March 28, 2024, 04:01:23 AM

News:

EVO Carbs

Started by wingingit2, April 13, 2019, 05:58:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wingingit2

I have a '92 FXSR Low Rider and am rebuilding the carb. The carb kit spec'ed for this bike has different parts than the cab has. It is an All Balls kit # 26-1760. I think I may have a wrong carb on the bike. It is marked Y74A FJ21 27038-0237.

Does anyone have a carb list for these bikes by year? The HD Manual only lists jets. Which are different from what I have.

Thank for any help!!

egstandard

Or the wrong gasket kit. It should have a CV carb on it, and they were all pretty much the same through the years. Early Sportys didn't  have accelerator pumps. And they changed the float appearance once I think.

Burnout

Post a pic of your carb for a quick ID.
They don't call me Ironhead Rick just because I'm "hard headed"

jamminhd2000

http://partsfinder.onlinemicrofiche.com/stcharlesharleydavidson/showmodel.asp?Type=13&make=hdmc&a=129&b=7&c=0&d=1992%20FXRS%20Low%20Rider%20(EB)%20CARBURETOR%20ASSEMBLY

wingingit2

It is a CV carb and looks like the parts fiche. I see that it does not have stock jetting and the jet holder doesn't look stock either.
Can anyone  tell me how many holes are in the stock jet holder? Mine only has 2 holes. In the attached the right setup is what came out of my carb and the left is the All Balls replacement.

JW113

It appears that somebody before your time with it installed a Dynojet kit (or some other) modification, which was a popular hack back in the day. My advice, for what it's worth, try to round up the stock parts and de-Dynojet it. Hopefully the slider vent hole was not drilled out, but I'm guessing it was.

-JW
2004 FLHRS   1977 FLH Shovelhead  1992 FLSTC
1945 Indian Chief   1978 XL Bobber

koko3052

If the slider vent hole was drilled out you can fill it in with JB Weld & then redrill it proper size when hardend.

Flhfxd

Could be a CV Performance rebuild kit.
"And the road goes on forever...... But I got one more silver dollar.....'

Hossamania

Of the two emulsion tubes you have pictured, I would use the one with more holes. Can't remember how many are in a stock tube, but definitely more than two.
A 170 main jet, 45 pilot jet, idle mixture screw about two turns out, new accelerator diaphragm and spring, plus gaskets, should get you going.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take away everything you have.

wingingit2

Quote from: Flhfxd on April 14, 2019, 11:57:41 AM
Could be a CV Performance rebuild kit.

What is the stock size for the slider hole??

wingingit2

April 14, 2019, 03:53:26 PM #10 Last Edit: April 14, 2019, 04:06:46 PM by wingingit2
Quote from: Hossamania on April 14, 2019, 01:47:19 PM
Of the two emulsion tubes you have pictured, I would use the one with more holes. Can't remember how many are in a stock tube, but definitely more than two.
A 170 main jet, 45 pilot jet, idle mixture screw about two turns out, new accelerator diaphragm and spring, plus gaskets, should get you going.

This makes sense to me. I have not seen an emulsion tube with so few holes before. Already have the rest, except the 170 jet. I have 175, 180, 185 jets on hand. And the pilot jet is not removable and is listed as a 40 in the manual.
When talking about jetting I should mention I am at 4500 feet in elevation.

cheech

Quote from: wingingit2 on April 14, 2019, 03:53:26 PM

And the pilot jet is not removable and is listed as a 40 in the manual.

I have no sevice manual for that in front of me.
But the pilot jet is number 36 in that fiche (referred to as the slow jet)  in the link above and is removeable.
Now the Idle mixture screw usually has a aluminum plug over it that you drill a small hole in, thread a drywall screw in slightly and pull out to get to the mixture screw and make adjustments. More than likely already done. Lol, seen pic, is done.
Is the slide aluminum or plastic?
Dynojet has a thundrslide kit that had a plastic slide, jets, tube, and whatnot.
2 holes in the emulsion tube seem weird, but a search of the dynojet kits show the same tube.

wingingit2

Even though I know you are all wrong about the pilot jet :embarrassed: I went back and looked harder at the fiche, manual and carb. I was mistaking the fuel enrichment jet for the pilot jet. The pilot jet tower, even after ultrasonic cleaning, was so gunked up I dug thru and found the pilot jet. It even came out.
One problem solved.

Thanks.

wingingit2

The slide is aluminum.

I am going to ask a stupid question. I think this is an EVO engine. Can someone confirm this? And which Dynojet kit would it use??

Breeze

Easiest way to id an Evo is the 3 piece sandwich rocker covers.  I will try to remember to dig out the stock carb from my '92 FXDC and post the part number stamped in it.
I'm starting to believe my body is gonna outlast my mind.

Hossamania

Quote from: wingingit2 on April 14, 2019, 09:33:44 PM
The slide is aluminum.

