April 25, 2024, 08:48:29 PM

News:

Marks on breather assembly, quality control..?

Started by klammer76, January 22, 2019, 10:43:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

klammer76

Doing some top end work on my 2002 FLH. Have had the new, stamped steel breathers in for 20,000 miles and decide to get two rebuild kits from the dealer. Naturally, they don't have the rebuild kits, "didn't know they made them" they say but we do have the complete assembly's for $26.00 a piece. I say order the rebuild kits for $11.00 a piece. Go and pick them up today and find that both kits (sealed in oem bags) have spots that look like rust where the plating appears to not have adhered? Can't feel any rust but really don't want to use these so will have to go back. What is up with the quality control at the moco??

1FSTRK

The QC department was replace with the new "Excuses and Run around" division.

Do you have the part number for the rebuild kits?
"Never hang on to a mistake just because you spent time or money making it."

klammer76

Quote from: 1FSTRK on January 22, 2019, 11:01:28 AM
The QC department was replace with the new "Excuses and Run around" division.

Do you have the part number for the rebuild kits?
26500002. It consists of the plate with the gasket adhered to both sides, fiber filter and umbrella valve. Going to see if they will take two out of a complete kit so I don't have to wit another week. Doubtful that they will. Just p+#$$!! me off.

Pirsch Fire Wagon

Tom

klammer76

Quote from: PIRSCH FIRE WAGON on January 22, 2019, 05:12:09 PM
Made in China
I would have thought the same thing, unfortunately, doesn't appear so..

[attach=0]

poboy

Quote from: klammer76 on January 22, 2019, 07:48:00 PM
Quote from: PIRSCH FIRE WAGON on January 22, 2019, 05:12:09 PM
Made in China
I would have thought the same thing, unfortunately, doesn't appear so..

[attach=0,msg1278327]

Don't look like the bag worked!!!

1FSTRK

No, No, the bag was made in the USA and as you can see the bag is not rusty.
"Never hang on to a mistake just because you spent time or money making it."

rbabos

Probably QC. I remember the days of pissing around with Compensators. There was one ,new in box that was so rusted, we couldn't pull the retainer out of the sprocket. Several more in stock almost as bad.  Demand was high at the time and quality went for a dump. Don't explain a simple breather though. Demand can't be that high for them.
Ron

klammer76

Funny thing is both are like this  :nix: I took the one out of the bag and noticed. Checked the other that is still sealed in it's bag and the same thing. If the dealership was working on a bike I wouldn't be surprised at all if they went ahead and used them.

Norton Commando

The surface rust looks superficial to me. Hit it with some steel wool or better yet wipe it off with some Rust Cure.

Having said that, I agree, you shouldn't have to deal with rusty components.

Jason
Remember, you can sleep in your car, but you can't drive your house.

04 SE Deuce

Bob that's just a little "patina"...could have charged you extra for that.

klammer76

Quote from: 04 SE DEUCE on January 23, 2019, 06:27:12 AM
Bob that's just a little "patina"...could have charged you extra for that.
:SM: So true Rick

klammer76

Went back today and checked one of their complete breather kits. The rust/corrosion was way worse on that one. Covered the whole metal part. As we were looking at it the parts gut noticed two small holes in the bag, checked my two bags and they had the holes also. Obviously the moco uses a corrosion resistant sealed bag then put holes in them so they can get the air out to package. Go figure.

I agree, I can clean it and use them I guess. I certainly would not have used the one in the complete kit.

Hossamania

If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.