March 28, 2024, 11:59:53 PM

News:

95 inch ping

Started by egstandard, December 04, 2018, 10:40:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Y2KRKNG

I can tell you the Dynatek is idiot proof and cheaper. You will be on 34A or 32A setting, 36A is basically the stock curve. If you would never justify the Dyno time then the DTT will be much more of a headache for you, guaranteed. 
ATP(TurboHarry)95",Mik45,Branch/Mik "Flowmetric" heads,TW55,T.Header 2-1

1FSTRK

Quote from: Y2KRKNG on December 06, 2018, 07:14:36 AM
I can tell you the Dynatek is idiot proof and cheaper. You will be on 34A or 32A setting, 36A is basically the stock curve. If you would never justify the Dyno time then the DTT will be much more of a headache for you, guaranteed.

Not sure where you opinion is coming from, more choices does not mean more complicated. Changing the factory settings on the DTT by turning the dials is no different than picking a setting on the Dynatek other than there are more maps to choose from giving a better chance of finding the closest match even if you do not dyno tune. If you choose to dyno tune it can be programmed with a custom map. 
"Never hang on to a mistake just because you spent time or money making it."

Y2KRKNG

Quote from: 1FSTRK on December 06, 2018, 12:28:19 PM

Not sure where you opinion is coming from, more choices does not mean more complicated. Changing the factory settings on the DTT by turning the dials is no different than picking a setting on the Dynatek other than there are more maps to choose from giving a better chance of finding the closest match even if you do not dyno tune. If you choose to dyno tune it can be programmed with a custom map.

You have to juggle 3 dials on the DTT

Hossamania

I found it pretty easy to dial in the DTT, and I'm no tuner, for sure. There are really only two dials to deal with for timing, and they are easy to figure out. 5/5 is stock timing and curve, go from there. I think mine ended up 1(multi spark), 1(initial timing), 2(curve or slope), 1 (6100 rpm redline). Banged that redline thousands of times. Thought about 6200, but figured it would blow to hell after all this time at 6100.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take away everything you have.

Hossamania

Quote from: Y2KRKNG on December 06, 2018, 01:02:14 PM

You have to juggle 3 dials on the DTT

Like I said, really only two for timing, the first is for single or multi spark.

egstandard

Well guys, I haven't messed with timing since my shovel days. I like to keep things simple. That's why i have a carbed 04. So I basically know nothing about these programmable modules. Sounds like I'm gonna have to learn to get the most out of this bike. I appreciate everything you all have said so far. Anything else you can tell me will be greatly appreciated also. I've watched the DTT installation video, and that looks simple enough. I can use my stock coil and plug wires, correct?

Y2KRKNG

I actually would leave things alone. For a modified carbed bike to never-ever ping under any circumstance you'd have to pull a lot of timing. If you're talking about a slight ping in the beginning of a heavy load roll-on  under the most extreme condition then just try to ride around it or carry some octane boost.

1FSTRK

December 06, 2018, 02:50:55 PM #32 Last Edit: December 06, 2018, 03:07:41 PM by 1FSTRK
Quote from: egstandard on December 06, 2018, 02:03:30 PM
Well guys, I haven't messed with timing since my shovel days. I like to keep things simple. That's why i have a carbed 04. So I basically know nothing about these programmable modules. Sounds like I'm gonna have to learn to get the most out of this bike. I appreciate everything you all have said so far. Anything else you can tell me will be greatly appreciated also. I've watched the DTT installation video, and that looks simple enough. I can use my stock coil and plug wires, correct?

Correct.
Simple plug in, set the dials and ride. If you have some ping note the rpm and adjust the curve dial then retest. It is all in the instructions, if you can read you can dial in the timing.

