March 28, 2024, 11:22:31 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

M8 trans fluid leaking in primary

Started by grnrock, February 17, 2017, 02:31:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hd06

They know we are up to them most Harley riders are gearheads they're playing it down. My service department tells me I'm the only one that they seen with this problem. 

Harley Pilot

Quote from: hd06 on April 18, 2019, 04:49:26 AM
They know we are up to them most Harley riders are gearheads they're playing it down. My service department tells me I'm the only one that they seen with this problem.
Yeah mine had that put on purlexed look on his face

Admiral Akbar

Quote from: 98fxstc on April 16, 2019, 08:02:26 PM

How would you rate the content and his delivery Max ?
Who do you think the target audience is ?

Content - low tech
Delivery - I like it. IMO he don't come across as a "know it all". Reminds of a couple guys I knew when I worked in a shop.
Audience - the average guy that wants to know a little more about his bike and what goes on in the service department. 

Pete_Vit

even though I don't have a dog in this fight I've been following this thread, some very good insight here, lots of folks attempting to diagnose a strange issue, design a solution, and put it out to the forum, some really great talented folks here that have taken the time, to start from scratch, dump all 3 holes, check and measure periodically to prove there's something afoot, R&D after the fact, but R&D non the less and hopefully this info will help someone down the road, check the fluid levels and contact the MoCo concerning the issue.
nothing gets solved by just ignoring the 'non issue' and waiting for the MoCo to solve a  'non issue'   :wink:
93 XLH1200 - 96 FXSTS - 2010 Ultra Glide Classic
www.facebook.com/harleypartsch

HogMike

Quote from: Pete_Vit on April 18, 2019, 12:03:25 PM
even though I don't have a dog in this fight I've been following this thread, some very good insight here, lots of folks attempting to diagnose a strange issue, design a solution, and put it out to the forum, some really great talented folks here that have taken the time, to start from scratch, dump all 3 holes, check and measure periodically to prove there's something afoot, R&D after the fact, but R&D non the less and hopefully this info will help someone down the road, check the fluid levels and contact the MoCo concerning the issue.
nothing gets solved by just ignoring the 'non issue' and waiting for the MoCo to solve a  'non issue'   :wink:

:agree:
HOGMIKE
SoCal

vetteandharley

Recently purchased a 2017 Road Glide Special privately.  I asked if he had any fluid migration issues with the bike and got what I believe was an honest answer, just had the 10,000 mile check done and everything was good to go.  After putting a few more miles on it I checked the transmission and it was low.  Drained the transmission and got 24 ounces out of it, at this point I haven't checked the primary so I'm not sure if it wasn't fully filled or I have migration.  I'm 90 miles away from any Harley dealer but happened to be by one on Saturday.  Went to the parts department and asked about the primary venting kit.  He'd never heard of it and went back to talk to the service department, meanwhile I went out and retrieved my phone.  Pulled up Woods post with the part number and they weren't able to find it even with it.   :scratch:  :nix:

Harley Pilot

Quote from: vetteandharley on April 18, 2019, 12:51:17 PM
  He'd never heard of it and went back to talk to the service department, meanwhile I went out and retrieved my phone.  Pulled up Woods post with the part number and they weren't able to find it even with it.   :scratch:  :nix:

Yeah, mine went back to Tucson Harley and the did the normal act surprised routine as well. So I pulled up the post with the Harley version of the primary vent and showed it to them. So fast forward to today, I get a phone call and the tech tells me the MoCo had him drain and measure fluids and pending their approval they will overnight them the "kit"!!!🤔

HogMike

Quote from: vetteandharley on April 18, 2019, 12:51:17 PM
Recently purchased a 2017 Road Glide Special privately.  I asked if he had any fluid migration issues with the bike and got what I believe was an honest answer, just had the 10,000 mile check done and everything was good to go.  After putting a few more miles on it I checked the transmission and it was low.  Drained the transmission and got 24 ounces out of it, at this point I haven't checked the primary so I'm not sure if it wasn't fully filled or I have migration.  I'm 90 miles away from any Harley dealer but happened to be by one on Saturday.  Went to the parts department and asked about the primary venting kit.  He'd never heard of it and went back to talk to the service department, meanwhile I went out and retrieved my phone.  Pulled up Woods post with the part number and they weren't able to find it even with it.   :scratch:  :nix:

There is a tech article TA0022 you may want to check out, most dealer techs either don't read that or don't care, this will give you the sequence that you can verify a transfer issue. Just because they serviced the bike doesn't mean you don't have a problem. Best to follow the article IMHO
:missed:
HOGMIKE
SoCal

Harley Pilot

Quote from: Karl H. on November 14, 2017, 05:27:23 AM
Don't think that the diaphragm of the Brembo unit made the difference.

Twincam (-2016)
[attach=0,msg1191526]

M8 (2017 up)
[attach=1,msg1191526]
one has a rubber diaphragm and the other does not! HUGE difference if you ask me!

Txwezl

Quote from: Wood on April 13, 2019, 05:19:27 AM
New kit released from the MOCO; found this info on another forum.
I expect we'll see this as standard equipment on the next year models. Then It will be ez to get.

Harley Pilot

Maddo Snr., I'm curious as to the success you've had with the milling of the tranny end covers on the M8s. Also I read a post where you referred to an additional drain hole in the s/c mating surface. I have a 2019 Roadking with 559 miles on it  currently awaiting the MOCO vent install and I am going to do the mod you have posted that connects to the trans air void. Again I am just curious as to if it is worth it for me to also do your mod. Also would like to thank you for posting the results and details regarding your testing on the subject

Thank you,
Dan.

