March 28, 2024, 02:10:34 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

CV Carb question

Started by PJultra, July 21, 2019, 05:08:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PJultra

Looking at a CV carb on ebay (I can't seem to post a pic) that has a fitting just like the fuel line fitting, on the same side of the carb, to the left or the engine end of the carb.
What would that be for??? Wish I coul post the pic.   
98 Ultra Classic  FLHTCU<br />78 Low Rider FXS

FSG

what is the ebay item number

PJultra

I went ahead and bought it. So I don't know if you'd be able to see it.  Item #153570789409

tomfiii

The fitting if at top of throttle bore is for vacuum line for ignition retard apparatus.

14Frisco

Quote from: PJultra on July 21, 2019, 05:08:32 PM
Looking at a CV carb on ebay (I can't seem to post a pic) that has a fitting just like the fuel line fitting, on the same side of the carb, to the left or the engine end of the carb.
What would that be for??? Wish I coul post the pic.   

That would be the fitting for the "purge hose".  California models had additional evap emission stuff that 49-state bikes didn't have designed to pull fuel vapors and overflow and route them back to the air cleaner back plate.  This included an additional fitting on the carb.
Thus, you have a California CV carb coming.  And you need to cap that fitting on the carb with a vaccum cap.  (This assumes you don't utilize the CA evap emission stuff on your bike.  And if you do, I'd remove it.)

The carb you bought also appears to have the original plastic fuel fitting.  I would replace it with a brass one, 27371-76A from the dealer, since they are prone to cracking.  There are a couple of how-to guides floating around, e.g. http://web.archive.org/web/20050306151854/www.directparts.com/ccp/installelbow.htm

PJultra

Thanks for the response. I do live in the fucked state of California. My bike was EFI and had the emissions crap hooked up, but now it's carbed without emissions crap.
I have a broken CV carb with the brass fuel fitting that I'm gunna pull and put in this carb.
Thanks again