April 23, 2024, 06:06:20 AM

News:

M8 trans fluid leaking in primary

Started by grnrock, February 17, 2017, 02:31:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ziggy24

My 2019 FLHXS is also transferring! Not sure when Harley will get their  crap together. Almost 30 grand for a bike and dealing with nonsense!

jamminhd2000

Quote from: ziggy24 on May 06, 2019, 06:29:53 AM
My 2019 FLHXS is also transferring! Not sure when Harley will get their  crap together. Almost 30 grand for a bike and dealing with nonsense!
Any more updates on this harley pilot? Thanks....jimmy

Harley Pilot

Quote from: jamminhd2000 on May 06, 2019, 09:21:49 AM
Quote from: ziggy24 on May 06, 2019, 06:29:53 AM
Any more updates on this harley pilot? Thanks....jimmy

Wrong guy, I have the FLHR my bike got the vent tube fix the first time I took it in at 564mi. So far so good at 800mi.on the "fix"

HogMike

Checked then changed my 2019 cvo oils yesterday at 4500 miles.
All oil levels are where they are supposed to be.
Oil transfer was first noticed at 200 miles when I noticed increased hard shifting and clutch release problems.

Fast forward after convincing my dealer that there IS a problem and complaining to Harley, the "cheap fix" is keeping the oil where it's supposed to be.
Starting on my annual summer trips next week and hopefully there will be NO MORE issues on the new bike.
I really like the rest of the bike it's just a shame to have to jump through all the hoops to get it operating the way that was promised at sale time.
Customer service is still very poor compared to other companies.
JMHO
:potstir:
HOGMIKE
SoCal

hotbo

2019 FLHX 886 miles transferred 16 ounces tranny fluid into primary  :angry: I bought Greg Williams clutch pushrod and installed. 200 miles later and no transfer.  :up: He sells the fire outta these pushrods  :idunno: Travis

Harley and this vented Primary band aid fix are full of BS IMO!
03 fatty 124"  S&S Super G/Bored w/T-jet,Dragos Softail Exh.

hd06

Hotbo,  Did you try the primary vent on your bike.

crusinmann

Quote from: hotbo on May 09, 2019, 02:52:27 AM
2019 FLHX 886 miles transferred 16 ounces tranny fluid into primary  :angry: I bought Greg Williams clutch pushrod and installed. 200 miles later and no transfer.  :up: He sells the fire outta these pushrods  :idunno: Travis

I seen on another board a guy with the fatrod  says still transfers not saying how much but he used dye with infrared red light to see it coming thru. I put fatrod in and had dealer installed vent put in.I'll get some miles on next weekend and we will see. I had 60oz taken out of my primary with 400 miles on. I had to add to trans 2 x's in those miles. At that rate I would need a qt of trans oil at every fill up

hotbo

Quote from: crusinmann on May 09, 2019, 04:28:28 AM
Quote from: hotbo on May 09, 2019, 02:52:27 AM

I seen on another board a guy with the fatrod  says still transfers not saying how much but he used dye with infrared red light to see it coming thru. I put fatrod in and had dealer installed vent put in.I'll get some miles on next weekend and we will see. I had 60oz taken out of my primary with 400 miles on. I had to add to trans 2 x's in those miles. At that rate I would need a qt of trans oil at every fill up

Im sure his pushrod is not the ultimate fix... any case it seems to really slow the transfer rate down.I am closely monitoring mine.Draining primary after every short and decedent ride.Rain wont stop long enough for me get over 75-100 miles on the weekends. 

MakoHD

once again you guys can keep braking your head about this but i would like to state it again for the ones that haven't seen what i posted. i have installed on 5 different bikes the push rods i always keep some in stock. it fixes the problem for me 100% i do not consider it a band-aid. i consider it a perfect fix unless you would like to create a new transmission shaft with smaller ID. the bikes that i have down this to are in my riding group and we cruise at 95 mph on cruise control  thanks to the TTS tuner that allows us to do so.

buy it from
macomb county choppers
589 935 7433

Pete_Vit

Quote from: MakoHD on May 09, 2019, 06:25:56 AM
once again you guys can keep braking your head about this but i would like to state it again for the ones that haven't seen what i posted. i have installed on 5 different bikes the push rods i always keep some in stock. it fixes the problem for me 100% i do not consider it a band-aid. i consider it a perfect fix unless you would like to create a new transmission shaft with smaller ID. the bikes that i have down this to are in my riding group and we cruise at 95 mph on cruise control  thanks to the TTS tuner that allows us to do so.

buy it from
macomb county choppers
589 935 7433
:scratch: sorry this is the first post I've seen of the M8 transfer issue on this Forum - added later:  :oops: guess I didn't see ALL the posts  :embarrassed:
93 XLH1200 - 96 FXSTS - 2010 Ultra Glide Classic
www.facebook.com/harleypartsch

bigcraig

The "fat rod" is not a 100% fix.

I am the guy mentioned that used a UV dye kit.

