Harley Screamin' Eagle High Flow Exhaust for 2019 M8

Started by Ken R, August 17, 2019, 07:52:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ken R

Don't know if I mentioned it, but I found a used High Flow exhaust for my M8 2019 FLHKT.  Took the Fulsac mufflers off the stock headers and installed the High Flow. 
First, the motorcycle didn't sound right with the stock headers and CVO mufflers with Fulsac baffles.  The headers' catalytic converter combines the cylinders' firing and doesn't sound good to me.

The High Flow with Catalytic converters in each muffler sounds better, but still gosh awful quiet at about 88 db at idle.

I removed the baffles totally (they're only about 5" long) and now it sounds better.  But still, not lopey enough like a harley should sound. 

So thinking about the torque cam to give it more "lope". 

Yeah, I'm deranged.

BVHOG

Fulsac baffles and a decat sounds great, have you considered that?
If you don't have a sense of humor you probably have no sense at all.

Ken R

Quote from: BVHOG on August 18, 2019, 06:12:34 AM
Fulsac baffles and a decat sounds great, have you considered that?

I have considered that.  And I have a set of 2019 CVO mufflers with Fulsac baffles.  But at this point, I fear warranty problems if I take it in for work while on a trip away from my home dealership.  Too much money lost if my basic and/or ESP get cancelled.   So I'm trying to be happy with SE stuff for now.

calif phil

Ken did you know that you can take your ESP to an indy for extended warranty repairs while on the road.  They won't void your warranty.  The only drawback being,  deductible is $100 instead of $50 at a dealer.  A lot of ESP riders are not aware of that. 

IronButt70

Quote from: calif phil on August 24, 2019, 12:56:36 PM
Ken did you know that you can take your ESP to an indy for extended warranty repairs while on the road.  They won't void your warranty.  The only drawback being,  deductible is $100 instead of $50 at a dealer.  A lot of ESP riders are not aware of that.
Does that indy have to be certified by HD?
No one else put you on the road you're on. It's your own asphalt.

Jaycee1964

I have a decat head pipe and a set of CVO mufflers, the round ones.  It is very quiet (which I like) but when I roll into it the sound wakes up just enough to know I'm on a Harley.  I used to like louder but now creeping into 60's I enjoy the silence more..
If you have to stop and think about if it is right or wrong, Assume it is wrong.

kjd

No, the Indy does not need to be certified by Harley to do extended warranty work. We do it all the time.

wiliturk

Does the hi flow sound any better than stock? Could you tell any performance difference?

Ken R

Quote from: wiliturk on September 22, 2019, 08:00:19 PM
Does the hi flow sound any better than stock? Could you tell any performance difference?

It does sound different.
It seemed to me that with the catalytic converter in the headers, the individual cylinders were muffled together.  Even with the Fulsac baffled SE mufflers.   With the hi-flow, I think the sound of the individual cylinders comes out.  I have removed those short little baffles from the hi flow.  Sound was only very slightly increased.
But, the motor doesn't sound as good to me as my 2013 with Jackpot headers and Fulsac-cored SE mufflers . . . . but it is what it is.

A friend has exactly the same setup except he had the "Torque Cam" installed.  His motor has a definite lope at idle that sounds much better than  mine (to me).   It SOUNDS more like a Harley.

Could I tell the difference in performance?  Not really. BUt  I'm not much of a throttle twister, anyway.  On my last 2,000 mile trip a week ago, I seemed to get a tiny bit better  fuel efficiency that on our 4,500 mile trip in July. (comparing to my friend's 2013 103 on both trips)

HD/Wrench

ken I think I have a few laying around if you want to try a stock head pipe that has no cat in it ?? just an option