March 28, 2024, 05:54:06 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Ignition on a mild 80" Evo?

Started by Finn, August 18, 2019, 08:31:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Finn

So,

it'll be a mild 80" Evo with EV13, CV 40, 2-2 exhaust with a tad more open mufflers and mildly cleaned heads and 9.2:1.

If I would put in a new ignition - such as DTT 1005 or Dynatek 2000/2Ki - would I be able to feel possible difference in power/torque and/or starting etc. behaviour or are the gains minor?
-83 GS1000G | -84 GSX1100EF | -97 FLHR | -98 FLSTS | -16 Triumph Tiger Explorer XRT 1200

rredneckn2

Yes and yes if upgrading from a stock ignition.
If you don't like what I say DONT read it

JW113

Above about 2K rpm, the timing would be no different between stock and aftermarket. What the aftermarket box brings to party is the ability to tailor the advance curve behavior, which is often needed when increasing the compression ratio. The EV-13 is no wild cam, but bumping the compression will make the bike a bit more prone to pinging at low rpm. Another "knob to twiddle" is the VOES. If you pull the spunk out of the VOES, there is a screw in there that you can alter the vacuum trip point. Stock, I think they are typically like 2 mm/HG. I have mine set to 5 mm/HG. You then need to seal the tower on the VOES up with some vacuum grease and a rubber cap.

The other thing that the aftermarket boxes do is allow you increase the rev limiter, if you have the valve springs and are so inclined. I wouldn't trust the stock springs much above 5500.

-JW
2004 FLHRS   1977 FLH Shovelhead  1992 FLSTC
1945 Indian Chief   1978 XL Bobber

thumper 823

When you walk close to the edge it does get slippery.

I always tell people to do this-
Get a sheet of paper and write at the bottom of the page what you want to see for an end product./ TQ and perhaps HP.
Now everything you do should focus parts wise and labor wise in that direction.
Now start at the top and fill in the blanks.

Too many will buy this, that and the other thing in a helter-skelter aim at improvements.
If you are going to up the CR latter and want a better ign now,-Buy a  Day TT or something like it.
Dont waste your cash on stock HD crap.
and versa visa
D Troop 3/5, - C/16 ,162AHC, Mekong delta.
Rising from the Ashes  UHIH

jsachs1

I replace all Evo and Twin Cam carb bikes ign. with Daytona Twin Tec units. They're adjustable, and I haven't had any trouble with them ever. Been doing it for years.
Imo, the best out there.
John

rredneckn2

Quote from: jsachs1 on August 18, 2019, 02:34:43 PM
I replace all Evo and Twin Cam carb bikes ign. with Daytona Twin Tec units. They're adjustable, and I haven't had any trouble with them ever. Been doing it for years.
Imo, the best out there.
John
I have to agree they are the best. Pricey but you get what you pay for. Another alternative if the wallet can't cover the DTT is the Ultima single fire ignition. It's the same unit as the dyna but cheaper. I have Installed quite a few with no problems. A few of those replaced the problematic Crane Hi 4 that wasn't cheap either.
If you don't like what I say DONT read it

Hillside Motorcycle

The OEM unit will work on a mild set-up, but it'll turn out the lights at 5200 rpms.
Otto Knowbetter sez, "Even a fish wouldn't get caught if he kept his mouth shut"

Burnout

Quote from: Hillside Motorcycle on August 20, 2019, 04:10:12 AM
The OEM unit will work on a mild set-up, but it'll turn out the lights at 5200 rpms.

Use a police module....
They don't call me Ironhead Rick just because I'm "hard headed"

JW113

Or Sportster.... if you have the valve spirngs.
:wink:

-JW
2004 FLHRS   1977 FLH Shovelhead  1992 FLSTC
1945 Indian Chief   1978 XL Bobber

Finn

Thank yous for the replies and advise.  :beer:
-83 GS1000G | -84 GSX1100EF | -97 FLHR | -98 FLSTS | -16 Triumph Tiger Explorer XRT 1200