March 28, 2024, 05:45:58 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Vulcan FXR shift parts install

Started by hbkeith, July 28, 2019, 03:23:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hbkeith

got my inner primary , clutch etc installed in 92 FXR , dry fitting outer primary I notice the shifter sleeve needs to go in to the next groove , so I have the locator plate in the 2nd groove but putting outer primary and inspection cover on , the outer o ring is out past the inspection cover , if I move the shifter sleeve in to the 3rd groove then it pushes the shift lever arm into my 113 engine , all new Vulcan parts . am I having a brain fart ? what am I missing ?

Deye76

July 28, 2019, 04:31:14 PM #1 Last Edit: July 28, 2019, 07:27:14 PM by FSG
Every OE tube I've measured has a different length measurement. Might have to trim the aluminum tube a little. Your final fitment should look close to this.

[attach=0,msg1308871]
East Tenn.<br /> 2020 Lowrider S Touring, 2014 CVO RK,  1992 FXRP

turboprop

Quote from: hbkeith on July 28, 2019, 03:23:50 PM
got my inner primary , clutch etc installed in 92 FXR , dry fitting outer primary I notice the shifter sleeve needs to go in to the next groove , so I have the locator plate in the 2nd groove but putting outer primary and inspection cover on , the outer o ring is out past the inspection cover , if I move the shifter sleeve in to the 3rd groove then it pushes the shift lever arm into my 113 engine , all new Vulcan parts . am I having a brain fart ? what am I missing ?

The locator plate goes into the third groove. The tube should have two grooves inside the hole of the inner primary. If the shift arm is contacting the engine case then either it can be bent outward some, or the end of the tube can be trimmed down. If the end of the tube is cut down, a spacer will be required on the other end. This is not uncommon with larger engine cases.
'We' like this' - Said by the one man operation.

hbkeith

:up: yes I think a little bend and a trim will work ,i have the thin nylock nut but that is still where its touching engine . thanks guys , should finally have this thing running here real soon

turboprop

Quote from: hbkeith on July 28, 2019, 07:20:39 PM
:up: yes I think a little bend and a trim will work ,i have the thin nylock nut but that is still where its touching engine . thanks guys , should finally have this thing running here real soon

Try putting the bolt through the shift arm with the nut on the outside  of the him joint. The head of the bolt is thinner than the nut.

hbkeith

slight bend and its all good now , thanks . Dye ,just noticed the notch in your tube , whats the deal with that ?

turboprop

Quote from: hbkeith on July 31, 2019, 01:29:05 AM
slight bend and its all good now , thanks . Dye ,just noticed the notch in your tube , whats the deal with that ?

That notch provides the required clearance between the tube and the outer cover when using the '94 and up inner primary case and matching cover. They are laid out slightly different than the earlier cases.

hbkeith

Deye76

Looking good Keith, Get'R'done, come to Maggie Valley next June, for the FXR Jam, best people you'll ever meet, and the finest FXR's in the USA.
East Tenn.<br /> 2020 Lowrider S Touring, 2014 CVO RK,  1992 FXRP