April 18, 2024, 07:30:41 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Rattling Thunderheader

Started by Hossamania, September 18, 2019, 02:35:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hossamania

The baffles in my Thunderheader are starting to rattle. It's about 15 years old, 100,000 miles with a lot of hard running on it.
I'm pretty sure there is no repairing it, but thought I would just throw it out here to see if maybe anyone has had any luck with a fix.
I got my money's worth out of it, I would say.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

Wonder if you could fab it from the baffle out of a thundercone...? Plenty of those out there used and you'd have two baffles to experiment with... in case you muck up the first  :bike:

calif phil

In the old days we used to drill a hole in the bottom of the muffler and run a screw up in the baffle to hold it. 

76shuvlinoff

Was often tempted to cut the one on my shovel open and install some baffle cloth but then I'd be having to BBQ paint it  It's starting to show wear so maybe I'm not that far off.
Critics are men who watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors.
 - Ernest Hemingway

Hybredhog

Quote from: calif phil on September 19, 2019, 01:47:05 PM
In the old days we used to drill a hole in the bottom of the muffler and run a screw up in the baffle to hold it.

A couple good sheet metal screws should work. take it off or work the baffle around to see which end is loose.
'01 FXDXT, '99 FXDL/XRD, '76 FLH

Hossamania

I like that idea!

Quote from: jeffscycle on September 19, 2019, 02:24:08 PM

A couple good sheet metal screws should work. take it off or work the baffle around to see which end is loose.

It's a one piece pipe, tough to get at the collector end. But I'll see what I can do. I just like the whole idea of jury rigging a repair for another couple years.

ecir50

i like the self tapping screw idea 5/16 or bigger predrill outer, you miss tack the hole back  up.

tomcat64

Hoss, you have a Thunderheader on your Roadglide, that's something we hardly ever see!!! :wink:

Hossamania

kd

Quote from: tomcat64 on September 20, 2019, 09:26:07 AM
Hoss, you have a Thunderheader on your Roadglide, that's something we hardly ever see!!! :wink:

Well now,  you know that Hoss is a different sort of guy Tom.    :smiled:
KD

Panzer

Everyone wants to change the world but, no one wants to change the toilet paper.

Hossamania

I told Mom that my friends said I was different, she said I was special.

Y2KRKNG

So are we say that there is a baffle/packing up near the collector on a TH 2-1??? I thought it only had the "Thunder cone" or whatever they call that 4 sided pyramid shaped cone near the end of the muffler.
ATP(TurboHarry)95",Mik45,Branch/Mik "Flowmetric" heads,TW55,T.Header 2-1

Hossamania

That cone looks like it is about 12" long, into the pipe/muffler. That's the piece that seems to be rattling, no packing. I haven't taken the time yet to get it up on the lift and start doing some quick troubleshooting, identifying as best I can which part is rattling. I'm assuming it's the end furthermost inside the pipe that has come loose. Or, that whole piece is just coming apart.
I suppose I could just cut it open if necessary to have it welded back up, I don't really care what it looks like. The heat shield will cover most of it. I'll try the sheetmetal screw trick first.
Probably a new pipe in my future though.

Y2KRKNG

Just a WAG based on nothing more than a hunch, I bet the rattle is coming from something other than a baffle/cone/ect inside the pipe.

Hossamania

Quote from: Y2KRKNG on October 01, 2019, 12:40:43 PM
Just a WAG based on nothing more than a hunch, I bet the rattle is coming from something other than a baffle/cone/ect inside the pipe.

When I tap my foot on the pipe, it rattles. No loose heat shields, no loose fasteners. If you heard it, running and rattling, or not running and rattling, you'd be pretty sure it's the baffle. I'll have to roll it up on the lift tomorrow.

D.W.

Quote from: Y2KRKNG on October 01, 2019, 12:40:43 PM

The thunderheader are prone to this after a lot of miles. Sometimes they even go flying out the back of the pipe!

Hossamania

Rattle solved. For now...

[attach=0]

Y2KRKNG

Well that'll do it. Looks like there was a "cone tab mod" attempted in its past.

ecir50

Quote from: Hossamania on October 10, 2019, 03:34:48 PM

[attach=0,msg1318590]

might have pick up some on the bottom end, going have to put it on the dyno now.

Leed

Interesting solution...  Duct tape wouldn't hold up to the temperature. :SM:
I've been known to use similar re-engineering too.

jmorton10

It's rattling so loud you can hear the rattle over the sound of a stock t-header muffler???

Must be one heck of a loud rattle LOL........

~John
HC 124", Dragula, Pingel air shift W/Dyna Shift Minder & onboard compressor, NOS

Hossamania

Quote from: jmorton10 on October 14, 2019, 12:04:58 PM
It's rattling so loud you can hear the rattle over the sound of a stock t-header muffler???

Must be one heck of a loud rattle LOL........

~John

It was pretty obnoxious! Bordered on embarrassing. Almost. You notice how much money I spent on a fix...

Quote from: Y2KRKNG on October 13, 2019, 06:52:50 PM
Well that'll do it. Looks like there was a "cone tab mod" attempted in its past.

Yes, there was. I bent them once, then unbent them thinking I lost a little top end, then bent two again, because, well, sure, I'm a tuner. Yeah, right.

Quote from: ecir50 on October 13, 2019, 07:34:48 PM
Quote from: Hossamania on October 10, 2019, 03:34:48 PM

[attach=0,msg1318590]

might have pick up some on the bottom end, going have to put it on the dyno now.

Sure, Dyno. By Dyno, I mean it will get hell beat out of it like usual, doubt any new jetting will be done, new pipe when it finally breaks loose and shoots out! Hope no one is behind me.

Hossamania

I've only had a chance to start it, no rattle for now, but I'm out of town for a couple weeks, no real test until I get back.

tdrglide

JB Weld. It's worked so far on an old rattling cycle shack muffler I have.  :SM: