes were the order of the day once moving.
1942 WLA45 chop, 1999 FLTR(not I), 2000 1200S

onehawghead

My 2002 Ultra cable broke two years ago at 156,000 miles at hand lever eyelet side. Bought an oem cable to replace it, but noticed it was a little smaller diameter wire size wise since it was Teflon lined compared to the original cable.

Pirsch Fire Wagon

Tom