Maddo Snr

Quote from: Harley Pilot on April 20, 2019, 06:11:54 PM
Maddo Snr., I'm curious as to the success you've had with the milling of the tranny end covers on the M8s. Also I read a post where you referred to an additional drain hole in the s/c mating surface. I have a 2019 Roadking with 559 miles on it  currently awaiting the MOCO vent install and I am going to do the mod you have posted that connects to the trans air void. Again I am just curious as to if it is worth it for me to also do your mod. Also would like to thank you for posting the results and details regarding your testing on the subject

Thank you,
Dan.

Dan, I'll pop the hat off and take some pics of the modded part and post it up. The bleed hole he's the OEM diaphragm but isn't required if running the AIM slave.

RSD have a replacement M8 cover coming which also has the bleed passages milled in.

The milled cover alone does solve the issue IMO, but once you've ridden a AIM-equpped bike it's hard to put up with a stock slave, even the '19.
2018 FLHX 107
Rinehart 45s, SE cleaner, TTS MasterTune. 92/108

Harley Pilot

QuoteDan, I'll pop the hat off and take some pics of the modded part and post it up. The bleed hole he's the OEM diaphragm but isn't required if running the AIM slave.

RSD have a replacement M8 cover coming which also has the bleed passages milled in.

The milled cover alone does solve the issue IMO, but once you've ridden a AIM-equpped bike it's hard to put up with a stock slave, even the '19.

Thank you.

chuck8446

had the same problem on 17 & 19 cvo, Harley put a breather on the primary case, 

RoadGlide18

Do a search for Greg Williams.  Just search pushrod, you may find the answer and fix your looking for.

JK

hotbo

Hes is all over the M8 forums on Facebook. I just ordered his clutch  pushrod for my 19... I have not seen or heard a complaint yet about his larger diameter pushrod not working! Travis
03 fatty 124"  S&S Super G/Bored w/T-jet,Dragos Softail Exh.

Harley Pilot

Well the dealer got the vent tube fix installed and I'll be putting around 500 miles on it this weekend, but boy they sure didn't want to give me any paperwork and what they  did give me was very obscure. They maintain there is no part no. For the kit and there is no mention of it on the paperwork!🤔

Maddo Snr

Quote from: Harley Pilot on April 25, 2019, 03:09:36 PM
Well the dealer got the vent tube fix installed and I'll be putting around 500 miles on it this weekend, but boy they sure didn't want to give me any paperwork and what they  did give me was very obscure. They maintain there is no part no. For the kit and there is no mention of it on the paperwork!🤔

94100065   :emsad:
2018 FLHX 107
Rinehart 45s, SE cleaner, TTS MasterTune. 92/108

RoadGlide18

Just installed GW's push rod. Way better than the stock one.  Took 10 minutes to install. Took 60 mile ride no issues yet. Will keep my eye on it but lost 3 oz at 200 miles before the install.

Thermodyne

Hey I've seen those before...

Update, this kit is not in general release yet.  What ever that means.

Factory reps can request them, and then there is some required follow up after they are installed. 

SO I'm thinking this is one of those shots in the dark. Another poke and hope.

After getting up close and personal with the clutch on my 18, I found that the hub and pressure plate probably pump oil too.  The is a small drain hole in the hub, But I think its too small to work well, especially when the oil is cold.  The pressure plate rides on a cylinder shaped area as it moves in and out or twists with the slipper ramps.  Its a close fit, that's what keeps the plate centered.

Its the machined area around the nut.

Admiral Akbar

Quote from: Thermodyne on April 26, 2019, 06:16:50 PM

Factory reps can request them, and then there is some required follow up after they are installed. 

After getting up close and personal with the clutch on my 18, I found that the hub and pressure plate probably pump oil too.  The is a small drain hole in the hub, But I think its too small to work well, especially when the oil is cold.  The pressure plate rides on a cylinder shaped area as it moves in and out or twists with the slipper ramps.  Its a close fit, that's what keeps the plate centered.

Its the machined area around the nut.

Been saying this fer a long time

RedDog

Quote from: Admiral Akbar on April 26, 2019, 07:13:21 PM

Its the machined area around the nut

Been saying this fer a long time
[/quote]

Inner primary vent kit sent to dealer from the MOCO. Dealer installs it.  No follow up needed!

Vent kit was installed in my '19 Limited last week at 1,000 miles.  After 700 miles it appears to have solved my transfer issue!

Nastytls

Quote from: hd06myway on April 18, 2019, 09:24:30 AM
thought this thread was dead?  How long are we going to rag on this subject...ZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzz

Why would it be dead? There is still an issue without resolution form the company that manufactures the product.

We get it, you think HD can do no wrong, so maybe you shouldn't bother reading threads like this; it must be full of lies and people that just want to bash your beloved MoCo.

HogMike

Harley has been very quiet as to WHY the oil is leaving the transmission and ending up in the primary.
Inquiring minds want to know WHY this is happening when there was never a problem in the past design change.
Ask yourself why does the primary case go into a vacuum state, or why is the transmission "pushing oil" along the main shaft?
Factory field technicians have tried different "fixes" to address the issue but the latest 5 cent hose is the cheapest and easiest band aid to keep the oil where it belongs.

Follow the money.

JMHO as usual
:missed:

HOGMIKE
SoCal

Harley Pilot

Quote from: Harley Pilot on April 25, 2019, 03:09:36 PM
So far no transfer with the vent tube installed,got about 700 miles in last weekend.