April 24, 2024, 11:29:40 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Install steering head bearing races

Started by Reilly, January 04, 2020, 01:38:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Reilly

I have installed steering neck cups in my shovel head, but, I am at loss as to how to install steering head bearing races in my 2017 FLHTCU.
I looked at the installation tools from all the normal suppliers but even Jim's does not show anything for 2014 and up 62 mm OD bearings.
According to my local dealer most of the newer bikes need replacement bearings every 25,000 miles and I doubt there are many of you that are taking your bikes to have the bearings replaced.
How are you installing the races?
Thanks

kd

Off topic a bit so I'll apologize first.  Why is it OK to have built in obsolescence of 25,000 miles on steering head bearings?   :banghead:  There's lots of people put that on in 1 year or 2 years for sure. It can't be rocket science to provide a motorcycle that you could ride for a year without spending big money on it.   :angry:
KD

PoorUB

I might be wrong, but the bearings are supposed to be SERVICED every 25,000 miles, not replaced. Pull them out, clean and repack, and reinstall. That said how often did neck bearings get serviced before HD stuck a grease zerk in the neck? IMO, 25,000 miles is a CYA move from the MoCo and don't need to be serviced that often.
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

Coyote

:agree:  25k lube/inspect. I can't imagine they need to be changed. I had 100,000 miles on my 2011 and they were fine. I kept them greased and tightened, never disassembled.

Reilly

I agree that the bearings should last longer than 25,000 miles and, I am aware that the service manual calls for servicing them every 25,000 miles.
My local dealer told me that they are replacing allot of these bearing at 25,000 miles and almost none are lasting over 50,000.
I had 134,000 miles on my 2008 FLHTCU with the original bearings still in place.
The 2014 and up bearing is much bigger, ID 27mm OD 62mm, than the 2009 and earlier bearing so that may be the problem.
Does anyone know how to properly install the new races?

rbabos

Quote from: Reilly on January 05, 2020, 05:23:43 AM
I agree that the bearings should last longer than 25,000 miles and, I am aware that the service manual calls for servicing them every 25,000 miles.
My local dealer told me that they are replacing allot of these bearing at 25,000 miles and almost none are lasting over 50,000.
I had 134,000 miles on my 2008 FLHTCU with the original bearings still in place.
The 2014 and up bearing is much bigger, ID 27mm OD 62mm, than the 2009 and earlier bearing so that may be the problem.
Does anyone know how to properly install the new races?
Plenty of Youtube vids on that . Pretty much the same for all bikes.
Ron

Coyote

Service manual just says to drive the bearing cups out and use an HD tool to install the new ones.

PoorUB

Drive them out with a hammer and punch. You can get some threaded rod, nuts and some heavy washers and drive them back in using the old bearings.

Dan89flstc

January 05, 2020, 08:51:21 AM #8 Last Edit: January 05, 2020, 09:04:03 AM by Dan89flstc
Another "My dealer said" story...

Tossing a BS flag.
US Navy Veteran
A&P Mechanic

PoorUB

Yeah, I question the Dealer's comment too. Hell, neck bearings have never been an issue, unless they were not adjusted properly. They never wear out.

I have 30,000 miles on my '16 Limited and no plans on servicing them. Maybe at 50,000 I will look at 'em.

Dan89flstc

January 05, 2020, 10:25:46 AM #10 Last Edit: January 05, 2020, 01:12:27 PM by Dan89flstc
Quote from: PoorUB on January 05, 2020, 10:18:04 AM
Yeah, I question the Dealer's comment too.   

I`ll be the A-hole here and say I question if the dealer even said it.

Don`t know the op well enough in this forum to give a lot of credibility yet...
US Navy Veteran
A&P Mechanic

les

jsachs1

Adjusted properly, and lubed, they'll last for well over 50,000 miles. The fastest way to have problems is improper adjustment. Especially over tightening. Normally I weld the races out, when I have to change them.
John

les

The JIMS 5515 is equivalent to the HD-51727.

Pirsch Fire Wagon

Neck Bearings are a different animal.

Normally their wear is both forward and aft as they do not spin in the Race.

Properly maintained they last, sometime, the life of the Motorcycle needing only periodic lubrication and adjustment from wear.

I have several 17's with excess of 100k and none have "needed" replacement with the exception of one which was not greased and adjusted, ever. And the motorcycle sits outside uncovered.

The new Necks, IMO are much easier than previous to do maintenance on.