The instructions will tell you how to set the dials to mimic a stock curve. You can start there and just back the timing down a little bit in the rpm you have ping until you get it right. You may it needs a touch more adjustment once you get to the rally hot part of summer.

rking1550

Or you could go with the S&S  IST ignition. Not cheap but I'm running one on a 01 roadking and loving it. It replaced a DTT system that I couldn't get a slight ping out of with it. Just using the dials. But with the s&s unit I'm getting easier starts and no ping. It uses a knock and head temp sensors. Learns and adjusts on it's own. Change cams, exhaust, it'll make any adjustments needed. Imhoits the best unit out there for a carbed bike.
124"@ 11.1 to 1, T-man 662-2, T-man thumper, woods CV 51 carb,  Bassini RR

1FSTRK

Quote from: rking1550 on December 07, 2018, 03:43:25 AM
Or you could go with the S&S  IST ignition. Not cheap but I'm running one on a 01 roadking and loving it. It replaced a DTT system that I couldn't get a slight ping out of with it. Just using the dials. But with the s&s unit I'm getting easier starts and no ping. It uses a knock and head temp sensors. Learns and adjusts on it's own. Change cams, exhaust, it'll make any adjustments needed. Imhoits the best unit out there for a carbed bike.

That system will help save the engine from ping but just like the EFI bikes with ION or knock sensors it will not tune for power, you do not always make the smoothest running best power with spark timing curves that are on the edge of pinging.

rking1550

:scoot: hi
Quote from: 1FSTRK on December 07, 2018, 03:50:34 AM

That system will help save the engine from ping but just like the EFI bikes with ION or knock sensors it will not tune for power, you do not always make the smoothest running best power with spark timing curves that are on the edge of pinging.

I asked S&S about that before I bought it. They claim it's programmed for a performance tune. I agree a safe ignition curve isn't always the best performance curve. But I do know this,  while I didn't really gain any hp over the DTT , I definately didnt loose any and have better starting, a cooler running bike and no ping now.

1FSTRK

Quote from: rking1550 on December 07, 2018, 06:00:18 AM

I asked S&S about that before I bought it. They claim it's programmed for a performance tune. I agree a safe ignition curve isn't always the best performance curve. But I do know this,  while I didn't really gain any hp over the DTT , I definately didnt loose any and have better starting, a cooler running bike and no ping now.

What engine are you running it on?

rking1550

Quote from: 1FSTRK on December 07, 2018, 10:00:53 AM

A custom built 120" @ 11.3, t-man 662-2 cams and thumper heads, woods cv 51 carb. 2 into 1 exhaust.

1FSTRK

Quote from: rking1550 on December 07, 2018, 10:37:57 AM

A custom built 120" @ 11.3, t-man 662-2 cams and thumper heads, woods cv 51 carb. 2 into 1 exhaust.

Did you ever get it dyno tuned back when you were trying to get the ping out with the DTT or did you just put on the S&S because you had it laying on the shelf?

I am sure it took care of the ping, that is what it was made to do, that and save create engines that are under warranty but I do not see how a canned map from a different engine can be considered a performance timing map on a custom engine.

rking1550

Quote from: 1FSTRK on December 07, 2018, 12:31:01 PM

Did you ever get it dyno tuned back when you were trying to get the ping out with the DTT or did you just put on the S&S because you had it laying on the shelf?

I am sure it took care of the ping, that is what it was made to do, that and save create engines that are under warranty but I do not see how a canned map from a different engine can be considered a performance timing map on a custom engine.

Yes. Had it tuned, tried the dials and some custom maps   for the DTT.  Ping was light and only in one area,  but there.
From what I understand  the s&s unit isn't a canned map thing, it learns and adjusts all the time. Not a load it and forget type of thing.  Its constantly Adjusting for all condition, from new mods, fuel, elevation.

1FSTRK

Quote from: rking1550 on December 07, 2018, 03:13:14 PM

Yes. Had it tuned, tried the dials and some custom maps   for the DTT.  Ping was light and only in one area,  but there.
From what I understand  the s&s unit isn't a canned map thing, it learns and adjusts all the time. Not a load it and forget type of thing.  Its constantly Adjusting for all condition, from new mods, fuel, elevation.

