March 28, 2024, 11:18:29 AM

News:

Thunder header vs burns ?

Started by MakoHD, April 13, 2019, 07:47:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MakoHD

What do you guys think about the thunder header ve the burns exhaust?

kd

KD

rigidthumper

There are preferred uses for each- I wouldn't use a Burns on a stage 1 touring bike, and I wouldn't bolt a Thunderheader on a 124HC.
Ignorance is bliss, and accuracy expensive. How much of either can you afford?

MakoHD

It's a well built 124, all of the above... I am using a Khrome werks exhaust currently and from the bikes I've ran up against I haven't had any competition. The reason I'm using the krome werks it's because it the only company that made it chrome black and it looks good with the color of my bike and I wanted the sleeper look. Now I'm over the sleeper look and I'm trying to pinch every HP, I'm doing the 64mm screaming eagle with the intake ported by WARD vs the 62 hip I have now. And I am going to retune my bike but i might as well tune it with the correct exhaust since the  tuner I'm going to use is 8 hours away.

turboprop

Quote from: MakoHD on April 13, 2019, 07:47:06 PM
What do you guys think about the thunder header ve the burns exhaust?

Which Thunderheader?

Most people only know about the legacy style TH's, which would be way too small on a modern big block. But there is the new X-Series from Thunderheader that they claim is for 113" or larger engines.

http://www.thunderheader.net/1074x.htm
'We' like this' - Said by the one man operation.

MakoHD

turboprop

Quote from: MakoHD on April 14, 2019, 11:44:46 AM
I'm referring to an M8,

Seeing as this is the M8 section I would hope so. TH makes an X pipe for the M8. Look around.
'We' like this' - Said by the one man operation.

kd

April 14, 2019, 01:31:20 PM #7 Last Edit: April 14, 2019, 05:25:48 PM by kd
The Burns pipe is well suited for a 124.  As delivered it's more of a horsepower pipe but you can get the torque back by using a fixture in the end of the megaphone muffler.  A few on this site have done just that.  I am working on a different style stinger yet untested.
KD

MakoHD

My next question about the burns would be how loud is it? Is it annoying loud?

kd

Oh, it''s loud with the 3" baffle.  I think NoCents or one of the other members may chime in with his opinion on the quieting effect the fixture had on his.  I am a couple of days from having mine finished using SuperTrapp 4" discs but I won't get to hear it until my transmission and swingarm swap is done and it hits the dyno for a touch-up.  I'll share those results later.   
KD

MakoHD

That'll be great if they can help me with some information to guide me the right way. How long does the burns take get build? From your experience.

BVHOG

Just tuned a 107  with Andrews 450 with a Thunder header, not my favorite exhaust  for looks but it made a great torque curve and really sounded nice on the bike.  Fitment was so-so and it took nearly 10 weeks to get pipe and another 3 to get the one chrome shield swapped out to black like the rest of them.  Personally I feel it is more than enough pipe for a 124, these M8 bikes are a whole new ballgame and from what I have seen do not like the exhaust too open.
If you don't have a sense of humor you probably have no sense at all.

MakoHD

I break my head a lot because I'm trying to have a pretty bike and at the same time I'm trying to squeeze every horsepower out of it. I personally like the look of the krome werks  that I have now but I feel like I'm leaving some power on the table so if I'm going to change my exhaust  system I might as well go all out or not do anything. I'm looking for 7-10hp between the  ward intake the right exhaust and the baker transmission. I'm I dreaming?

joe_lyons

I vote Thunderheader x-series 2-1 nothing wrong with it going on a 124".
Powerhouse Cycle & Dyno - Performance is our passion 816-425-4901

HD/Wrench

If you only looking for the top end power the burns will thump the others but you do not get to have an opinion on loud or that you have to build it or that the cost is silly . You want the most well you will pay for that in more ways than one.

your spending silly money to swap a FBW unit for another that is ported to maybe gain a few in the last 600 RPM range and when you swap the pipe there is no way to tell if you got any gains with that set up unless you re test with that pipe . just saying if you want to see where your money is going.

I get you want more and porting it will flow more air , as to if your kit will use it well only one way to test that set up .

Big cam at least +1 mm over on the valves and not the SE CNC head either .  stack the comp ratio get it back close to stock CCP with what ever big cam you choose . and see where it goes .

MakoHD

Quote from: GMR-PERFORMANCE on April 16, 2019, 07:01:26 AM
If you only looking for the top end power the burns will thump the others but you do not get to have an opinion on loud or that you have to build it or that the cost is silly . You want the most well you will pay for that in more ways than one.

your spending silly money to swap a FBW unit for another that is ported to maybe gain a few in the last 600 RPM range and when you swap the pipe there is no way to tell if you got any gains with that set up unless you re test with that pipe . just saying if you want to see where your money is going.

I get you want more and porting it will flow more air , as to if your kit will use it well only one way to test that set up .

Big cam at least +1 mm over on the valves and not the SE CNC head either .  stack the comp ratio get it back close to stock CCP with what ever big cam you choose . and see where it goes .

I'm going to do the intake because i can sell the HPI and recuperate a little from that. now i'm second guessing if i should change the exhaust because accordingly to some other company's that have done back to back testing they state that the khrome werks 2 into 2 exhaust makes as much power as the 2 into 1 it might make a couple less foot pounds but it has a much better mid range. i cant forget this is a bike that its actually ridden, this bike is driving from Miami to Sturgis this year and at least once a month to NC. my cam is currently a 544 lift and i wouldn't want to go any bigger to not stress the valve train too much, i also need to take into consideration that we ride at 90+ for long period of time. THE HEADS ARE C&C ported by Ward  and they do have 1 mm over size valves. i'm a "jockey" my self lol i weight 155lbs i'm going to take the bike to the track once the Baker is installed so i can back up what i'm saying. but yes i'm still debating if i want to change exhaust system. i'm also looking for a really good tuner in Florida that can get everything the bike can produce and not ping. 

HD/Wrench

tuner is simple Doc , but I do not think he will tune with the PV . Myself tune with both ,   

as for power I there are a few sheets out there making pretty stout numbers , Myself until i can see a few more on a few other dynos they are great build on that drum .

I have a complete kit for a customer in process now with the ward heads ported SE 64 billet cat and will run the Comp 248 stick plenty of cam there . 124 CI  will set comp ratio 11.5 Would like more but do not feel I can get there without a dome piston and this kit is a flat top .

Will have domes for these shortly 12.1 will be static and I feel that with the quest for large power we are going to need 230 + CCP to make them ring a bell across the board .