March 28, 2024, 01:05:41 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

V-Rod market

Started by tomcat64, October 28, 2010, 02:33:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hd06myway

The young sport bike crowd isn't going to buy one, they aren't setup for sport riding, and they aren't fast enough to keep up with the speed or handling of a Hyabusa, X14, F6 or F12 kind of bikes.  HD made the same mistake they did with the Buell, it's a bike that neither fits a cruiser or a sport bike, it's an odd ball... I have to laugh when I read these "they need to market to younger rider" comments, I know the kids who ride the rice rockets, the V-Rod is NOT a crotch rocket, nor was the Buell.  Best thing HD could do is make an FXRT type sport tourer out of it, with saddle bags, a small tour trunk, I think that would increase sales.  They sell real well in S. America, but not here in the states.  It would not surprise me to see HD discontinue them, but I have a feeling they have something in mind with that engine and would hate to do that... it's hard to sell a Harley that doesn't look like one.

Rab

I've had my 2010 DX since new after owning a Shovel for 17 years, (missed the whole Evo thing) and there is no way I'd ever get rid of it. Though I've done quite a few mods to it, it's the best bike I've ever owned. 170 HP, cant get that out of a air cooled engine!

easyricer

"All in all, they seem to be the nicest Honda, Harley ever made."

Ok I'm just as guilty as most. A few years ago a young local kid went to Ft Worth Harley and bought a used 03 Vrod. His first stop was in my shop. I was checking the bike out when he said "What can we do to make it sound like a Harley?" I couldn't keep my trap shut and told him to take it back to where he got it from and buy a Harley.
I have a couple of Vrod customers who come in for service once or twice a year. They have done nothing to their bikes other than ride them. I rode one for the first time and had the same statement, "Damned nice HONDA!"
I know that these bikes have failed as far as sales and marketing but I think they are a good look into the future of our beloved Harley Davidson. I think if they would have tied them closer to Buell than they did the FXR, they d have been much more popular.
EASY
Just ride the damned thing!

Nebraskarider1

Been thinking about this one, he lowers the price $500 every 2 weeks,  :smilep:     http://grandisland.craigslist.org/mcy/3195612401.html

tomcat64

well,, i guess i started this thread and now i should update it,, my wife LOVES her 2003 v-rod, rode it to denver and back last summer and neither her or the bike had any problems,, in the last couple of months i have traded in 2 and bought a 2010 off the street, i have all three priced at what i would concider cheap, but yet nobody has even taken a serious look at any of them. we sold 1 new ,,,2012.. "a" last year and still have the 2013 that came in last Aug,, unfortunatly the only way we can get them sold is by selling the at cost or a couple of hundo's over... it's too bad cause i still think it's a hell of bike!!

rbabos

Quote from: tomcat64 on November 12, 2012, 01:25:52 PM
well,, i guess i started this thread and now i should update it,, my wife LOVES her 2003 v-rod, rode it to denver and back last summer and neither her or the bike had any problems,, in the last couple of months i have traded in 2 and bought a 2010 off the street, i have all three priced at what i would concider cheap, but yet nobody has even taken a serious look at any of them. we sold 1 new ,,,2012.. "a" last year and still have the 2013 that came in last Aug,, unfortunatly the only way we can get them sold is by selling the at cost or a couple of hundo's over... it's too bad cause i still think it's a hell of bike!!
Dealer here has sold 2 in the last year, 3 with me included. They only get x number of these and seem to move them eventually. V rods  appeal to lots of people in the metric crowd too but the price keeps them from following through. Big change for me from an fxstc to this and so far no regrets. Aftermark parts, expecially exhaust selection is weak for them unless you like to make a ton of noise. :hyst:
Ron

88b

As Viennahog said they are popular in Germany, see a lot of them at Faak etc. but in England most consider them girls bikes. In fact I know two girls who traded theirs for Softails.
I consider it as HD's only attempt at something new rather than a parts bin new model and they got it so wrong but they won't admit it or spent so much on they can't go back. IMO Harley Davidson is about tradition something the HD bean counters try and ignore . For the V Rod to have succeeded it needed to look more like a Harley and importantly sound like one, so what ever it took it had to be a 45 degree motor . Many have seen the V Rod baggers etc. Todd from THP drew why don't HD just give him some cash and sell them, just move the power down the rev range .

rbabos

Autobahn. Try that on a sotail day after day.  :hyst:
Ron

88b

Quote from: rbabos on November 18, 2012, 07:50:26 AM
Ron
Obviously you haven't , I have and I'd ride a Heritage 5 miles or 500 miles over a V Rod. Most years I ride across Europe but only day 1 and the last few hundred miles home we use the big roads. in France most are payage ( toll roads ) so if you exceed the speed limit at every toll booth there is a police car and your timed ticket is the evidence.
Seven bikes on the last trip 2 Road Kings, 1 Ultra, 1 Road glide, 2 Heritages and 1 V Rod which one broke down ?

who got cold because he had no screen or lowers ? who always needed gas first because of the small tank ?

