March 28, 2024, 10:38:37 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

New oil pump cover/seal or S&S pump?

Started by Md8181, January 30, 2019, 05:43:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Md8181

I know I've had conversations with a few of you on here but I'm about to order a cam kit (either S&S475 or Woods22X).  My bike has 1800 miles on it and I have not experienced any Sumping issues, none that I know of at least.  Im trying to decide if I should order the latest OEM oil pump and the new oil pump cover and seal or if I should spend the cash and get the S&S oil pump and plate???  Or leave what's already there.  It's a 2018 with build date of March 2018.  Thanks!

08flstf

I have a 2018 FLTRU with a build dated of May 2018 and I put the newest oil pump and back plate with the rubber seal in mine when I installed a cam and I still get 7 1/2 oz. out of sump. I'll be going with the Feuling oil pump and plate when I do a big bore kit.

Timber0472

I recently bought the SS Oil and Cam plate, I cannot as of yet say whether or not it definitely fixes the sumping issue personally. I am not "sumping" that I know of. I called local dealer and told them I was getting 9 to 10 oz of oil out CP sensor...their reply is that is normal. IDK.
What I can tell you is that the ss pump/plate is a work of art in comparison. That thing is beautiful and very stout. I will be putting it in very soon once I get a chance.
Good Luck

sandrooney

Quote from: 08flstf on January 30, 2019, 06:21:36 AM
I have a 2018 FLTRU with a build dated of May 2018 and I put the newest oil pump and back plate with the rubber seal in mine when I installed a cam and I still get 7 1/2 oz. out of sump. I'll be going with the Feuling oil pump and plate when I do a big bore kit.

Do you let it idle for a couple minutes before checking the sump?
Patience is such a waste of time .

BigT

Quote from: sandrooney on January 31, 2019, 01:01:37 PM
Quote from: 08flstf on January 30, 2019, 06:21:36 AM

Do you let it idle for a couple minutes before checking the sump?
I don't get the let it idle thing. I would think running it at normal riding RPM pulling the clutch in and shutting it down to check would give you real world results as to how much oil you have in your (dry) sump as your going down the road.

MakoHD

From my experience what I've seen that makes these bikes sump is when you have a 117ci or bigger and you do a lot of 2 up ridding or 90mph for long period of time. I can tell you that I have not had a 107 sump even with a cam. But I've had every and anything over a 117 sump and the new latest and greatest pump is the same piece of crap as the same one first raleased.  Put an S&S or a fuelin pump even if you're just doing a cam to me is not worth the risk. I had my fathers bike sump 700miles away from home. I would of payed anything on that Sunday afternoon for that not to had happen on the beginning of our trip.

cbumdumb

My 107 sure as hell sumped and right after start up leaving a gas station two doors down from a damn Harley Dealership

BigT

I still haven't heard of a confirmed bike sumping with the new cover seal in place.

MakoHD

I have a video of my bike 2019 117 completely stock sumping at 900 miles. If you like I can email it to you.

Helmwurst

Quote from: MakoHD on March 07, 2019, 04:44:30 AM
I have a video of my bike 2019 117 completely stock sumping at 900 miles. If you like I can email it to you.
Post it if you can.

MakoHD

I tried to but it says its too big to post and it's only 19 seconds long. so if you wanted you send me your email.

BigT

This is a 2019 that had the modified oil pump cover with oil seal?

MakoHD

yes it was actually two of them that had the pump with the seal.
1. 2019 cvo road glide, started to sump at 320miles. drained the case drove the bike sumped again at 560 miles. took it part I put an S&S pump bike now has currently a cam and is about to turn 8,000 miles. no issues.
2. 2019 cvo road glide (my bike) sumped at 900 miles, drained the case drove it from jasper fl to tail of the dragon and on the way back in Orlando fl it sumped again. I emptied the case drove it home to Miami. took it apart put an S&S kit drove the bike until 4,500 miles did not sump. took the motor apart and build it up as I had planned, I've driven the bike for 1,700 miles no issues. 

BigT

Have you ever checked the sump oil level with the S&S pump installed when duplicating the same conditions that made the stock pump sump?

MakoHD

BVHOG

I pulled two different 2019 bikes down a couple weeks back for cam install, the 114 had the old cover and the cvo had the new cover with seal. Neither sumped.
If you don't have a sense of humor you probably have no sense at all.