March 28, 2024, 03:03:20 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

CV on shovel jetting

Started by egstandard, June 04, 2019, 01:00:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

egstandard

Wouldn't a good starting point with a CV carb on a stock 80 inch shovel be the same as a stock 80 inch evo?

turboprop

Quote from: egstandard on June 04, 2019, 01:00:40 PM
Wouldn't a good starting point with a CV carb on a stock 80 inch shovel be the same as a stock 80 inch evo?

Not really. I did this a few years ago and as I recall both jets ended up being larger than they would have been on a comparable EVO. Have also see a few posts here from members that reported similar results.  I suspect that what you are really asking for is a jet recommendation. Unfortunately, I dont recall what I ended up using, but I bet if you searched on CV in the shovel section that the information is already there.
'We' like this' - Said by the one man operation.

egstandard

Yeah, I did this about 8 years ago on a previous shovel I owned. Don't remember where I started. A 48 pilot and 185 main comes to mind, but I'll dig around in the search section then. Thanks.

Burnout

On an EVO I would start at 46 & 175 Don't know why a Shovel would want more fuel.
They don't call me Ironhead Rick just because I'm "hard headed"

turboprop

Quote from: egstandard on June 04, 2019, 01:50:02 PM
Yeah, I did this about 8 years ago on a previous shovel I owned. Don't remember where I started. A 48 pilot and 185 main comes to mind, but I'll dig around in the search section then. Thanks.

There is a lengthy thread on this page titled Shovelhead CV Jetting. Three pages of responses. 

Julio

48/175 on both my evo and 80"shovel.

egstandard

I found that turboprop. Thanks

thumper 823

I always tell everyone to get an AFR wideband and be done.
There is no use guessing.
Not have one is sort of like a bone doctor refusing to get an XRay machine.
D Troop 3/5, - C/16 ,162AHC, Mekong delta.
Rising from the Ashes  UHIH

76shuvlinoff

Quote from: turboprop on June 04, 2019, 03:24:15 PM

There is a lengthy thread on this page titled Shovelhead CV Jetting. Three pages of responses.

Not sure why but my search capabilities seem to be lacking today. If someone wants to bump it we can make it a sticky.
Critics are men who watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors.
 - Ernest Hemingway

turboprop

Quote from: 76shuvlinoff on June 11, 2019, 02:53:07 AM
Quote from: turboprop on June 04, 2019, 03:24:15 PM

Not sure why but my search capabilities seem to be lacking today. If someone wants to bump it we can make it a sticky.

https://harleytechtalk.com/htt/index.php?topic=88881.msg1015979#msg1015979

guppymech

June 11, 2019, 07:17:43 AM #10 Last Edit: June 11, 2019, 07:23:29 AM by guppymech
I read that whole other thread and for what it's worth, in post #56 JW mentions that at WOT when he rolled off the throttle closed the speed picked up....that signals that the main jet is slightly too small.   Rolling off the throttle reduces the airflow to match the small main jet.  With a correct sized main jet the rpm will just drop with the throttle roll off.  If the main is too big the engine will stumble and then reduce rpm.  With the slide controlled by airflow on the CV the rpm that will put the carb on the main jet is above 4k rpm to get a clear indication of main jet response to rolling off the throttle.  It's easiest to note the response when running that rpm steady on the highway then you can note if the speed picks up easily.  On my 883R I got a very clear signal it wanted more fuel rolling the throttle off at 90mph which surprised me as prior tests done at lower rpm/speed had indicated the smaller main jet was doing good.
'84 FXE, '02 883R

JW113

I just did a follow up to that post. The problem was the cam.

Currently the CV has 45-180-N72S for jets/needle, and is working great.

-JW
2004 FLHRS   1977 FLH Shovelhead  1992 FLSTC
1945 Indian Chief   1978 XL Bobber

Don D

dablaze

Can't remember what, but as I recall the sizes of jets I had to use in my shovel surprised me.

Craig
Second Shift Cycle

egstandard

I was surprised to see that this 1990 CV carb did not have a directional arrow for removing the float pin. It comes out in either direction.  I've never seen one like that.

JW113

Look at the float bowl. Does it have two little tabs that locate on each side of the float pivot bosses after the bowl is put on?

-JW
2004 FLHRS   1977 FLH Shovelhead  1992 FLSTC
1945 Indian Chief   1978 XL Bobber

egstandard

egstandard

I have it up and running. Much better response and driveability than that S&S B. Currently running a 175 main and 48 pilot. Screw is 3 turns out. CV Performance velocity needle. Smells rock at a stop light. Doesn't run like it's rich. Very responsive from off idle. I might drop down to a 46 for shits and giggles.

guppymech

June 16, 2019, 02:48:46 PM #18 Last Edit: June 16, 2019, 03:05:44 PM by guppymech
3 turns out on a 48 pilot jet would indicate it's OK but a 46 would most likely be too small.
'84 FXE, '02 883R