April 15, 2024, 11:41:04 PM

News:

Grumble/Rumble?

Started by cyclobutch, June 19, 2018, 12:43:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cyclobutch

Got something odd going on around the primary area this week I think. A kind of rumbly crunching you can almost feel more than you can hear when in gear and driving - not there when the clutch is pulled. I did look to see if maybe the battery box is breaking away and rattling around, but seemingly not. So I'm thinking maybe bottom end, maybe in the primary.

I've taken it off the road for now and will try and find time to pull that side and have a look this weekend.

Not long since I had the local shop replace the starter motor - will they have been in there to do that? Just wondering if they didn't do something up right.

More news when I've been in.
B
'88 XLH1200

cyclobutch

Ah - noticed my footer doesn't ID the bike. It's an '88 XLH1200.
B
'88 XLH1200

hdbikedoc

Did you check primary chain tension sounds like a loose change
Keep your feet on the pegs and your right hand cranked

cyclobutch

Good call for a first check - thanks ...
B
'88 XLH1200

cyclobutch

Pulled the primary cover on Saturday for a look. Chain tension was just fine. To be clear this noise is a much deeper rumble. I was worried that maybe the engine sprocket was loose but it was fine. Grabbing hold of the clutch drum I have some end float on that, and I can also wobble it about a bit. Should I be able to do that? Should I be looking at the bearing in the back of the clutch drum?

Back on the road this morning – you don't feel the problem with the clutch pulled in; no load. I can't feel it when rolling along in the higher gears. Seems most noticeable under load when accelerating in the lower gears. Despite its age the bike only has around 23k miles on it. Shouldn't be main bearings yet should it?   
B
'88 XLH1200

Breeze

Your model has the rotor/stator as part of the clutch hub. Maybe a loose magnet?
I'm starting to believe my body is gonna outlast my mind.

harley_cruiser

Quote from: Breeze on June 25, 2018, 04:27:25 AM
Your model has the rotor/stator as part of the clutch hub. Maybe a loose magnet?
Yea, those years were bad for that.

cyclobutch

Yeah – already previously blown the magnets. This drum has them encapsulated. I'm gonna do that bearing anyway so it will all be down again.

Parts supplier picked up on the fact I've recently had the ign module swapped out – pinging he's questioning. Doesn't sound like any pinging I've ever heard but it's an interesting point. To be clear on possible cause and effect - I had my local shop replace the start motor and ign unit recently, so other work has been done.
B
'88 XLH1200

cyclobutch

Think I might have fixed it, though I'm almost too embarrassed to say.

Lubed and adjusted the final drive chain last night. Doh. In my defence I suspect it is very much at end of life.

Well what did you expect from someone who mostly rides Moto Guzzis? Sorry everybody. (Idiot).
B
'88 XLH1200

hogpipes1

If the master link didn't break and shoot the chain down the road at least 3 x , it's still good . THE WAY IT WAS  a long time ago.  :koolaid: