March 28, 2024, 11:05:23 PM

News:

1/4 Turn Throttles

Started by Sambo62, June 11, 2019, 09:26:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sambo62

June 11, 2019, 09:26:21 AM Last Edit: June 11, 2019, 09:36:46 AM by Sambo62
Anyone got any experience with them?  Ran across G2 Ergonomics sight and see they make one.  Just curious as to anyone's opinion.

Roadflyer

They make the throttle return springs feel a lot stronger.

Breeze

In my opinion 1/4 turn throttles are too sensitive for a street bike.  A  bump or even a twitch of a tired wrist can make a throttle change. Not a "whoa Betsy" change, but enough to be irritating after a few occurrences.  Just my take on them.
I'm starting to believe my body is gonna outlast my mind.

Sambo62

QuoteIn my opinion 1/4 turn throttles are too sensitive for a street bike.  A  bump or even a twitch of a tired wrist can make a throttle change. Not a "whoa Betsy" change, but enough to be irritating after a few occurrences.  Just my take on them.

This is my main concern.  Production throttle requires too much twist to go to WOT IMO, but 1/4 turn seems it would be "twitchy."  On closer inspection, it does look like it has an increasing radius design so the throttle input off idle wouldn't be as great an 1/4 to WOT for a given amount of turn.

PC_Hater

Try it, you might like it, but do be careful!
I bought one about 10 years ago and the man behind the parts counter questioned me very thoroughly about which bike I was going to fit it to.
"Enfield Bullet 500" and he sold it me without a qualm.
Improved acceleration with a slight twist of the wrist, well worth it.

An Ultra may well live very happily with it.
A highly tuned Dyna might get a bit too exciting for normal road use.
YMMV etc.
1942 WLA45 chop, 1999 FLTR(not I), 2000 1200S

Barrett

Years ago I put one on my Kawi triple. I took it off after a very short ride..

PC_Hater

Quote from: Barrett on June 12, 2019, 12:10:06 PM
Years ago I put one on my Kawi triple. I took it off after a very short ride..
Enfield Bullet vs Kawasaki triple: guess which one becomes more 'fun' than you need when fitted with a 1/4 turn throttle!

Barrett

It was dangerous on mine... A bump in the road was a wheelie waiting to happen.. 

rbabos

For several reasons stated here, they are dangerous on a street bike.
Ron

Hossamania

How about a 1/2 or 3/4 turn throttle? That would fit better with my riding style, 1/4 would be too twitchy for me.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take away everything you have.

Nastytls

Yeah, it's too bad someone doesn't make a happy medium.... The HD throttle has to turn too far for full throttle.

Barrett

The large blade in a bigger throttle body gives a quick throttle feel.

Sambo62

Thanks guys... I think I may steer away from this as I have a pretty decent build on my Dyna (126/122).  Afraid one twitch may end up with me in the ditch or worse... lol...

And yes, a throttle tube with approx half the turn of the stock would be nice.

Thanks again

cheech

Quote from: Sambo62 on June 13, 2019, 08:50:16 AM
Thanks guys... I think I may steer away from this as I have a pretty decent build on my Dyna (126/122).  Afraid one twitch may end up with me in the ditch or worse... lol...

And yes, a throttle tube with approx half the turn of the stock would be nice.

Thanks again
They spell whisky throttle to me. If you get one, be sure to roll the Gopro and post footage.  :bike:

Hossamania

Whiskey throttle! Did it a few times early on in my riding career. Fortunately for me, long before GoPro and phone cameras.

Sambo62

QuoteWhiskey throttle! Did it a few times early on in my riding career. Fortunately for me, long before GoPro and phone cameras.

SO glad my youth passed in an era long before "instant infamy."  All that's left is a few faded photographs and soon I won't even be recognizable in those.   LOL...

PoorUB

I put a brake lever on in place of a twist grip on a minibike. Made for some interesting crashing for the 5 minutes  it was in place!

I wised up quickly and bought a twist grip!
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

Heatnbeat

Oh heck UB, I forgot about them. I was a poor kid and always used bicycle handbrake levers for throttle levers.
I did learn about rubber and gasoline when I used a hose from an enema bag for gas line.

Sambo62

Am I the only little kid that tried pouring gas in a styrofoam cup?  My old man laughed his ass off watching that.  I must of been about 6 or 7.

Hossamania

Quote from: Sambo62 on June 20, 2019, 09:08:49 AM
Am I the only little kid that tried pouring gas in a styrofoam cup?  My old man laughed his ass off watching that.  I must of been about 6 or 7.

Done it! Turns out whiskey melts styrofoam too, just not as quickly. It ends up melting and leaking out into your lap after a couple miles on a road trip.

Jeevz

Quote from: Hossamania on June 20, 2019, 10:52:57 AM
Quote from: Sambo62 on June 20, 2019, 09:08:49 AM

Done it! Turns out whiskey melts styrofoam too, just not as quickly. It ends up melting and leaking out into your lap after a couple miles on a road trip.

Misery loves company, make that three of us.  I'll add, naturally finding out the hard way, that whiskey also melts the lining in a paper cup after 30 minutes or so rendering it useless for anything other than watering your lap.   :embarrassed:

1workinman

Quote from: Hossamania on June 13, 2019, 03:33:08 AM
How about a 1/2 or 3/4 turn throttle? That would fit better with my riding style, 1/4 would be too twitchy for me.
Damn lol I to old for that kind of excitement on either of my bikes cant even imagine the damage that would happen going into a corner with either a SS 124 or the SS 143 with a quarter turn throttle lol hold my beer and watch this crap lol

bump

I checked my 02 FLHTC and 78 FXS and the throttle on both turn 90* when looking at end of handlebar. I guess I don't know what you mean 1/4 turn. Both bikes are stock throttles.

PC_Hater

Quote from: bump on June 21, 2019, 02:59:11 AM
I checked my 02 FLHTC and 78 FXS and the throttle on both turn 90* when looking at end of handlebar. I guess I don't know what you mean 1/4 turn. Both bikes are stock throttles.

45degrees or less fast-action throttles.
Good for slow old bikes, OK for most 'normal road bikes' if you like the results, probably good for racing, mainly bad for fast road bikes.