Need a new head unit for my 2002 Electra Glide HELP

Started by klammer76, July 04, 2019, 02:19:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

klammer76

Hello,

I have a 2002 Electra Glide with a Biketronics BT1005 controller and a BT Titan BT444/445 75 watt amp. Not the biggest I know but this has served me well for several years. Have older Kenwood 5 1/2" speakers as I recall. They work very well.

Yesterday out of the blue my Sony MEX M70BT head unit went south. Unit is on and plays my ipod through the USB which is what I do 99.9% of the time. However, the unit is frozen, can't turn it off, none of the controls work (on the unit or the handlebar controls). I have tried to reset it, no go. Unplugged from power, plugged back in, no go. So, I need a new head unit. I have looked through the threads and am confused. It seems that these units have changed a bit in the last 4 years.

I have looked around and see that an adaptor is needed a lot now for hands free? Yet the blue port is there on the back of the units in the pictures. Will the Biketronics BT1005 just plug into that port for control? I also use a harness from BT that is plug and play wiring from the head unit to controller for the Sony units. If I go with a different make I assume I will have to splice or lengthen the wires supplied with that unit? I would like to get away from the Sony as I find it is just too confusing for a non audiophile to set the equalizer. I can wrench, install, etc but I struggle with audio settings and that type of technology.

So, looking for some ideas on what to go with. I need the bluetooth so I can see a call is coming in and needs to accept my ipod. Not looking to break the bank, just need to get something in quickly as I have a Sturgis trip planned. Kenwood, JVC, Alpine, Sony?? One nice thing about the M70BT was it had a long usb whip. I had that run to my right saddlebag and could charge my phone while playing the ipod through the front usb port. Not many like that around now.

Thanks for any help and feed back on what works well for others here.
klammer

klammer76

Wound up going with a another Sony, MEX GS620BT from Biketronics. Got a good deal and they have always treated me right in the past.