March 28, 2024, 04:10:10 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Panhead Flywheels

Started by Ross7677, August 19, 2016, 03:31:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ross7677

Hi,

Can anyone tell me if 4 1/4 wheels will fit in 1961 Pan cases without having to make any alterations to my cases?

Also if I'm using stock jugs do I look to purchase the std. stroker pistons I see on most sites? Most stroker pistons advertise their use with 4 1/2 wheels not with 4 1/4 wheels.

Tks

westcomb

Panhead cases will take a 4.25 stroke wheel ......... and on pistons a shovelhead and panhead share the same piston so you would just need 80" shovelhead pistons for the bore size you have!

There are 4 1/4" stroke pistons that fit the smaller 3 7/16 bore size of a STD panhead cylinder! ........ and pretty much every size after that as well  :wink:

If your buy say S&S flywheels you can pick the stroke you like up to 5" pretty easy but there are mods needed to run that big of a stroke! 4 1/4 is pretty much a bolt in!

JamLazyAss

Is that 4 1/4 inches or millimeters?  :dgust:  :kick:
I'm not a proctologist, but I know an asshole when I see one...

Deye76

I know this thread is a old thread, I ran 80" evo flywheels (lightened slightly) in my Pan and really enjoyed the extra oomph. Shovelhead valves in the heads helped too.
East Tenn.<br /> 2020 Lowrider S Touring, 2014 CVO RK,  1992 FXRP

Ross7677

Now that Im looking to move ahead with this rebuild Im having a difficult time finding STD bore cylinders for 4 1/4 wheels for my Panhead.

Looks like most manufacturers have stopped producing them. Any suggestions? I've read some threads where you can use STD 80" pistons, bore the cylinders and shave the bottom of the piston where its hits?

Brrrap

82nd ABN INF B.Co.1st 508th '78-81<br />1923rd Comm Group, ATC, Kelly AFB '82-86

Deye76

Amazon has 80" shovel cylinders from V-Twin & S&S.  :nix:
East Tenn.<br /> 2020 Lowrider S Touring, 2014 CVO RK,  1992 FXRP