2017 CVO 114 Street Glide Backfiring after new oil Pump and seal install.

Started by Vision, April 08, 2019, 04:44:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vision

Hey Guys,  asking for a riding partner.  Bike rolled into Harley with no issues.  Already had Stage 1 with Hi flow air cleaner, D&D Billet Cat and Thundermax. 

Harley installed the latest version oil pump and back plate and re-assembled.  When he picked up the bike,  it rode terrible going home, backfiring on acceleration and power seemed to be compromised.  Tune checked out fine.  My initial thoughts after some research was an exhaust leak or  possible timing issue.  Any thoughts on what the issue could be?

PoorUB

Disconnect the compression releases and check the compression, with the throttle plate heald open, between the two cylinders. I wonder if the dealer got the cam timing off.

Crap, thinking Twin Cam.

Can you get the timing off a tooth and still run on a M8? An exhaust leak will not hurt power a great amount. Sounds like it goes back to the dealer!
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

Ohio HD

Quote from: PoorUB on April 08, 2019, 06:15:40 PM
Disconnect the compression releases and check the compression, with the throttle plate heald open, between the two cylinders. I wonder if the dealer got the cam timing off.

It only has one cam, both cylinders will be the same.

Vision

Thanks guys!  It's already back at the dealer,  but they seem to be dragging their feet with going over their work. 

If anyone else has any ideas,  please chime in.

mike jesse

86fxwg

86fxwg 06flhx 10flhx

Hossamania

If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take away everything you have.

86fxwg

86fxwg 06flhx 10flhx

92flhtcu

Thundermax...Did the dealer do anything with the DigiTech? Possible it lost the tune?
Need a bigger garage

Vision

Thanks guys.  Still nothing from the dealer yet but will definitely have him get them to make sure the 02 sensors are installed correctly and to also check the Cam timing.

Vision

Quote from: 92flhtcu on April 10, 2019, 04:52:30 AM
Thundermax...Did the dealer do anything with the DigiTech? Possible it lost the tune?

No Thundermax issues that we know of.  Even tried updating to a new Base provided by Thundermax.  Same condition exists.

codyshop

They mixed up an intake and exhaust pushrod on one cylinder.   

FSG

Quote from: codyshop on April 11, 2019, 09:37:19 PM
They mixed up an intake and exhaust pushrod on one cylinder.   

HTF did they get that wrong, it hits you in the eye and beggers disbelief 

the below pic is correct

BVHOG

If you don't have a sense of humor you probably have no sense at all.

Vision

Thanks Guys.  Both suggestions make a lot of sense.  They still have his bike.  Not sure how up front they will be should it come down to something they did.  I will keep you posted once We find find out more.   

markymark

I would think by now that they have had enough time to diagnose.

Vision

Dealing with Harley in New York and close to the city is a bit different than anywhere else I've experienced in terms of service.  Nothing happens fast up here.  Some good dealerships with some capable techs,  but the amount of bikes being serviced right now coming out of the cold weather is unreal.  Not a fun experience.  Especially when they're doing exploratory work.   I don't think any tech wants to say they screwed up.  So you're dealing with egos as well.  I'm sure that's not a North Eastern thing though. Lol.

markymark

As a service tech for Dodge, I can tell you that any comeback on a service performed takes priority. Whether the tech made a mistake or not (things happen) you should have priority over others considering you paid for something to be done. Don't let them jerk you around.

Vision

MarkyMark,  I agree with you.   You just can't make this stuff up.  My friend is being patient right now.  However that will change in a few days.

PoorUB

It has been a week since he picked it up, and they have not even looked at it? :wtf: If it had been my F'up it would have been in the shop when the first service bay opened up, if not sooner!
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

aharp

Has the crankcase been drained? If it is sumping that would affect the tune as the ECM would think the engine is at WOT since the engine would be under increased load with a case full of oil.
Speed costs money. How fast do you want to spend?

Vision

Aaarp,  funny you should ask.  He spoke the dealer today and now they are suspecting sumping.  After  experiencing this myself on my 2018 RGS,  I never considered that with the new oil pump and back plate just installed on his bike.  However, the symptoms are very much like what's experienced when sumping.  More to come.