April 26, 2024, 05:13:24 AM

News:

Weird no-start issue this morning...

Started by codyshop, April 01, 2019, 07:14:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

codyshop

2018 SGS 107 with PowerVision (if that matters.)   About 41F ambient in garage yesterday  morning, tried to start and got rhythmic three rotations and a "poof" of smoke though the air cleaner (ok, cue the gay jokes, LOL.)   Rrr, rrr, rrr, poof, rrr, rrr, rrr poof, rrr, rrr, rrr, poof, etc and turned it off.  Turned key back on and it finally fired up with slight positive throttle while cranking and then ran fine for the rest of the day.   No ECM or BCM DTCs through PowerVision scan.   Ideas?  It stared right up this morning at an even colder ambient.   The only thing I can think of is that the first time (yesterday) it was on red light reserve from the day before and the dip below freezing during the night separated the water in our crappy ethanol gas in the nearly empty tank.  It took 4.7 to fill the 5.0.  Thanks.

codyshop

Took the bike to work yesterday at 39F and today at 41F ambient and it fired right up and ran fine for the rest of the day.  I doubt it was the low fuel level since the first time it happened, I got to town to fill up (11 miles) without skipping a beat.   

Hossamania

I've had it happen a few times with different bikes over the years. One was even a carbed bike, it almost fired, then a couple puffs but no start, he kept cranking on and off. I told the owner to turn off the ignition, wait a couple seconds and try again. It fired right up. He asked how and why it worked. I said I don't know, just that sometimes it does.
It seems that sometimes when they don't fire right away, turning them off and on seems to reset the start procedure. I have no scientific proof, just my experience.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

barny7655

may be forgot what cyl to fire on , so a reboot  id do also ,
riding since 62, BSA bantum the first bike

No Cents

I think your 18 SGS should have a 6 gallon tank.
Next time it does it...pull the 50 amp main fuse out...then re-install it.
08 FLHX my grocery getter, 124ci, wfolarry 110" heads, Burns pipe, 158/152 sae

rbabos

Sounds like a condition of not having quite enough cranking fuel in the calibration and might need a hair richer in the warmup table for that temp range.
Ron

codyshop

Quote from: No Cents on April 04, 2019, 01:17:56 PM
  I think your 18 SGS should have a 6 gallon tank.

Right you are.  That means there was well over a gallon still left.  Thanks

sandrooney

Maybe something with the compression release. My wife's 10 Tri Glide has done exactly what you described a couple times and I think that maybe a little piece of carbon gets in the release.
Patience is such a waste of time .

kd

Quote from: sandrooney on April 06, 2019, 03:24:02 AM
Maybe something with the compression release. My wife's 10 Tri Glide has done exactly what you described a couple times and I think that maybe a little piece of carbon gets in the release.

Cycling the ignition switch and making the ACR's cycle could possibly clear a piece of carbon if that was the case. 
KD

codyshop

Almost two weeks now, and it hasn't done it since.   I'm still leaving every morning in the thirties.