April 24, 2024, 02:03:23 PM

News:

Wolo electric horns

Started by Templer, February 23, 2017, 10:21:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Templer

Just general information: The relay used with there electric horns ARE NOTwater tight!!!! The horn will survive but the relays fill with water causing a drain on your battery. Went thru a heavy rain storm and found the horn stopped! WTF?
Fuse is sealed unit going to battery. Would even make connection click sometimes. Checked the coil in the horn OK tested ok on a battery.Pulled the relay to trouble shoot the intermittent operation and it pulled apart in my hand FULL of rust and water. The replacement cost without shipping from Wolo (web site) is $10.93 for a 30amp/12v relay.You may want to use some type of sealant on the relay bottom or place relay in a plastic bag IF you ride in the rain..  :bf:

Templer

February 23, 2017, 11:21:31 AM #1 Last Edit: February 23, 2017, 11:24:39 AM by Templer
eBay item number:
$1.89 shipping included

koko3052

Is the horn a good buy? Is it REALLY LOUD???

Bigs

The Wolo horn is not to bad and fairly loud but if you have the room for the compressor the Revco air horns are great and can easily be heard.
   Bigs

koko3052

Ya... need something to wake up the azzhole driving beside you & turning into your lane while on the cell phone! :angry:

Boe Cole

Its a standard relay.  Take it to an auto parts store and you can get if for a few $'s.  That is what i had to do when mine drowned several years ago.
We never really grow up, we only learn how to act in public.

Templer

Horn works WELL on my Dyna and looks good too!!  :up: No hope if they cant hear my EXHAUST but it gets the "shut the cell up and drive message" done.  Makes a GREAT inside alarm horn for your man cave/shed.  :speaker: Installed with a 12v FIRE/Bank alarm BELL and a car battery for those power outs and it may not stop them BUT they WILL be saying "What did you say?"  :hyst: It took a crap load of rain and the wiring was good (used dielectric on the connections) Relay is cheap and it needed to be sealed at the bottom!!!

koko3052

MichaelDee

Wolo are decent horns, not the loudest but way better than the stock squeaker. For a bargains, check Wolo site for "scratch & dent" sales.
"When you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there."  GH

98fxstc

just bought a Wolo Bad Boy
the instructions are small print so I went on line to print out a larger version
then I found a couple of reviews that suggest the black 419, which I have, cease to work after a while because of excessive vibrations of the Harley engine
I have a dyna and the horn will be mounted in the position of the stock cowbell on the left hand side under the tank
the chrome 519 is supposedly purpose made for the Harley and handles excessive vibration better
Anyone have any experience with this ?
Thanks

Glide1962

Quote from: 98fxstc on September 02, 2019, 10:36:53 PM
the chrome 519 is supposedly purpose made for the Harley and handles excessive vibration better
Thanks
The horn is plastic and the chrome coating on it lasts about as well as you would expect a "chrome" piece of plastic to.

98fxstc

September 03, 2019, 05:44:08 AM #11 Last Edit: September 03, 2019, 05:53:37 AM by 98fxstc
not talking about the plastic/chrome
the internal parts are supposed to be vibration resistant

Here is the review I found
"This is my second one on my 06 Harley U.C. The first one died after several years. As far as a loud horn on my Harley, which I wanted, it is the best way to go. So much louder than a factory horn, it's unbeleiveable. They give you EVERYTHING you need to get it hooked up and mounted to your bike. Great product. Yes, it has plastic to it but, that's not really an issue for this horn. It does it's job well.
UPDATE!! 9-18-2018:
My 3rd Wolo Bad Boy Horn has failed! I'm disappointed that this horn really does't get used much, at all. So, I cannot in good faith or clear conscience recommend this horn due to it's failure after approximately 1 hours worth of honking.
I hope WOLO sees this and addresses it in a satisfactory manner.
UPDATE 9-27-2018:
WOLO addressed this very quickly! I was issued a new, updated horn. They have corrected a problem resulting from vibrations from Harley's that cause a component to " loosen" or fail. Installed yesterday and it seems to be louder than the original. You'll need model
# 519."

IronButt70

Quote from: Glide1962 on September 03, 2019, 03:34:47 AM
Quote from: 98fxstc on September 02, 2019, 10:36:53 PM
Thanks
The horn is plastic and the chrome coating on it lasts about as well as you would expect a "chrome" piece of plastic to.
They only get so-so reviews on Amazon and there where complaints about the 519 dated 6 years ago. How could that be an updated model for HDs?  :scratch:
No one else put you on the road you're on. It's your own asphalt.

Glide1962

FWIW, the "chrome" one I have is several years old (not sure exactly how many years) and still works fine... just looks like chit.

Jim Bronson

Keep in mind you get a louder horn with new bikes, so better head on down to your dealer.  :teeth:
Going down that long, lonesome highway. Gonna live life my way.

Glide1962

Which models got a louder horn?  Ronnie's parts finder shows the same part number (69060-90H) for both my '02 and a '19 Road Glide.

Hossamania

Quote from: Glide1962 on September 04, 2019, 04:55:39 AM
Which models got a louder horn?  Ronnie's parts finder shows the same part number (69060-90H) for both my '02 and a '19 Road Glide.

The new one is louder. Because, well, new!
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

Jim Bronson

I think they started with the Rushmore touring bikes. My '15 RK is much louder than my '05 dyna was.
Going down that long, lonesome highway. Gonna live life my way.

Phu Cat

I've had a STEBEL air horn on our '12 Triglide for about 7 years.  It's loud and still works fine.  They can be found on Amazon and there are plenty of models to choose from.

PC
Too much horsepower is almost enough.

Rusticwater

Quote from: Glide1962 on September 04, 2019, 04:55:39 AM
Quote from: Jim Bronson on September 04, 2019, 08:42:06 AM
I think they started with the Rushmore touring bikes. My '15 RK is much louder than my '05 dyna was.

All 2014 and later models that have a side mount horn have the upgraded design that's 5db (about 41%) louder than the previous one.  The GMA14 spring supplement catalog and all following annual GMA catalogs have carried it.

I replaced the original horn on my 2010 Dyna with the new design, it made a difference...
Support the Maine lobster industry

moose

my wolo (air) actually broke the bracket that held the original horn on. So I got the two piece air horn and mounted them to the engine guard right next to the l/s down tube. It's been holding up grate and no breakage :agree:.   I hid the relay out of the rain but sealed it in a sealer bag and silicone around the wires so no water can get in
Moose aka Glenn-

Phu Cat

Wonder how that 'new' horn would stack up to these new fangled air horns?

PC
Too much horsepower is almost enough.

smoserx1

QuoteWonder how that 'new' horn would stack up to these new fangled air horns?

Just a tip but a relay and a direct battery connection (with a fuse) should make your stock horn work good.  It did for me.  The older carburetor touring models have a place for 2 more relays under the seat to the right side of the starter and brake light ones, and if you have a FLHT the empty speaker mounts under the fairing are good places to add another horn.  I added a relay and a high tone car horn under the fairing.  I found 2 genuine H-D relays including the rubber saddle on eBay for about 12 dollars and bought a Wolo high tone horn at O'Rileys for about 20 bucks.  My horns are loud as crap now, have that dual tone like a big American car and the modification was fairly cheap.