April 18, 2024, 12:55:15 PM

News:

Harley-Davidson lift / Jack question

Started by hotbagger1, September 16, 2019, 07:29:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hotbagger1

Years ago Harley-Davidson had a motorcycle lift with a crank on it rather than a hydraulic bottle jack. I was wondering if anyone knew a company that made a lift with the crank because in the past year I've been through three lifts that the bottle jack failed in left my bike up in the air and had to get friends to help me lift it off if I can figure out how to add it I will add a picture of the lift I'm looking for. Thanks for any info

Jim Bronson

It's really unusual to have three bottle failures in one year. I have a 15 year old J&S jack, and the bottle still works like new. Maybe there was a bad run of bottles on yours.
Going down that long, lonesome highway. Gonna live life my way.

hotbagger1

My first one lasted 25 years  the nevt 2 lasted about a week each.😡

Hossamania

Quote from: hotbagger1 on September 16, 2019, 08:06:08 AM
My first one lasted 25 years  the nevt 2 lasted about a week each.😡

Try a more reputable source for a bottle jack. My Craftsman jack has gone 25 years so far.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

nibroc

my craftsman jack is only 20 yrs old and has never failed me

ViseGrips

I can't get my bottle jack lift under my SG ... gotta run the back wheel on a 2x4 for clearance...PITA ..but it still works after 20 years...must be a good bottle on 'er.....I probably just jinxed myself...  :emoGroan:

PoorUB

I also have a Craftsman ATV jack going on twenty years with no issues.
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

chaos901

I did have to replace the bottle on a Craftsman jack after dozen years or so, was not very expensive at all.  Got the information here come to think about it.
"There are only two truly infinite things, the universe and stupidity." AE

smoserx1

CndUltra88

Quote from: Jim Bronson on September 16, 2019, 07:53:01 AM
It's really unusual to have three bottle failures in one year. I have a 15 year old J&S jack, and the bottle still works like new. Maybe there was a bad run of bottles on yours.

Never had a bottle of Jack Daniels ever last more than a weekend.
What are you guys doing to last 15 years?
Sipping a drop at a time ;) .
Sorry got nuttin else to add.
Rob
Infantryman Terry Street
End of Tour April,4,2008 Panjwayi district Afghanistan

thunderalley3

The Harley Davidson part number is 94653-98

You can google with just that part number and it will show you pictures, some availability. Someone on Chopper Exchange has a used one for $80

Hossamania

Quote from: smoserx1 on September 16, 2019, 02:00:50 PM
Boy u really got lots of answers to your question, didn't you?

https://www.amazon.com/LiftMaster-Motorcycle-Center-Scissor-Hoist/dp/B01NCT4IKW/ref=as_li_ss_il?ie=UTF8&linkCode=li3&tag=broadway0e-20&linkId=b821a81d9204e3b9217e3244306124d8

There are more.  Google motorcycle lift with jack screw or similar.

I did a general Google search but nothing with screw jack turned up. Guess I should have specified that.

Hossamania

I take that back, the one you listed did show up, I assumed he wanted the same style of jack, open rails, rather than a solid platform.

Panzer

Quote from: CndUltra88 on September 16, 2019, 02:11:48 PM
Quote from: Jim Bronson on September 16, 2019, 07:53:01 AM

Never had a bottle of Jack Daniels ever last more than a weekend.
What are you guys doing to last 15 years?
Sipping a drop at a time ;) .
Sorry got nuttin else to add.

I'm with CndUltra88  :SM: :SM:
PANZ
Everyone wants to change the world but, no one wants to change the toilet paper.

smoserx1

QuoteI take that back, the one you listed did show up, I assumed he wanted the same style of jack, open rails, rather than a solid platform.

I don't think I would feel safe unless I used 2 of them.  Visually looks like too much potential to rock fore/aft with just one.  But they are cheap enough to buy two.

Leed

Quote from: smoserx1 on September 16, 2019, 02:00:50 PM
Boy u really got lots of answers to your question, didn't you?

https://www.amazon.com/LiftMaster-Motorcycle-Center-Scissor-Hoist/dp/B01NCT4IKW/ref=as_li_ss_il?ie=UTF8&linkCode=li3&tag=broadway0e-20&linkId=b821a81d9204e3b9217e3244306124d8

There are more.  Google motorcycle lift with jack screw or similar.

When I bought my Direct Lift a few years ago they also sold one of those lifts.  I think those are for lifting up the front or back once the bike is secured on a lift.

chaos901

QuoteWhen I bought my Direct Lift a few years ago they also sold one of those lifts.  I think those are for lifting up the front or back once the bike is secured on a lift.

I agree, such as in changing a tire.
"There are only two truly infinite things, the universe and stupidity." AE

Sycho01

I have had bottle jacks on Harbor freight lifts fail to lift weight when the temps were lower than 40* F.   I found that by changing out the oil in the jack to a better quality jack oil solved the problem. Hope this helps someone.

Norton Commando

Quote from: hotbagger1 on September 16, 2019, 07:29:05 AM
Years ago Harley-Davidson had a motorcycle lift with a crank on it rather than a hydraulic bottle jack. I was wondering if anyone knew a company that made a lift with the crank because in the past year I've been through three lifts that the bottle jack failed in left my bike up in the air and had to get friends to help me lift it off if I can figure out how to add it I will add a picture of the lift I'm looking for. Thanks for any info

How about this jack? No hydraulics required.

[attach=1]  [attach=0]
Remember, you can sleep in your car, but you can't drive your house.

Hossamania

Quote from: Norton Commando on September 18, 2019, 09:27:13 AM

[attach=1,msg1316059]  [attach=0,msg1316059]

As mentioned before, that is for lifting half the back up while secured to the table, not for lifting the whole bike off the floor to work on it. It's not wide enough to be stable.

Norton Commando

Quote from: Hossamania on September 18, 2019, 10:46:24 AM
Quote from: Norton Commando on September 18, 2019, 09:27:13 AM

[attach=1,msg1316059]  [attach=0,msg1316059]

As mentioned before, that is for lifting half the back up while secured to the table, not for lifting the whole bike off the floor to work on it. It's not wide enough to be stable.

The jack is rated for 1,100 pounds and if positioned properly, it's capable of lifting both wheels off the ground.  It comes in handy for washing the bike when you need to rotate both wheels in order to clean them. I also use it for changing tires by lifting up one wheel at a time. And it can be used for replacing fork seals and greasing the steering head bearings. 

As you mentioned, there are sturdier alternatives available.  But if used sensibly, this simple screw-type jack can satisfy many of your motorcycle jacking/lifting needs.

Jason
Remember, you can sleep in your car, but you can't drive your house.

PoorUB

I have that same red jack. Like you said, good for lifting one end or the other. No way I would  trust a near $30,000 motorcycle  to balance on it by it self.

Kudos to you if you trust it to lift both tires off the ground at the same time. I would want something with a wider platform,  like an ATV jack.
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

smoserx1

The thing that looks spooky to me about this last one (and probably all of 'em) is the way the X frame moves laterally in the direction of the screw head as the lift rises.  Looks like it would make for a cantilever effect near full lift inviting the bike to tip over sideways in addition to the fore and aft rocking potential.  However again if you used 2 of them (perhaps one at the cross member and the other near the front) AND oriented the lift screw heads opposite each side to negate the cantilever effect the setup would be very stable, and not too expensive to implement.  It would however be a PIA to use having to adjust each jack a little at the time and from opposite sides of the bike.  If I remember that early Harley branded one was pretty expensive even back in the day.

SP33DY

Without having a jack like yours here to try it on, this idea is a wild guess:

My silverado came with a mechanical jack that is shaped like a bottle jack but is screw operated with a sort of speed wrench handle. It telescopes and extends to about two feet as I recall. Maybe a jack like that could replace the hydraulic bottle jack in your lift.

Possibly a cheap junkyard item?

crock

Quote from: thunderalley3 on September 16, 2019, 02:41:13 PM

You can google with just that part number and it will show you pictures, some availability. Someone on Chopper Exchange has a used one for $80

Looking at the pics it loos like you could modify your hydraulic jack with a few home depot parts
Crock

tomcat64

Quote from: crock on September 20, 2019, 06:00:52 AM
Quote from: thunderalley3 on September 16, 2019, 02:41:13 PM

Looking at the pics it loos like you could modify your hydraulic jack with a few home depot parts

$80 is a hell of a deal, they listed for $379

Fugawee

Depending on how much You want to spend, and don't want a BottleJack...Check out the EazyRiser line-up.  They have a "Red" Model, and what They call "Big Blue". The "Big Blue" Model is in My opinion the better of the two for a Harley, or larger Cruising/Touring Bike. I bought a Big Blue from a Distributer in North Carolina many years ago.  That Company no longer provides them, but there are others out there.  Just type in EazyRiser on a search engine, and it will come up with something.  I'm not sure if they are available on Amazon or E-Bay.  There is only a threaded rod that You can put a Drill, or Ratchet, or Air Ratchet on to raise and lower the Business End.  Very Sturdy.  Raises the Bike up much higher than a "Craftsman" type lift.  They provide Frame Clamps with the Lift, but I honestly very seldom use them.  The Lifts are made in England I believe, but have Distributers in the US and Canada.  Good Luck.