I am going to ask a stupid question. I think this is an EVO engine. Can someone confirm this? And which Dynojet kit would it use??

Yes, it is an Evo engine, unless it was replaced with a shovel motor, highly doubtful.
New slides are still available, about $40 last time I bought.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take away everything you have.

Burnout

The slide is aluminum.

It is my recommendation to NOT use Dynojet kits in CV carbs. I think others also pointed you in this direction.

Your best move is to find original parts.

wingingit2

OK, good. It is an EVO motor.

wingingit2

April 15, 2019, 08:38:20 AM #18 Last Edit: April 15, 2019, 08:49:11 AM by wingingit2
Quote from: Burnout on April 15, 2019, 08:24:38 AM
The slide is aluminum.

It is my recommendation to NOT use Dynojet kits in CV carbs. I think others also pointed you in this direction.

Your best move is to find original parts.

I think I will use the 6Sigma jet kit, it uses Keihin jets and the All Balls carb kit which supplies the what looks like an original emulsion tube & needle .

JW113

Well my friend, I think you should do as you will on this. You didn't know the engine was an EVO, and didn't seem to be sure the carb was a CV. But, you liked what you read in the advertising for yet another "magic carb kit", and choose not to follow the advice of us old dogs who have been dealing with this carb and the various other "magic carb kits" for the past 30 years.

Best of luck to you, sounds like experience building to me.

-JW
2004 FLHRS   1977 FLH Shovelhead  1992 FLSTC
1945 Indian Chief   1978 XL Bobber

JamesButler

April 16, 2019, 09:21:48 AM #20 Last Edit: April 16, 2019, 10:16:23 AM by JamesButler
Quote from: JW113 on April 16, 2019, 08:44:58 AM
Well my friend, I think you should do as you will on this. You didn't know the engine was an EVO, and didn't seem to be sure the carb was a CV. But, you liked what you read in the advertising for yet another "magic carb kit", and choose not to follow the advice of us old dogs who have been dealing with this carb and the various other "magic carb kits" for the past 30 years.

Best of luck to you, sounds like experience building to me.

-JW

JW, I AGREE 100%.  I didn't want to chime in b/c I thought the OP might be trolling at first, but if not, then it seems wingingit2 that you are going into all of this ass-backwards.  In addition, you referred to the FXRS an FXSR in your original post -perhaps a typo, but given everything else, it's not a good look.

We've all been new at this at one time or another, but you're fortunate enough to come into this Evo world where everything has already been done.  There's nothing new to be invented.  Moreover, you've somehow stumbled onto this site where many members have forgotten more than many of us, myself included, will ever learn.  So, Instead of focusing on some hack kit that most members on this site know has little to no performance effect on your motor, maybe take some more time to do a google search and / or a google images search on the CV-40.  All the info needed will be easily at hand.  After all, you found this site by searching the web, and I would guess that this site is a little more difficult to find than info on a CV-40. 

Yet for some weird reason you're stuck on this All Balls 6Sigma jet / flux capacitor kit.  It's as if you've already made up your mind without having any facts, and are dismissing any info contrary to your pre-gotten notion.  Maybe you could elaborate on that decision and enlighten the "old dogs" who have learned over the past 30+ years that when it comes to the CV-40 carb, there are no new tricks.

In addition, look at some online parts catalogs, learn some history on the Evo and the CV-carb, get yourself a parts catalog and service manual and skim through them.  You'll be surprised on what you'll learn.  We've all been there. The initial learning curve is long but do us all a favor. 

wingingit2

You guys have no mercy. I used the 2 kits because they supplied the parts you people suggested using, and I had already bought them. Money spent. And yes that was a typo. Maybe you should read a little better, or maybe you flunked out of school and can't read. :turd:

Burnout

:pop:

There you go, that's the way to make friends and garner support!

The All Balls emulsion tube I hope is a OEM replacement not a wowie zowie part.

Does it accept standard Kehin Jets?

hbkeith

April 17, 2019, 02:08:09 AM #23 Last Edit: April 17, 2019, 02:13:26 AM by hbkeith
Quote from: wingingit2 on April 16, 2019, 09:57:39 AM
You guys have no mercy. I used the 2 kits because they supplied the parts you people suggested using, and I had already bought them. Money spent. And yes that was a typo. Maybe you should read a little better, or maybe you flunked out of school and can't read. :turd:
JW was only  pointing out the facts , appreciate it and learn.

Hillside Motorcycle

Twice this year so far we have had bikes come in with CV carbs that someone has installed a super-duper kit in it.
Last one had the leading edge of the vacuum piston slide radiused. :dgust:
Could not tune either correctly.
Both ended up with basically stock, jetted, CV carbs, and dyno tuned off very nicely.
Otto Knowbetter sez, "Even a fish wouldn't get caught if he kept his mouth shut"