April 24, 2024, 04:50:18 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Milwaukee 8 compensator destroyed

Started by MakoHD, March 06, 2019, 04:56:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MakoHD

The compensator on my road glide broke into 3 pieces, 400 miles after building my motor up. I'm wondering if anyone else has had this issue? Right before that I stripped 31 teeth of my belt. I Got rid of the belt and went chain drive. now I have a solid front sprocket from evolution industries so the compensator issue won't be happening again but I hate the noise in the primary. If anyone else has been trough this and you have some advice i would appreciate it, thank you!

Nastytls

What noise are you referring to?

If there is noise I'd suspect something is wrong, my solid Comp doesn't make any noise at all.

MakoHD

At first it was a loud chain whack like if the chain was loose, which it was the chain. its tension was at 7/8- 1' at the looses position. that was caused by a tensioner stopper that I purchased  from evolution industries. what that does is that it stops the tensioner from over tightening the chain by not letting it go up, that part is made for you to shave it down to where you're going to need it, but at first I didn't know that. so I removed the part and I tensioned it to 5/8. but it does not sound like a stock bike. I just want to know if there is a way to quite it down or I'm missing something. crank runout is 3 thousands of an inch. transmission shaft is perfect. it has an evolution billet basket with stock center hub.

Desertwndrr

Jeez.  I gotta know what you've done to build the motor up to the point that you shred the belt and blow up a compensator.

MakoHD

It puts out 160 pounds of torque on a 6th gear pull SAE but I have 49 tooth (stock 46 tooth) primary basket which actually hurts my dyno reading. but that's just a dyno number i'm not racing on a dyno or ridding on a dyno lol bike feels great.

MakoHD

Nastytls

If there is noise in your primary it is not coming from the solid comp; it has no moving parts to make noise. Maybe your chain was damaged when the comp blew up, or maybe there was damage done elsewhere in the primary that's causing the noise.

Ohio HD

Did you put an indicator on the crankshaft and the transmission shaft before calling it good?

MakoHD

The crank is at 0.03" the transmission is completely new after the compensator went.. The chain was replaced with a new one for the same reason that it might of gotten stretched. I was just listening to it and it's not really making much noise, it doesn't sound like a stock bike but it's not a stock bike. I could of tighten the chain more but I choose not too because the chain too  tight might cause to loose hp. I also raised the idle from 900rpms to 1000rpms so it can idle smoother. Just like the Sporters come with the idle at 1050rpms since they have a solid gear on the crank. So for the ones that are trying to make strong power and you're actually gonna put it to work, don't risk braking the compensator. It can brake a lot of stuff along the way.

Ohio HD

Quote from: MakoHD on March 06, 2019, 04:49:48 PM
The crank is at 0.03" the transmission is completely new after the compensator went.. The chain was replaced with a new one for the same reason that it might of gotten stretched. I was just listening to it and it's not really making much noise, it doesn't sound like a stock bike but it's not a stock bike. I could of tighten the chain more but I choose not too because the chain too  tight might cause to loose hp. I also raised the idle from 900rpms to 1000rpms so it can idle smoother. Just like the Sporters come with the idle at 1050rpms since they have a solid gear on the crank. So for the ones that are trying to make strong power and you're actually gonna put it to work, don't risk braking the compensator. It can brake a lot of stuff along the way.

Sure about that? 0.030" means that crank is trash.

MakoHD

No Cents

what kind of engine mods do you have that puts out 160tq?
08 FLHX my grocery getter, 124ci, wfolarry 110" heads, Burns pipe, 158/152 sae

MakoHD

124ci, custom grind cam, heads, valves, HPI throttle body, Krome Werks 2-2 exhaust. 11:1 compression
what gear are you doing the pulls in?

Ohio HD

Billy

March 08, 2019, 11:19:00 AM #14 Last Edit: March 08, 2019, 11:25:07 AM by Billy
50 miles after a questionable dyno tune. 2019 CVO Road Glide 128 FM kit

[attach=0,msg1285961]
Lazyness is the Mother of Invention

MakoHD

I'll post one up tomorrow.
what are you putting in there?

Billy

Just ordered the solid from Evolution

MakoHD

Sounds good let me know If it gets any louder.
How's the FM doing for you ?

Nastytls

Two self destructing compensators? WTF?

