March 28, 2024, 05:17:07 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Barnett clutch basket

Started by dheath9994, January 15, 2019, 03:51:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dheath9994

Recently did a 110 kit. I did the top end, redid the crank completely, timken conversion the whole works so now my only concern is the clutch. I already have a Barnett spring with a VP clutch setup. I was gunna add a Barnett Kevlar +1 kit and so the Billet Aluminhm Barnett basket. Every post and video I find is about removing the entire hub. Can I leave the whole hub, chain and compensator assembly on the bike and remove just the basket? Barnett's description claims theres is a direct replacement for the OEM basket

dheath9994

Also if this helps with answers the bike is a 2016 street glide

Ohio HD

No, the basket and ring gear is an assembly.

turboprop

Quote from: dheath9994 on January 15, 2019, 03:51:45 PM
Recently did a 110 kit. I did the top end, redid the crank completely, timken conversion the whole works so now my only concern is the clutch. I already have a Barnett spring with a VP clutch setup. I was gunna add a Barnett Kevlar +1 kit and so the Billet Aluminhm Barnett basket. Every post and video I find is about removing the entire hub. Can I leave the whole hub, chain and compensator assembly on the bike and remove just the basket? Barnett's description claims theres is a direct replacement for the OEM basket

Makes sense. Try it. Let us know what you learn.
'We' like this' - Said by the one man operation.

dheath9994

:hug: well just watched a video that it bolts on from the bad of the hub. That sucks guess it all has to come out

turboprop

Quote from: dheath9994 on January 15, 2019, 04:50:19 PM
:hug: well just watched a video that it bolts on from the bad of the hub. That sucks guess it all has to come out

Really? I did not know that. Would like to see that video showing how the basket bolts on to the back of the hub. Please share the link.

N-gin

It's riveted.
I drilled the rivit and used a punch to remove. Then used the supplied 3/8 x 3/4 grade 8 bolts and lock tabs.
I'm not here cause of a path before me, Im here cause of the burnout left behind

turboprop

Quote from: N-gin on January 15, 2019, 06:24:18 PM
It's riveted.
I drilled the rivit and used a punch to remove. Then used the supplied 3/8 x 3/4 grade 8 bolts and lock tabs.

The OP is talking about replacing the basket.

masstch

January 15, 2019, 09:41:02 PM #8 Last Edit: January 15, 2019, 10:08:43 PM by masstch
Quote from: turboprop link=topic=107459.msg1277131#msg1277131 date=

The OP is talking about replacing the basket.

Yes. The basket is riveted to the hub/ring gear assembly. Whether you buy a basket from Trask, Barnett or Evo Industries, the billet replacement baskets are provided with lock tabs and bolts and you have to drill out the rivets to attach the new basket. OEM doesn't sell the baskets separately, only the entire basket/hub assembly. Of course the OEM baskets are weak if you have a built engine.
Note the threaded holes in the new basket
This https://www.fixmyhog.com/video/harley-clutch-basket-failure-solution-010988/ is a sales pitch but the last few seconds show the bolt process and location.
Rhetorical questions, who still does those?

Hilly13

Turboprop, over here we would say that went straight to the keeper  :teeth:
Just because its said don't make it so

PoorUB

Good think he explained  that for Turboprop! He might not know! :hyst:
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

turboprop

Quote from: PoorUB on January 16, 2019, 04:14:20 AM
Good think he explained  that for Turboprop! He might not know! :hyst:

I think the OP's question was explained pretty clearly in his initial post.

Still real anxious to see the video of how the basket bolts to the back of the hub. 

nosjunkie

Doesn't the hub press in from the back of the basket?
LIVE FREE OR DIE..

Ohio HD

Clutch hub presses in from the front. Presses out from the back side.

turboprop

Quote from: nosjunkie on January 16, 2019, 08:42:47 AM

It does, but the OP found a video showing the basket bolting on from the back. I want to see this.

masstch

January 16, 2019, 01:06:10 PM #15 Last Edit: January 16, 2019, 01:45:09 PM by masstch
It seems there is a pile of sarcasm being tossed about.
I'm not the OP. I posted a video that shows the bolts being installed through the backside of the ring gear assembly (not the clutch hub) into the new basket. I erroneously referred to the ring gear assembly as the 'hub/ring gear assembly' The replacement (billet) basket still gets bolted to the front of the ring gear with bolts through the back side of the ring gear, regardless of the snark level in the room. Lots of folks come here looking for help. It seems like if you guys wanted to help OP you would point out that he has the name of the part wrong and help sort out the thought process. But of course it may be more entertaining for you to be arrogant and snarky. OMG! He said 'hub' when we all know he meant the ring gear!! Get 'im, boys!!! Yee-haw!

