April 24, 2024, 11:30:56 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

110 bolt in CR?

Started by freewayferg, January 27, 2019, 08:21:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

freewayferg

I want to add the extra cubes for my winter project. Already have heads ported and decked with 85cc chamber. Plan on having piston deck height at 0 and .03 thick head gasket.
The venders of the cylinder/piston kit with 3cc piston dome claim this will result in a 10.5 CR. If I did my math correctly it comes out more like 11.25 CR(did I miss something) and using BB calculator 11.22 CR. This setup is for a full dressed Ultra RG so I don't want to go with to high CCP. Why is there such a difference and which do I go by?
Also for a traveling bike(all miles in western states) at what altitude is best to set corrected CR?
I am not stupid, unless I'm just too dumb to know it

Don D

You did everything right. It is not going to be much fun that high with a reasonable cam choice. If you want hot rod then use a cam with a ~46 close and it will work OK. Tune will need to be right on the money. Fans would be wise too. Out of the context of the rest of the parts it is not really possible to dial this in.

freewayferg

Presently have 57h cam, what should I try to bring the CR too for a good performance touring bike?

Don D

Use a KB914C piston. You will need a light hone to bring in the clearance, that is fixed hone with TQ plates not a ball hone

PoorUB

Quote from: freewayferg on January 27, 2019, 08:57:29 AM
Presently have 57h cam, what should I try to bring the CR too for a good performance touring bike?

Andrews 57, between  10.3 to 10.5 CR. I ran them in a 107" at 10.3 and felt they could have handled more, but they will run nicely at 10.3.  I wouldn't run any less than 10.3.

As far as altitude, you need to be considerate of all altitudes you ride in. If you set it up for 2,000 feet when you hit sea level you will probably have a ping monster. I live at 900 feet above sea level and tuned for that elevation as I was rarely at sea level.
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

Don D

OK then mill the heads .007 and use the pistons I suggested then

freewayferg

Thank you both, very helpful and useful info.

FLDavetrain

What's the deck height out of the box? If below deck let's say and w a 0.40 hg you might be close, and if needed shave those 3cc pistons down. Easier this way if the calculations add up right
currently 510ci on tap

Roadflyer

Quote from: HD Street Performance on January 27, 2019, 09:23:17 AM

When using the kb914c pistons in the drop in cylinders, KB mention having to Clearance the case in some instances (there piston is longer than Harleys drop in piston).
What have you found? I'm doing those pistons in a 2016.

FXDBI

Quote from: Roadflyer on January 27, 2019, 07:20:20 PM

When using the kb914c pistons in the drop in cylinders, KB mention having to Clearance the case in some instances (there piston is longer than Harleys drop in piston).
Put a 110 drop on in my 2006 Dyna had to clearance the cases to use the SE Kit with the Mahle Pistons. They are not relieved deep enough the skirts touch in a few places.
Bob

Roadflyer

Quote from: FXDBI on January 27, 2019, 08:59:35 PM

Put a 110 drop on in my 2006 Dyna had to clearance the cases to use the SE Kit with the Mahle Pistons. They are not relieved deep enough the skirts touch in a few places.
Bob

How much and how did you do it?

FXDBI

Quote from: Roadflyer on January 27, 2019, 11:04:08 PM
Quote from: FXDBI on January 27, 2019, 08:59:35 PM

Bob

How much and how did you do it?

I split the cases and bolted a cylinder on each 1/2 bore one at a time. With a straight edge down the bore I relieved all high spots to give .020 clearance in the case using a die grinder. Final check with the cases together and cylinders on, piston can pass thru the cylinder into the case. I don't have a case boring fixture or access to one little money and lots of time, and 45yrs experience working has a millwright.  I did this last year going from 95ci,585es, HQ HVP heads ,FM E-Pipe ,PV tuner to 110ci with same parts and a new take out crank and SE 110 kit. Very happy with how it runs set @ 195 ccp   Bob