Billy

March 08, 2019, 03:29:13 PM #19 Last Edit: March 08, 2019, 03:33:52 PM by Billy
Quote from: MakoHD on March 08, 2019, 02:35:54 PM
Sounds good let me know If it gets any louder.
How's the FM doing for you ?

Not my bike. The owner had it dynoed and I believe the comp was damaged during the tuning, he got it back and claimed it didn't shift right and after a 50 mile test ride it wouldn't start, he brought it to me and it kinda sounded like a bad starter clutch, I took the primary cover off and found the broken compensator.

[attach=0,msg1285997]

MakoHD

if you compare the M8 compensator to to the twin cam compensator you'll see that the M8 one is about 1/4' thinner then the twin cam one exactly at the point were its braking. I already tried to install the twin cam one but it throws the chain alignment off, and the primary cover hits the crank bolt.
was the big nut seized up on the sprocket?
mine was due to that the m8 doesn't have that flat bearing like the twin cam does. it has instead a plastic washer with groves in it for oil lubrication but I don't believe that's cutting it.
its just my opinion I might be wrong lol.

MakoHD

bad ass! enjoy that beast! would you know what gear was that done in?

Coyote

Don't think there's any question about the tune.   :down:

Billy

Quote from: MakoHD on March 08, 2019, 03:30:51 PM
if you compare the M8 compensator to to the twin cam compensator you'll see that the M8 one is about 1/4' thinner then the twin cam one exactly at the point were its braking. I already tried to install the twin cam one but it throws the chain alignment off, and the primary cover hits the crank bolt.
was the big nut seized up on the sprocket?
mine was due to that the m8 doesn't have that flat bearing like the twin cam does. it has instead a plastic washer with groves in it for oil lubrication but I don't believe that's cutting it.
its just my opinion I might be wrong lol.

Yes, it was seized. Thanks for the heads up on the sliding cam, didn't know it was thinner.

Billy

Quote from: Coyote on March 08, 2019, 03:36:04 PM

You think the comp was skipping during the tune?

Billy

Quote from: MakoHD on March 08, 2019, 03:33:58 PM
bad ass! enjoy that beast! would you know what gear was that done in?

No. That's all the info that was provided. He took the bike to my recommended tuner, but unfortunately his dyno is down, so he took it to another "tuner" whom I warned him against but he went there anyway as there isn't many to choose from around these parts.

Coyote

Quote from: Billy on March 08, 2019, 03:41:57 PM

Not sure what was going on but it should have been a red flag to stop and look.

rbabos

It can't skip if the cam is in one piece but most likely hammered hard from a low rpm high load to wfo.
Ron

MakoHD

negative ghost rider! if that would of been the case your crank would of been demolished. make sure you pull out the rotor to clean all the metal that went back there.
when you get a chance take the bike to another tuner, because your graph looks weird lol BUT if the bike feels good tell he dyno queens to take it to the street.

Billy

Quote from: Coyote on March 08, 2019, 03:48:41 PM

Not sure what was going on but it should have been a red flag to stop and look.

Exactly!

MakoHD

Also many tuners do pulls on different gears for final result. you always want to know what gear was your final pull done on so when you compare to other people dyno runs you're comparing apples to apples. there's an accurate 7% power increase from 4th to 5th and from 5th to 6th.   

Billy

Quote from: rbabos on March 08, 2019, 03:49:46 PM

It can't skip if the cam is in one piece but most likely hammered hard from a low rpm high load to wfo.
Ron

The sliding cam was in three pieces when it came to me. I could turn the clutch by hand and of course the crank wasn't turning.

Billy

Quote from: MakoHD on March 08, 2019, 03:51:03 PM
negative ghost rider! if that would of been the case your crank would of been demolished. make sure you pull out the rotor to clean all the metal that went back there.
when you get a chance take the bike to another tuner, because your graph looks weird lol BUT if the bike feels good tell he dyno queens to take it to the street.

Weird for sure. I believe the sliding cam was compromised during the dyno session causing the peaks and valleys in the graph, as well as the low HP.

I will definitely clean out all the swarf behind the rotor and all the primary components.

John D

How you measure sprocketshaft is very important in determining amount of run-out your compensator is having to deal with, if you only measure run-out by skipping over top of splines and with a ground spacer you may not be getting the full picture?