Also, when you tried to make game of dheath9994, you 'misquoted' him. He said 'bolted from', you changed it to 'bolted to' either trying to make him seem stupid or it was your misunderstanding...boy, you sure made him look dumb, huh?

Good job

masstch

January 16, 2019, 01:56:56 PM #16 Last Edit: January 16, 2019, 02:01:18 PM by masstch
Quote from: turboprop on January 16, 2019, 09:26:08 AM

It does, but the OP found a video showing the basket bolting on from the back. I want to see this.

Here ya go.
(just in case the O.P. would like some clarity)

turboprop

January 16, 2019, 02:24:23 PM #17 Last Edit: January 16, 2019, 02:28:46 PM by turboprop
Quote from: masstch on January 16, 2019, 01:56:56 PM

Here ya go.

Calm down Francis, it is obvious that you have no idea what you are talking about. That is not the hub that is being bolted in. The hub presses into the bearing and is secured via a snap ring. Too funny but unfortunately way too common.

PoorUB

Um, yeah, when did the conversation go from basket to ring gear?  :idunno:

At least one person wasn't paying attention! The OP never asked about the ring gear!

kd

Maybe I can help.  No dog in this show but the OP asks one question (in the last sentence) which requires a yes or a no.   :doh:  I say no.   :wink: 
KD

1FSTRK

Quote from: PoorUB on January 16, 2019, 02:29:57 PM

At least one person wasn't paying attention! The OP never asked about the ring gear!
The OP was fine.
Here is the post where the he miss spelled Back as Bad and used the work hub when he should have said basket.

Quote from: dheath9994 on January 15, 2019, 04:50:19 PM

"Never hang on to a mistake just because you spent time or money making it."

masstch

Quote from: turboprop on January 16, 2019, 02:24:23 PM

Here ya go.

Calm down Francis, it is obvious that you have no idea what you are talking about. That is not the hub that is being bolted in. The hub presses into the bearing and is secured via a snap ring. Too funny but unfortunately way too common.
Actually, Julius, I have quite a clue what I'm talking about and am well versed in the task at hand. The pictures I posted are my broken baskets and the Trask basket is enroute. I will install it as soon as it arrives. I can send you labeled pictures if you'd like. I'm fully aware of the assembly sequence.
The part I can't figure out is exactly in which post you offered ANY help at all to the O.P.
I checked them all. You offered sarcasm and then a sort of dare "oh, yah, let me know if that works" followed by "oh I'd like to see that" all based on the O.P.'s mis-naming of components.
Not a single helpful comment that I could find where you corrected his misunderstanding.
Clearly, as I will assume you know, the O.P. used the wrong nomenclature for the parts he was intending to reference. In referring to the "whole sprocket compensator and chain assembly, he's clearly referring having to remove the ring gear/sprocket/basket assembly along with the chain and compensator. He's mistakenly using the term "hub" to refer to tessentially the entire clutch mechanism as one assembly. You know that. Everyone in this thread knows that... but he didn't call it by the right name, so you harp on that distinction while no-one bothers to explain the distinction to the O.P.
What GRADE are you in?
Go back and look. Which Turbo post was the *helpful* one?
N-Gin posted a perfectly factual statement referencing the basket removal/install and you called him out as if he got it wrong.... he didn't. I don't get ya , man.

masstch

January 16, 2019, 03:15:31 PM #22 Last Edit: January 16, 2019, 04:19:51 PM by masstch
Quote from: PoorUB on January 16, 2019, 02:29:57 PM

Actually, (as I said above) the OP was intending the entire assembly but erroneously calling it by the wrong name.... and he was trashed for it. Way to be "helpful", guys.

turboprop

January 16, 2019, 03:25:03 PM #23 Last Edit: January 16, 2019, 03:56:59 PM by turboprop
Hahahahaha! Cant make this up. Seriously. You're just another online expert regurgitating something you saw online but dont really understand. You should really read more, post less.

PS - I can't stop laughing that you posted that picture of what you thought to be someone bolting the basket on to the back of a hub.

masstch

Well, Darlene, let me explain it to you again, as you clearly  *remain* hung up on the word "hub" and you keep posting it up all over.
I posted a picture (again, notice that your pet word is not mentioned.)
(I'll Go slow for you...) of a billet clutch basket... being bolted to a ring gear assembly.... by way of bolts (supplied by Barnett with their billet basket) through the rivet holes in the ring gear assembly *from the back* of the ring gear assembly, into the billet clutch basket. Did you follow that time?  Notice also, Brainiac, that the post wherein I *quoted you* and posted the picture in response.... your pet word had nothing to do with that post, either.