One thing we do is drill, tap, and add Zerk Fittings to those without them - Five minute Job. So they get greased at EVERY Service.

Races are no different for removal or installation than any other. Drive them out with a Drift and install with the tool. Easy-Peasy.
Tom

Reilly

The bearing on 2014 and up are much bigger than all previous models, 62mm OD 27mm ID.
I started working on bikes in 1971 and have done my own work, except bottom end, since then.
Built my shovelhead in 1997 and put it on the road in 1999. There are only 12 original Harley parts on the bike and the only thing I had done was the bottom end.
I have been on this form for a long time I just do not post very often.
I know you guys do not know me but, I am not a liar and do not appreciate being called one.

Pirsch Fire Wagon, which tool?

Pirsch Fire Wagon

Quote from: Reilly on January 05, 2020, 06:06:57 PM
The bearing on 2014 and up are much bigger than all previous models, 62mm OD 27mm ID.
I started working on bikes in 1971 and have done my own work, except bottom end, since then.
Built my shovelhead in 1997 and put it on the road in 1999. There are only 12 original Harley parts on the bike and the only thing I had done was the bottom end.
I have been on this form for a long time I just do not post very often.
I know you guys do not know me but, I am not a liar and do not appreciate being called one.

Pirsch Fire Wagon, which tool?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K1b3ibRn134 - You can also use a Wheel Bearing Rod with the OLD Bearing to set the race.
Tom

Ohio HD

Quote from: jsachs1 on January 05, 2020, 02:02:52 PM
Adjusted properly, and lubed, they'll last for well over 50,000 miles. The fastest way to have problems is improper adjustment. Especially over tightening. Normally I weld the races out, when I have to change them.
John

:up:

Reilly

Thanks  Pirsch Fire Wagon, I could not find that tool anywhere.

les

Quote from: Reilly on January 06, 2020, 07:50:33 AM
Thanks  Pirsch Fire Wagon, I could not find that tool anywhere.

You're welcome.

Pirsch Fire Wagon

Amazon has them as well. I did not look up prices. They run about $80 - Tool or no tool, MAKE SURE THEY ARE ALIGNED before installing. That's about all the instructions you'll need. Jimm's is the only Quality one out there (HD is Jimms), George's doesn't make them either. Unfortunately, buying just the installers for a system you have costs as much as the whole tool - Corporate Profits you know.

https://www.denniskirk.com/jims/late-model-neck-bearing-tool-5515.p284325.prd/284325.sku?utm_source=google&utm_medium=csecid=6821162156&aid=76472566741&keyword=827687763801%3A%3Apla-827687763801&kid=827687763801&gclid=CjwKCAiA0svwBRBhEiwAHqKjFmExdwD1Dc3yNFMC0H4Z-YRf3TJa3_kzZVDTq8wzHuZltjX2Wc2h5xoC9C0QAvD_BwE
Tom

Reilly

Hybredhog

Motion Pro makes a nice neck bearing tool I bought, I had to turn off a bit of the claws edge to get a better grip on a Harley neck, but it worked pretty slick. They're pretty quick about getting new tools out, So it wouldn't surprise me if one is in the works.

https://www.motionpro.com/product/08-0545
'01 FXDXT, '99 FXDL/XRD, '76 FLH

SE Road King

January 09, 2020, 01:45:54 AM #23 Last Edit: January 09, 2020, 02:09:53 AM by SE Road King
Quote from: PoorUB on January 04, 2020, 02:21:02 PM
I might be wrong, but the bearings are supposed to be SERVICED every 25,000 miles, not replaced. Pull them out, clean and repack, and reinstall. That said how often did neck bearings get serviced before HD stuck a grease zerk in the neck? IMO, 25,000 miles is a CYA move from the MoCo and don't need to be serviced that often.

Agreed. Unless you park your machine next to a blast furnace, or in an irrigation ditch, that general-purpose H-D grease has a heavy wax content and has plenty of stickum. I have never considered setting up or maintaining opposed taper-rollers to be JPL work at all.
Cedar Creek Lake, Texas
Rock Stock 2017 FLHR, Vivid Black

Pirsch Fire Wagon

Quote from: SE Road King on January 09, 2020, 01:45:54 AM
Quote from: PoorUB on January 04, 2020, 02:21:02 PM

Zerk Fitting have been on just about all models until 2014 when the Neck/Frame changed to open mono tube design. The Rushmores have sealed Bearings IIRC

Supplier (US) is Chevron: Chevron Ultra-Duty Grease EP
Tom