April 23, 2024, 04:28:09 PM

News:

Rocker Shaft rub

Started by Helmwurst, March 31, 2019, 07:28:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Helmwurst

March 31, 2019, 07:28:16 AM Last Edit: March 31, 2019, 08:36:50 AM by FSG
So, I pulled the rocker covers off yesterday as part of my cam/oil pump/rocker tower studs upgrade, and found that the rocker arm shaft has been rubbing on a couple of the towers. Anyone else seen this? There is no groove worn on the tower or the assembly.   Just thought it was a little weird. Also pulled the sump plug and got this !! Again !!

[attach=1,msg1289877]

[attach=0,msg1289877]

kd

The rocker contact is normal and has been discussed here when the M8 was first introduced.  Pushrod angle is the culprit.  There was some instances of extreme wear in that location at that time.  As long as the end play is in spec you should be fine.
KD

FSG

sure is a good looking first thread

Helmwurst

Quote from: FSG on March 31, 2019, 08:39:22 AM

Yea I know  :wtf: I installed arp studs.

kd

With studs, will you be able to remove the rockers on the bike without removing the heads?
KD

happyman

Quote from: kd on March 31, 2019, 07:51:55 AM
The rocker contact is normal and has been discussed here when the M8 was first introduced.  Pushrod angle is the culprit.  There was some instances of extreme wear in that location at that time.  As long as the end play is in spec you should be fine.
so its normal for it to be not right

happyman

Quote from: FSG on March 31, 2019, 08:39:22 AM

looks all too familiar unfortunately.

cmashark

Quote from: happyman on March 31, 2019, 11:12:16 AM
Quote from: kd on March 31, 2019, 07:51:55 AM
so its normal for it to be not right

I would say, less than ideal.  Unless they make it a lubricated bearing surface, there will be wear.  When it wears enough, shim it and you won't notice increased wear on it.
2021 FLHXSE

Helmwurst

It looks like an insert to me, but I am not a machinist..