News:

Question about big CI engines

Started by harleytq, January 22, 2019, 07:30:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1FSTRK

Quote from: harleytq on January 23, 2019, 12:45:18 PM
Quote from: 1FSTRK on January 23, 2019, 11:33:09 AM
What brand of tuner are you using?
Do you know what Calibration is in the bike?
Its a TTS tuner
Calibration FNM176-04

You should be able to have your tuner adjust it to your liking.
I have both TTS and Power Vision and my local dyno tuner adjusted both my bikes to fix the problem.
"Never hang on to a mistake just because you spent time or money making it."

itsafatboy

January 23, 2019, 07:37:55 PM #26 Last Edit: January 23, 2019, 07:54:24 PM by itsafatboy
Ya not saying one ways wont work all depends on parts working with then , but we had 10 of those SS reed valves sitting in shop and couldn't get 10$ on ebay for them , sorry but  I have experience with the one way valves on my own bike , like I posted earlier , all I mean is when you use vacuum at multiple spots it might be issue , it didn't work for me on mine the head krank vents worked fine , but adding a vent to cam chest caused sumping , and we havn't had luck with the ss read valve mayube since they were made to run with the SS oil pump cam thing they have,  the way I see it is the reed valve is sucking all from crank area on bike if the pump is not setup to scavage that then it can be issue,  maybe their gear drive all in one oil pump works different not sure,  hope you find the issue 

harleytq

Is it just me or do we have 2 threads going on in one here?

harleytq

Quote from: 1FSTRK on January 23, 2019, 06:16:45 PM
Its a TTS tuner
Calibration FNM176-04

I have both TTS and Power Vision and my local dyno tuner adjusted both my bikes to fix the problem.
So is this something I can do at home, and just change some setting?

1FSTRK

Quote from: harleytq on January 23, 2019, 07:46:57 PM
Quote from: 1FSTRK on January 23, 2019, 06:16:45 PM
Its a TTS tuner
Calibration FNM176-04

So is this something I can do at home, and just change some setting?

No matter how i type this is reads like I am trying to be an a$$ about it, I am not.

What you have found is the difference between a tuning device and a tuner. The device gives access to the ecm settings, a tuner is the person that knows how to set them. If you read and follow all the instruction manuals that come with the device you should be able to trial and error your way to the right settings. I personally would rather ride so I payed a tuner to set mine.

I am sure someone here can tell you a quick thing to try or adjust. If you try different base cals, adjust decell spark and fuel, declutch settings and something else I may have missed you will find what effects it most. I think if you are serious about doing your own tuning I would start with getting very familiar with the TTS manuals, it is a powerful device and used properly will make any bike run it's best.

With big or powerful engines the acceleration and deceleration settings are as important as the air fuel and timing when it comes down to having a bike that is a pleasure to ride rather than a handful to control. I would not be look at changing engines or engine parts until I had a good tune on this one.

Don D

An experienced tuner can fix your problem, a shop/person. The problem is likely inherent to the calibration and would present the same way in a smaller engine build also. Changing the calibration and a retune will likely fix the problem.

johnchev89

Are there any down sides to having a tune like that?
Mine does it also, injectors are off till 2000 rpm.

harleytq

1fstrk
I didn't mean that I was tuning it myself, if thats what you though. I was just wondering if it was a quick fix.

So my question is do some of the TTS calibrations do this and some don't?

Don D

harleytq

Quote from: HD Street Performance on January 24, 2019, 10:19:32 AM
Yes, so do harleys.
So if I didn't want it to shut off the injectors, I would have to retune with a new calibration? and is there a calibration that doesn't do this for an 06 ultra?

Don D

I think it would be wise to engage a tuning shop for answers. Some of these things can be verified easily by people that are familiar with the software but others could be opening a can of worms

mrmike

From reading this thread it appears you have had your bike professionally tuned already, if that's the case just bring it back to your Tuner and explain the issue. From what was said here it should be a simple adjustment on his end.

If you haven't had it professionally tuned maybe now is a good time for it.

Mike
I'm not leaving til I have a good time

harpwrench

I don't know if he will but....wouldn't cost anything to ask Steve Cole if he can/will turn on the injectors on decel, on your tuned cal. Doubt he'd just do it for no reason. But if it's making the bike feel unsafe in certain situations then why not. If you get that done then you may have decel popping to deal with. If it's not making your bike feel unsafe but merely bugging you because it's different than before, then I'd just get used to it.