While the following pic doesn't show the yellow tint the UV dye added to the trans fluid, what it does show is how high the primary fluid is on the clutch assembly. When I installed the "fat rod" I corrected the primary and transmission fluid levels and added the UV dye to only the transmission. I measured 10oz of transfer in about 100-150 miles.

hd06

Hotbo, Do you have a dog in this fight.

hotbo

Quote from: hd06 on May 09, 2019, 02:02:15 PM
Hotbo, Do you have a dog in this fight.

:wtf: I have a new 19 that is/was Transferring. I bought the fatrod from greg and it has fixed mine so far... Travis  :beer:

FSG

the fat rod may stop the transfer, the vented primary may stop the transfer, BUT both are Band-Aids

the mainshaft has been the vent path for the primary since waaaayyyyyy back

cable operated clutches don't have the transfer problem, only the hydraulic clutches

so HD has caused the problem by creating a space where trannie lube can pool at the right end of the mainshaft and be pushed/sucked through into the primary

the cure to the problem is to remove that space, if there's no pool then there's nothing to transfer, the primary just vents as normal

HogMike

Quote from: FSG on May 10, 2019, 02:41:32 PM
the fat rod may stop the transfer, the vented primary may stop the transfer, BUT both are Band-Aids

cable operated clutches don't have the transfer problem, only the hydraulic clutches

so HD has caused the problem by creating a space where trannie lube can pool at the right end of the mainshaft and be pushed/sucked through into the primary

the cure to the problem is to remove that space, if there's no pool then there's nothing to transfer, the primary just vents as normal

Sounds reasonable to me. Obviously Harley has been aware of the problem for some time. Seems one of the fixes was the white plastic button sleeve on the right side of the clutch push rod. Late December 2018 cvo's didn't have it, early 2019 did.
Didn't solve the problem with ALL the bikes but maybe helped slow it down a bit.
The vent on the primary relieved the negative pressure and kept the oil from being sucked down the main shaft.
Fixing the root cause would cost too much. Lots cheaper to do a 10c hose and drill a hole!
HOGMIKE
SoCal

Nastytls

Would fixing the problem really cost that much? If the problem is as FSG states it is ( pooling oil ), couldn't they design a drain in at the bottom of where it's pooling so it goes back to the trans vs. down the main shaft? This doesn't help people like me with 17-18-19's but it fixes the problem going forward.

This is laughable, Indian is designing VVT in to their air cooled engines and HD can even figure out how to stop uncontrolled oil movement in theirs.

bigcraig

Quote from: Nastytls on May 11, 2019, 04:26:30 AM
Would fixing the problem really cost that much? If the problem is as FSG states it is ( pooling oil ), couldn't they design a drain in at the bottom of where it's pooling so it goes back to the trans vs. down the main shaft? This doesn't help people like me with 17-18-19's but it fixes the problem going forward.

This is laughable, Indian is designing VVT in to their air cooled engines and HD can even figure out how to stop uncontrolled oil movement in theirs.

One of the known fixes, is to modify the inner trans cover to allow the trans fluid to drain back down to the transmission. Basically milling/grinding out a passage where the "pooling" will occur.

rbabos

Quote from: FSG on May 10, 2019, 02:41:32 PM

I agree but it should have been that way from day one. Surely they tested them, right? Rush to market and bring on the band-aids seems to be the way they operate now.
Ron

rbabos

Quote from: Nastytls on May 11, 2019, 04:26:30 AM

I see their 1200 rt has equaled the v rod hp/torque at 100lbs lighter bike. That's engineering at it's best. Should be a good seller. Still love the v rod but damn.
Ron

HDDOC

I have a 2019 Tri Glide and with the 1000 miles service done no oil transfer and now about 3300 on it still no oil transfer . I have talked to other Tri Glide owners that are aware of the transfer and they see none also. It maybe that the Trikes do not lean and for the the most part always level.  JMO   Doc
2019 Tri Glide

Dmerch

Does anyone have any pictures of the official MoCo vent hole as seen from the cavity side of the primary?
I'm interested in the actual location within the cavity.

Rockout Rocker Products

www.rockout.biz Stop the top end TAPPING!!

Dmerch

Thanks, I was hoping for a straight-on shot of one that's just been drilled. I'll guesstimate and plug a hole thru unless I can get my dealer to actually get me one I can install. Otherwise I'll make my own, nothing that critical about it. Just rather do it myself than screw around taking it back 3 times when they should just get you in and do it in one shot.

HogMike

Quote from: Dmerch on May 14, 2019, 03:53:05 PM
Thanks, I was hoping for a straight-on shot of one that's just been drilled. I'll guesstimate and plug a hole thru unless I can get my dealer to actually get me one I can install. Otherwise I'll make my own, nothing that critical about it. Just rather do it myself than screw around taking it back 3 times when they should just get you in and do it in one shot.

Let the dealer do it.
You'll get 2 qts of oil and new rings and gasket all under warranty.
JMHO
HOGMIKE
SoCal

HDDOC

I have no oil transfer on my 2019 Tri Glide I wonder if the dealer would install the vent kit with no problem with transfer.?
2019 Tri Glide