March 28, 2024, 01:28:31 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

80 XLH Kiehin carb question

Started by thumpr54, November 12, 2017, 06:53:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thumpr54

I've looked thru lots of posts here on these carbs.....this is the straight butterfly carb...not the CV version. ...the idle mixture screw has a spring and and Oring according to posts. Took this one apart and removed the screw and shook out the spring...didn't see an Oring. Anyone have a breakdown on this ?....with part nimbers?.....or a sub Oring number ?....please.......   Thanx
growing old is mandatory-growing up is optional
355 AMS(TAC)DMAFB 73-76 VFW6774

tmwmoose

small wood screw will usually grab the oring if its still in there

14Frisco

thumpr54

that looks like the animal, Frisco...thanx, guys..........I'll try the screw trick....I suppose I should have a new Oring in the carb kit.....duhhhh  :SM:

also... I ordered a different accel. pump cover to do the ER/Andrews mod when I put it back together

thumpr54

having a little issue with the float bowl Oring.....the kit included 3 different ones...all the same diameter with slight variations for the pump squirter and passages around the edge. My problem is that they're slightly too small to stay in the groove in the bowl while assembling. I can hold the Oring in the grove but won't stay on it's own while assembling.....any suggestions ?   ...thanx

JW113

VERY light coat of rubber cement on one side of the o-ring.

-JW
2004 FLHRS   1977 FLH Shovelhead  1992 FLSTC
1945 Indian Chief   1978 XL Bobber

hogpipes1

November 21, 2017, 03:02:40 PM #6 Last Edit: November 21, 2017, 03:06:53 PM by hogpipes1
Grease , if no super glue around.  also the idle mix spring should have a small flat washer on top of the O ring. W/O it the spring end tends to cut into the rubber o ring when adj. the mix screw.

thumpr54

found the washer...but think I put it under the oring...easy to change before I get it all the way back together. One other thing...where the idle mixture screw is.......the shoulder around the screw hole is broken. Possibly when the plastic cap was removed....who knows how long ago...won't hurt anything but thought I might wax it up good(to use as release agent) and use a little JB weld on it.....so it don't look as bad.....good idea ?....or not ?

hogpipes1

should work OK, me I'd do the same with a straw down the hole. what ever it takes to keep the jb off the threads.

thumpr54

:up: good idea with the straw, Hpipes...glad I remembered to ask...lotsa good idea guys here !.   I'm still fooling with the oring....using spring clothes pins and a funnel to kinda stretch it a little then use a hair dryer to do some heat/cool cycles to hopefully enlarge it a bit....without damage

rider7816

Quote from: thumpr54 on November 14, 2017, 08:49:32 PM
having a little issue with the float bowl Oring.....the kit included 3 different ones...all the same diameter with slight variations for the pump squirter and passages around the edge. My problem is that they're slightly too small to stay in the groove in the bowl while assembling. I can hold the Oring in the grove but won't stay on it's own while assembling.....any suggestions ?   ...thanx

I have run into this same problem as well and I got tired of rigging it to make it fit.  I ordered some "James gaskets" and they fit perfect!  No need to hold it on one side and pray that it doesn't move.

Frank