I'm not totally anti V Rod they are fun to ride, but so are fat girls and you don't want your friends to see you doing that either  :wink:

rbabos

Sorry, even after the 120ci I will not go back to the big twin. I can ride way further at speed with the rod and feel less beat up at the end. Agree, it is a pig on fuel.
Ron

88b

The guy that owned the SE Ultra in the pic also has a 100 th anniversary V Rod from new says he will never sell. Life would be boring if we all liked exactly the same thing, I don't care what anyone rides Honda Vespa Triumph HD or Victory as long as you enjoy it. I see a Victory Cross Country in my future and that's probably as close to a V Rod bagger as it get at the moment

kristian

Quote from: Hillsidecyclecom on June 20, 2012, 11:54:02 AM
Just modified an 06 Destroyer here.
Mega-Cycle custom ground cams, headwork.
We've bumped the regular V-Rods up to 1450cc with Falicon cranks/bb kits/cams/heads/t/bodys, etc.
All in all, they seem to be the nicest Honda, Harley ever made.
Scott

lol.    funny that we need the germans/japanese to design the engines/parts but make fun of them for being imports,  then drop all there components into a frame and call them our own??  hilarious.   :doh:   :soda:

Kris

Carl 1969

I'd consider giving one a go, as a 2nd bike, but every used one I've seen around here was listed for "new" prices. I'm assuming they sell as well as the ones at the dealer.
Lieber stehend sterben, als kniend leben
Sergeant First Class, US Army, Retired

rbabos

Quote from: Carl 1969 on August 18, 2014, 10:17:39 PM
I'd consider giving one a go, as a 2nd bike, but every used one I've seen around here was listed for "new" prices. I'm assuming they sell as well as the ones at the dealer.
Made the same observation. I kept reading about them not holding resale value but I couldn't find any deals. So close to new prices I just bought new. Dealer here sells all the ones they get. It's a way smaller market but none the less the market is there. Several in my town now.
Ron

clawdog60

I think that engine would work for a properly built adventure touring bike,leaning toward the off road side. That market is pretty hot now,I'm just waiting for Ktm to put cruise control on the adventure R.

chopper

Local guy has an 02 Vrod for sale now. Granted, its a bad time of year to sell. He's asking 5500.
Another guy nearby has an newer one (I forgot the exact year) set up with the Tour Glide fairing and factory hard bags. He's asking 7500.
Got a case of dynamite, I could hold out here all night

Oclaf

Quote from: 88b on November 19, 2012, 11:40:16 AM
Quote from: rbabos on November 18, 2012, 07:50:26 AM
Ron
Obviously you haven't , I have and I'd ride a Heritage 5 miles or 500 miles over a V Rod. Most years I ride across Europe but only day 1 and the last few hundred miles home we use the big roads. in France most are payage ( toll roads ) so if you exceed the speed limit at every toll booth there is a police car and your timed ticket is the evidence.
Seven bikes on the last trip 2 Road Kings, 1 Ultra, 1 Road glide, 2 Heritages and 1 V Rod which one broke down ?

who got cold because he had no screen or lowers ? who always needed gas first because of the small tank ?

I'm not totally anti V Rod they are fun to ride, but so are fat girls and you don't want your friends to see you doing that either  :wink:

you pay to travel a road and they give you a ticket? F THAT! and no, fat chicks are not fun, in any way shape or form, no more than riding a scooter...that is another myth perpetuated by who I don't know or care to know, just get tired of hearing that.  :banghead:

88b

Oclaf there's a speed limit usually 130 kph which is about 80 mph, it's no different on toll roads in America, I got caught at 122 mph on the Florida Turnpike, state trooper wasn't impressed.

clawdog60

I had an 02 for about a year. Got to show it off @the 03anniversary bash. Power or 0to60 was not impressive and the solid wheels sucked riding in a cross wind. Ol boy in NC asked me what kind of flying machine it was.

harborjohn

Quote from: clawdog60 on October 06, 2014, 01:46:23 PM
I had an 02 for about a year. Got to show it off @the 03anniversary bash. Power or 0to60 was not impressive and the solid wheels sucked riding in a cross wind. Ol boy in NC asked me what kind of flying machine it was.

3.5 sec 0-60 mph is very impressive for a non-sport bike.

clawdog60

2 feels better in the crotch to me. Hell my rk does 3.5 if im on concrete

rbabos

Quote from: clawdog60 on October 07, 2014, 12:43:15 PM
What engine. Sure as hell isn't with a stock one.
Ron

clawdog60

harborjohn

Quote from: clawdog60 on October 07, 2014, 12:43:15 PM

A RK would need at least 120hp to run under a 3.5 sec 0-60 time.