I can't imagine how helpful your haranguing must be to the O.P.

Let us please try to assist the O.P.?

masstch

January 16, 2019, 04:37:49 PM #25 Last Edit: January 16, 2019, 06:23:27 PM by masstch

Quick answer is no, you can't remove the basket without removing the entire compensator, clutch assembly and chain.
A factory service manual will serve you well, and I would strongly suggest picking one up. The best $100 (or less) you'll ever spend at the dealer.

As you can see, some people get completely juvenile when the wrong terminology is used. I apologize for that. Check out the manual or several online sources to familiarize yourself with the sequence (and the terms). The entire thing that you are evidently calling the "hub" is actually the clutch assembly. The clutch hub is contained within the clutch assembly. You will need to follow the manual instructions to remove the clutch basket/ring gear/sprocket; this piece is called the clutch shell in the HD books. Because these pieces are riveted together at the factory, that is the way that Harley services them. Harley doesn't sell the basket separately from the ring gear, only the whole "shell"  The steps to replace the basket in your assembly will require drilling/punching the rivers to separate the clutch basket from the ring gear. The replacement baskets from Trask, Barnett, Evolution Industries come with bolts and lock tabs for attaching the billet basket to your ring gear. Each of them or their websites can provide the step by step and videos. Yes, you have to pull it *all* out. Also note that you should pick up a new bearing while you're in there.

nosjunkie

Quote from: masstch on January 16, 2019, 03:12:10 PM
Quote from: turboprop on January 16, 2019, 02:24:23 PM

Here ya go.

Actually, Julius, I have quite a clue what I'm talking about and am well versed in the task at hand. The pictures I posted are my broken baskets and the Trask basket is enroute. I will install it as soon as it arrives. I can send you labeled pictures if you'd like. I'm fully aware of the assembly sequence.
The part I can't figure out is exactly in which post you offered ANY help at all to the O.P.
I checked them all. You offered sarcasm and then a sort of dare "oh, yah, let me know if that works" followed by "oh I'd like to see that" all based on the O.P.'s mis-naming of components.
Not a single helpful comment that I could find where you corrected his misunderstanding.
Clearly, as I will assume you know, the O.P. used the wrong nomenclature for the parts he was intending to reference. In referring to the "whole sprocket compensator and chain assembly, he's clearly referring having to remove the ring gear/sprocket/basket assembly along with the chain and compensator. He's mistakenly using the term "hub" to refer to tessentially the entire clutch mechanism as one assembly. You know that. Everyone in this thread knows that... but he didn't call it by the right name, so you harp on that distinction while no-one bothers to explain the distinction to the O.P.
What GRADE are you in?
Go back and look. Which Turbo post was the *helpful* one?
N-Gin posted a perfectly factual statement referencing the basket removal/install and you called him out as if he got it wrong.... he didn't. I don't get ya , man.

Well versed? It's your reply on post #7 that would confuse the OP.. You go on for about a paragraph about bolting the hub/ring gear... Not that well versed IMO.. It's a tech site.. Being clear and accurate is important...
LIVE FREE OR DIE..

masstch

Quote from: nosjunkie on January 16, 2019, 04:50:16 PM
Well versed? It's your reply on post #7 that would confuse the OP.. You go on for about a paragraph about bolting the hub/ring gear... Not that well versed IMO.. It's a tech site.. Being clear and accurate is important...

I couldn't agree more that technical info should absolutely be accurate. **As I Stated I post 15* I erroneously used "hub/ring gear assembly" where I should not have used the sticky word at all. I stated that, way back then. The factory doesn't have a term for the ring gear assembly separate from the basket, they only call the entire thing the "shell".
I used the term I did as an attempt to make more clear to the O.P. That I was referring to what HE was calling the hub. I should have skipped that OR it put it in quotes.
I posted at all only because Ohio HD and N-Gin made helpful posts, factual input. For some reason, Turbo decided to grab the O.P.'s innocent blunder and ride the guy out on a rail.

turboprop

Quote from: masstch on January 16, 2019, 05:12:01 PM
Quote from: nosjunkie on January 16, 2019, 04:50:16 PM

I couldn't agree more that technical info should absolutely be accurate. **As I Stated I post 15* I erroneously used "hub/ring gear assembly" where I should not have used the sticky word at all. I stated that, way back then. The factory doesn't have a term for the ring gear assembly separate from the basket, they only call the entire thing the "shell".
I used the term I did as an attempt to make more clear to the O.P. That I was referring to what HE was calling the hub. I should have skipped that OR it put it in quotes.
I posted at all only because Ohio HD and N-Gin made helpful posts, factual input. For some reason, Turbo decided to grab the O.P.'s innocent blunder and ride the guy out on a rail.

