April 18, 2024, 04:56:40 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Drag Link/Oil Pump Check Valve?

Started by fdrdr1, August 04, 2019, 04:33:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fdrdr1

Having issues with sumping (1991 FXRS), ever since I moved to an area that suffers from extreme heat during the summer in my garage. Seems like if I don't ride for over a week I will experience sumping - never had this issue before so I don't know if the heat has anything to do with it, however I am trying to access the oil pump check valve - anyone know if a drag link is necessary for removal, if so what size, or will a screwdriver work - haven't drained the oil yet so I have not tried a flat blade screwdriver - thanks!

screem

I have and old Craftsman large flat blade with a square shank, I use a small adjustable wrench to loosen the fitting

guido4198

I was able to remove mine with a VERY large square shank screwdriver. I eventually acquired a drag link and ground it down just a little to fit the slot perfectly. Works MUCH better.

TexNorth

And when you get it out, change it to an allen key or hex style.    :SM:

Breeze

If you happen to have an old impact driver, most had a very large straight bit that fits pretty good.
I'm starting to believe my body is gonna outlast my mind.