April 18, 2024, 06:30:44 PM

News:

Cold starting issues

Started by Vision, March 09, 2019, 07:15:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Billy

QuoteThe sound became more prevalent and Thankfully while at Harley, the Starter stopped cranking the motor all together and just spins when you hit the start button.

You might want your mechanic to check the compensator before he replaces the starter. I had one with the same symptoms as yours and sliding cam was broken in three pieces.
Lazyness is the Mother of Invention

Billy

Lazyness is the Mother of Invention

Vision

Thanks Billy!  He Did.  The compensator and the gears on the back of the clutch basket both seemed to be in good shape.

Vision

Picked up my Bike today. I also had them install a lithium ion Battery with 720 Cranking amps.  The bike started up like never before.  The service manager seems to think the Starter may have been suspect since I got the bike. The real test will be a cold morning start. 

I didn't have the compression checked this go-round.  Admittedly,  I was so excited the bike was starting so strong, I forgot to ask.

Vision

Bike is starting consistently strong with the new starter including two mornings with sub 50 degree weather.   Just wanted to close this thread off and thank everyone who gave input and helped!