Don D

Quote from: mrmike on January 24, 2019, 12:26:40 PM
From reading this thread it appears you have had your bike professionally tuned already, if that's the case just bring it back to your Tuner and explain the issue. From what was said here it should be a simple adjustment on his end.

Mike
This is not an accessable setting in the software

mrmike

So this is something that would have to be addressed by the manufacturer?

Mike
I'm not leaving til I have a good time

1FSTRK

Quote from: mrmike on January 24, 2019, 02:02:09 PM

Mike

It depends on the brand of tuning device and it's software.
This question might be better addressed in the tuning section so the professional tuners may join in at this point. Personally for a specific bike I would check with his dyno tuner or directly with TTS.

harleytq

Mike
That is what I was told.
Quote from: harpwrench on January 24, 2019, 01:35:00 PM
I don't know if he will but....wouldn't cost anything to ask Steve Cole if he can/will turn on the injectors on decel, on your tuned cal. Doubt he'd just do it for no reason. But if it's making the bike feel unsafe in certain situations then why not. If you get that done then you may have decel popping to deal with. If it's not making your bike feel unsafe but merely bugging you because it's different than before, then I'd just get used to it.
To be honest, it does feel unsafe the way this engine brakes. Its like I bought a performance engine and now I can't really use it, when you come into a turn and let off it just about stops you, like someone is slamming on the rear brake.
I guess I don't know for sure if this is the problem, that is causing the engine braking? Guess thats what some are saying.

Hossamania

Has this bike been tuned by a shop? If so, have you talked with the shop that did the tuning? If not, then you should, to both questions.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

kd

Quote from: harleytq on January 24, 2019, 03:33:33 PM

Mike
That is what I was told.
Quote from: harpwrench on January 24, 2019, 01:35:00 PM
To be honest, it does feel unsafe the way this engine brakes. Its like I bought a performance engine and now I can't really use it, when you come into a turn and let off it just about stops you, like someone is slamming on the rear brake.
I guess I don't know for sure if this is the problem, that is causing the engine braking? Guess thats what some are saying.

This type of decel on an off ramp on a rainy day IS dangerous.  Give Steve a call.  He's a smart guy and will discuss it with you.

My TTS tuned 120 HC at 11:1 DOES NOT do this. 
KD

PoorUB

You could ask right here on AFR and Tuning section and see what pops up.

I am curious to the answer as the tune in my 2016 Limited with a stage 2 103" has severe engine braking. I haven't taken the time to look at the calibration. No need to with 2 feet of snow out side!
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

BVHOG

Quote from: HD Street Performance on January 24, 2019, 01:37:47 PM
Quote from: mrmike on January 24, 2019, 12:26:40 PM

Mike
This is not an accessable setting in the software

At least not on TTS with that particular cal, some of the tuning devices of the early year Delphi bikes (02-07)had cals that shut down the injectors completely on decel, I contribute this in part to the type of headpipe that was used back then with the Y in the rear pipe which would pull air up the left muffler and ignite the fuel in the pipe on decel.  Using a new cal is the "Fix" for this or there is software that can be used with the Power Vision to address this and I know Darren has used this before.  The whole decel injector on/off  adjustment has been beaten to death on the forums for years.  There are many things that go into the workings of this that we don't have access to with a TTS so you can change cals and potentially have a new set of issues.
If you don't have a sense of humor you probably have no sense at all.

harleytq

June 25, 2019, 10:02:52 AM #46 Last Edit: June 25, 2019, 10:55:20 AM by harleytq
I'm not sure if I should post here for an update or start a new thread?
So I finally got around to checking for sumping and drained out around 11oz of oil. I wasn't sure if this might be normal for an S&S 124 so I called the S&S tech line, he said no its not normal it should be around 3-6oz.
This has the 31-6503 oil pump, looks like its integrated into the cam plate or something.
What do you guy's think on the S&S 124 is 11oz not good?
Funny I called S&S back for another question and this guy said 8-10oz is normal for the S&S twin cam engine.

doubletrouble

I would think that if sumping was the root cause of your complaint that you would have other issues as well , i.e. engine temp and poor acceleration ect.  Im thinking that if you explain what you are experiencing to the person who tuned your bike he will be able to make an adjustment to the decell cut , lower the rpm that its activated , simple fix and sometimes over looked.

harleytq

Never heard anything like that, is that something I can do with the TTS? I looked through all the tuning tables and dont see anything like that.

C-Cat

I had a previously good running 124 that started to sump. On tear down there was timken screws sucked into the oil  pump.
124ci. 07 Streetbob 161/145
110ci. '11 Roadglide  129/127