March 29, 2024, 12:59:01 AM

News:

torrington bearing. how many rolers

Started by MortGarson, June 11, 2019, 10:44:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MortGarson

Hi everyone.
I'm sure this has been asked but I cant find where. How many rollers are in a torrington cam bearing. The Koyo replacement has 29 however I only fished 25 out of the old one. The bearing lost rollers when I was trying to pull it out. Im hoping the older ones had less bearings otherwise the missing ones are inside my crankcase.
Thanks for your help
Glenn

MortGarson

just found two more in the cam chest so I guess it is suppose to have 29. Magnet down the crankcase I guess, or case splitting time

Scotty

Sometimes not using the right tool to remove that bearing ends up costing more in the long run than the tool.
Good luck hope you find them all.

Mule

MortGarson

I found the rest of the loose bearings. I spent hours fishing through the crankcase cylinder holes to no avail with a flexible magnet rod thing . I then bent the mechanics flexible magnet on a stick thing through the cam bearing hole and retrieved them both with in 1 minute. Now I can chuck the bike on a trailer and get the local harley shop (not a dealer) to pull the bearing out and put the new one in. I'm not buying a special tool for a job I hopefully wont have to do again for another 100,000 miles.
Cheers Glenn

Scotty

Quote from: MortGarson on June 14, 2019, 12:52:14 AM
I'm not buying a special tool for a job I hopefully wont have to do again for another 100,000 miles.

You are just not a tool junkie like some of us   :hyst:
Good that you found all the pieces though.

Dan89flstc

Quote from: MortGarson on June 14, 2019, 12:52:14 AM
  I'm not buying a special tool for a job I hopefully wont have to do again for another 100,000 miles.

The one in my `89 has 140k on it so far, I`m not buying the tool either. :soda:
US Navy Veteran
A&P Mechanic

Burnout

I have the tools for both EVO/Shovel and TC.

Reasonable rates for professional personal service.

NW Oregon
They don't call me Ironhead Rick just because I'm "hard headed"

thumper 823

Georges Garge is 80 bucks-
Plus it is a GREAT PLACE!
Seems cheap compared to a case split or dragging dwn twn to some other
place that will charge you the same monies as a tool to do it.
I think removed mine using a lifter removal tool......over 7 years ago.
But like said I don't mind buying tools-they are cheaper than paying for someone else's education at your expense
D Troop 3/5, - C/16 ,162AHC, Mekong delta.
Rising from the Ashes  UHIH

HogMike

Quote from: thumper 823 on June 14, 2019, 09:28:18 AM
Georges Garge is 80 bucks-
Plus it is a GREAT PLACE!
Seems cheap compared to a case split or dragging dwn twn to some other
place that will charge you the same monies as a tool to do it.
I think removed mine using a lifter removal tool......over 7 years ago.
But like said I don't mind buying tools-they are cheaper than paying for someone else's education at your expense

Got the same mind set!
I have a small tool cabinet just for Harley tools, either ones I've made or store bought. Got lots of George's stuff. Good tools.

Use them often and saves an expensive trip to a shop.
:missed:
HOGMIKE
SoCal

screem

+1 on buying specialty tools, i have a collection of inexpensive specialty tools, some i bought, some i have made, i always figure i can do just as well as most of motorcycle " mechanics" out there. sometimes it takes me a try or two, lots of reading and watching youtube videos, not much i cant figure out, at fraction of the cost of the dealer or local Indie shop. i havent had any of my bikes in a shop in years.. and they always run right.