Yes it constantly uses the knock sensor to pull timing when ever detonation occurs which means there was too much timing in the cal to begin with and it can only pull timing after there was already a knock event. This is the same thing that is going on when people run EFI without a tune and just let the Ion sensors pull what ever is needed after the fact.

rking1550

Quote from: 1FSTRK on December 07, 2018, 04:45:36 PM

Yes it constantly uses the knock sensor to pull timing when ever detonation occurs which means there was too much timing in the cal to begin with and it can only pull timing after there was already a knock event. This is the same thing that is going on when people run EFI without a tune and just let the Ion sensors pull what ever is needed after the fact.

But along with the knock sensor it uses  a head temp sensor, so I would think its watching more than just knock. I'm  no expert by any means. But my experience it seems to do its job well. Runs cool , smooth, starts easy. Makes the same hp I did with the dtt. Using the dials, not a custom map.
But sounds like you don't like it or thing it's a good system ?

1FSTRK

Quote from: rking1550 on December 07, 2018, 04:59:43 PM
Quote from: 1FSTRK on December 07, 2018, 04:45:36 PM

But along with the knock sensor it uses  a head temp sensor, so I would think its watching more than just knock. I'm  no expert by any means. But my experience it seems to do its job well. Runs cool , smooth, starts easy. Makes the same hp I did with the dtt. Using the dials, not a custom map.
But sounds like you don't like it or thing it's a good system ?

It is an advanced system and serves it's purpose of saving un-tuned engines from extreme damage. Given S&S has no control over how people tune or don't tune the crate engines that they have to stand behind I can understand why they require it be used, it also satisfies the EPA. For those with one off builds that have no way to write a custom timing map it is probably one of the safer choices available. 

egstandard

I'll be trailering it down to Florida in Feb. for the Daytona 500 and staying through bike week. I'll bring some different plugs to experiment with, and really take note of the rpm's, gear I'm in, and how I am throttling when it pings. I'll take all your comments into consideration and should have an idea of which direction I want to go when I get back to Illinois at the end of March. Thank you Gentleman!

barny7655

do a comp test, you may  find it higher than was when new , run a can of  carbon cleaner through the motor, while  at 2000 revs through intake to rid the carbon build up ,do another comp test if lower  great , have a scope, have a look through plug holes ,also you may have a leaking valve seal  look at them ,take it for a good run out on the road ,  after this  if your happy change the oil and filter,cheers
riding since 62, BSA bantum the first bike

Trouble

Did similar work on my '04 RK, except used stock head gaskets and SE203 cam with the recommended sportster needle for the CV. Used SE ignition module that retards timing 5* under load. Never a ping. Those thinner head gaskets may require better timing control. Upped the main jet a size or two also.
You can try and make something idiot-proof, but those idiots are so darn clever

BanditLoon2003

2003 FLHT 95 cu in ,Andrews 21, DDT ignition, also had ping . took it to Brian at Valley Racing and have been running it for quite a few years on his tune with no ping and it proved to be a great highway cruiser.

trex

Quote from: egstandard on December 04, 2018, 01:43:13 PM
Like a Daytona Twin Tech?
I have a 95in, 2003 with 10.5-1 and Wood Tw8 cams and had ping issues with DTT ignitions, went through two of them. Changed to Dynatek and no more ping

Hossamania

Quote from: trex on January 20, 2019, 09:03:05 AM
Quote from: egstandard on December 04, 2018, 01:43:13 PM
Like a Daytona Twin Tech?
I have a 95in, 2003 with 10.5-1 and Wood Tw8 cams and had ping issues with DTT ignitions, went through two of them. Changed to Dynatek and no more ping

Interesting. When I do a rebuild, I will look into the Dynatek if I still have ping issues. Only have 112,000 abusive miles, so no time soon........

Don D

Have a look at the plugs. Oil in the combustion will effectively lower octane