Wrong. You posted a picture of what you claimed was someone bolting a basket onto a clutch hub. YOU clearly dont know what you are talking about. Hint - THIS IS A TECH FORUM!

PoorUB

Quote from: masstch on January 16, 2019, 04:16:45 PM

Assist the OP? This is some funny stuff! The OP's question was answered early on, he figured it out on his own in post #4, the rest is just B.S.!

Seriously, I don't even know why he asked. It would become painfully obvious when he pulled the primary cover.

turboprop

Quote from: PoorUB on January 16, 2019, 06:42:19 PM
Quote from: masstch on January 16, 2019, 04:16:45 PM

Assist the OP? This is some funny stuff! The OP's question was answered early on, he figured it out on his own in post #4, the rest is just B.S.!

Seriously, I don't even know why he asked. It would become painfully obvious when he pulled the primary cover.

Yep.

1FSTRK

Just to be clear now that we all agree this is a tech site.
On a 2016 Streetglide part number 37554-11 is the clutch hub and it does not press in from the back side. The Hub bearing presses in from the back, the hub is pressed in from the front.
"Never hang on to a mistake just because you spent time or money making it."

turboprop

Quote from: 1FSTRK on January 16, 2019, 06:45:49 PM

Just to be clear now that we all agree this is a tech site.
On a 2016 Streetglide part number 37554-11 is the clutch hub and it does not press in from the back side. The Hub bearing presses in from the back, the hub is pressed in from the front.

But they are pressed together, there is no bolting the hub to the basket. That is not in dispute. That guy that posted the picture in support of the BS line not only didn't know, but pushed the issue that he did. Comical.

masstch

Barnett's description claims theres is a direct replacement for the OEM basket

Yes, Barnett sells either the billet basket OR the complete shell. The description surprisingly is a bit odd in that it reads as tho the basket is different in the two items. I would've expected their billet basket in the shell they sell.

masstch

Good grief, Charlie Brown! Look at the screenshot. Can you find the word "hub" in the post?
I didn't say the basket bolted to the hub. I said (again, sigh) the basket bolts to the to the ring gear from the back... of the ring gear.
That's enough internet, today.

Have a happy argument.

bteski

Just Wow all of that arguing over nothing, Pretty straight forward operation to install the basket only solution but the clutch basket has to be removed from the bike.
My friend says having a fast Harley is like being the smartest kid in summer sch

masstch

Fully agree. Installing another one today.

trex

I just replaced my clutch cable with a Barnett, nice and smooth

Heinz

Wow. After reading all the hate and sarcasm in this thread I wonder if it was a mistake to join this site.

Ohio HD

I think it's safe to say there is no hate.

Most of us have known the other members either on line or in person for a while. Guys with motorcycles get grumpy in the winter.   

hbkeith

January 21, 2019, 03:16:08 AM #40 Last Edit: January 21, 2019, 03:20:27 AM by hbkeith
Quote from: Heinz on January 20, 2019, 09:36:22 PM
Wow. After reading all the hate and sarcasm in this thread I wonder if it was a mistake to join this site.
hang in there ,You will learn to wade thru the bullshit and  google searches

PoorUB

Quote from: Heinz on January 20, 2019, 09:36:22 PM

Stick around long enough and your turn will come up! :hyst:

Most of us have been here for quite some time. Most of it is just picking on your brother type harassment!

Kllongbrake

Quote from: masstch on January 19, 2019, 12:33:01 PM
Do you have first hand experience with both the Barnett and the Trask? Do you feel one or the other is a better basket?

dheath9994

I would like to thank everyone who gave me some helpful tips and I'll let you all know how it works out

masstch

Quote from: Kllongbrake on January 21, 2019, 06:54:12 AM
Do you have first hand experience with both the Barnett and the Trask? Do you feel one or the other is a better basket?
I have only done the Trask. I have seen the Barnett (separately not side by side) and they seem virtually identical.... but the Trask is pretty!

bteski

That red is pretty mines just the gold barnett, now you need one of those clarity covers so you can see it.
Cheers
My friend says having a fast Harley is like being the smartest kid in summer sch

motolocopat

Heinz welcome to the site.
Usually doesnt get quiet like this.

Group Hug
MotoLocoPat  2015 FLTRXS, 2013FLHX, 2010FXDF
2006 Ducati S2R1000, 2004 KTM950