April 19, 2024, 12:57:08 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

99 FXSTC Speedo Codes

Started by Dogz, July 22, 2019, 05:23:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dogz

Got my bike back from havin base gasket replaced a month ago. Noticed my speedo needle is floatin at around 70-80 mph and around 35 - 50. I keep the throttle the same, but the needle floats between speeds 5 - 10 mph. I looked at the codes and all were clr except for d02-set, do8-set & CAL 05. I pulled the dashs off, unplugged the connectors, plugged them back in. A few days later went to go for a ride and now the needle on startup, moves down then back to zero, but the needle doesn't move when I started to ride.

I seem to remember way back when (2001 ish) taking it to a dealer and they said something about added a resistor to correct it?

I did pull the sensor & cleaned off some metal shavings. Haven't checked the speedo since as I notice the shop who did the base gaskets, took the torque cones I had out of my pipes and didn't tell me they did or give them back to me.... :down: :argue:

What does "set" mean? an error? Any ideas?

There are 7 different diagnostic codes available:
d01 - Speed sensor power output shorted low
d02 - Speed sensor power output shorted high or open
d03 - Not Used
d04 - Not Used
d05 - Speed sensor return shorted high
d06 - Speed sensor return shorted low
d07 - Not Used
d08 - Speedometer power over voltage
d09 - Speed output shorted high
d10 - Speed output shorted low or open
CAL XX - Speedometer application calibration number:
14 = Domestic
15 = HDI
When in the diagnostic mode, all codes are displayed in sequence from d01 to d10.
As a code appears in the display (for instance d02), it will read
"d02Set" if set or "d02CLr" if clear.

rigidthumper

Set = fault, Clr = OK.
D02 SET almost always was a bad VSS, occasionally would find a pinched wire.
Ignorance is bliss, and accuracy expensive. How much of either can you afford?

Dogz

looked into this more saturday. white wire was out of the socket for the speed sensor. Got a new pin and workin like a charm.

rigidthumper

Ignorance is bliss, and accuracy expensive. How much of either can you afford?