March 28, 2024, 03:13:52 AM

News:

1985 FXSB

Started by egstandard, May 12, 2019, 03:10:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

egstandard

What are your thoughts on this one year model? I found one for sale. Wasn't really looking for one, but they are kind of unique. Are they a bastard to find parts for? Any problems that really stand out on all of them. Thanks in advance.

Burnout

How original is it?

They don't call me Ironhead Rick just because I'm "hard headed"

egstandard

Rear fender has been changed to wide glide style.  Bike has been painted. Not all chopped up. Says 28,000 miles.  But who knows.

Julio

I just went through a '85 FXEF with high miles that had been in storage since 2000.
They're pretty much a mish mosh of '84-'89 evo and late shovel parts.
I had no problems finding what I needed, and I ended up rebuilding the complete braking system, cam chest, charging system and a bunch of other stuff.
Because it's a modified shovel frame and a 1 year model, you'll have trouble finding an aftermarket seat. I ended up making my own adapter for a Mustang seat.
Exhaust systems are also limited, but anything that fits a '84-'89 softail will fit with minor modifications to the hanger. You just need to make sure the rear pipe clears the kicker.
Mine had a flared fender which I replaced with a repop of the stock. It fit perfectly .

Mark222

I too have a '85 FXEF, owned since the 80s.

Parts can be found, but it is a bastard child.  Mine is far from stock, and am running a Mustang seat build for the year.  Not sure if they still make one, but I bought a used "spare" of the same model on EBAY just in case I ever wore out the first Mustang Seat I bought to replace the OEM.

The engine cases are the best, still sand casted I was told.  The OEM heads for the first few years of the Evo were not the best to mod (per John Sachs) but improvements can still be had if you choose to mod the head flow.  I bought a later set of bottom breathers to mod, shelved the factory 85 set of heads, just in case....

And as mentioned, it is a bottom breather with I prefer, but if you are interested and the price is right, why not.

But remember, you are talking to a multi HD owner, and the newest model I have in the stable is a '91 FLHTCU.

YMMV

Mark

guppymech

I'm curious what is the issue with the '85 seat being different?  I've got a '84 SG and I've read that H-D was starting to incorporate frame changes to fit the EVO then but I've had no problem fitting any seat with the two finger front mounting.  My frame is completely stock and it has sheetmetal plates welded to the area of the seatpost/top tube junction
'84 FXE, '02 883R

Mark222

Not sure why seats were rare back in the day, but there was little aftermarket that stated they would fit, and less now years later.

The Evo Mill is a tad taller (like 1.5" IIRC) that the Shovel Mill and the frame backbone was raised to accommodate.  Not sure how much that effected the seat...........

After that, I don't know.  I was happy enough with the Mustang seat (obviously since I bought a spare, just in case).  that I stopped looking back when, and that was a couple decades back.

Mark

egstandard

It's missing the mids and has the forwards. I know fxr mids are like gold these days. Would these mids be tough to find on this one year model? Or are they the standard 4 speed shovel frame mids?

rageglide

Mid controls are totally different than an FXR.  FXR mounts the pegs on the frame not the trans/primary.  These mids will likely be harder to find than FXR mids.

These one year bikes are cool, but not without one year challenges.

egstandard

I understand the difference. What I'm wondering is if they are standard superglide 4 speed frame mids or different for this bastard year.

guppymech

Quote from: egstandard on May 14, 2019, 06:27:57 AM
I understand the difference. What I'm wondering is if they are standard superglide 4 speed frame mids or different for this bastard year.
The mids for your '85 are the same as the mids on my '84 and some of the part numbers go back to '79.  I used a online parts finder for your '85 and compared the parts to the ones listed in my parts book for my bike.
'84 FXE, '02 883R

Julio

Plenty of mids out there, you just need to do your homework and look for the right ones.
I just picked this early FX setup this morning for $15.00. The seller had another one without the plunger in the same container.

The only difference between this one and the one on my '85 is the hole at the bottom of the backing plate for a mechanical brake light switch and the tab on the brake pedal to activate it. The plunger is wrong, but everything else will work just fine.

egstandard

Thanks guys for that info. I was finally able to check it out and ride it today. Put about 25 hard miles on it. Ran well, shifted well, stopped well. Everything works. It kickstarted when it was cold in 4 kicks. After that, 1 kick. I got him down to 3500  bucks. I think I am going to take a chance on this bastard.

david lee

same as my 80 lowrider which i had to find so i could get rid of those useless forward controls

Mark222

I'll take a look, I may have a set of mids for the machine......

Mark

egstandard

I didn't buy it. Project I don't really need right now. But I did score a really clean unmolested 81 fxs shovel. Thanks guys for all that info. On to the shovel boards!