March 28, 2024, 11:39:49 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Random Clacking Sound

Started by Moparnut72, January 30, 2019, 05:26:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Moparnut72

What have I done. A few weeks ago I installed Rocker Lockers in my 2017 Slim S. I seem to have a random clacking noise coming from the front rocker box. It only seems to do it at idle or when the engine is under light load under about 2500 rpm. I was carful to make sure the cams were on the base circle when I removed the rocker support plate. As per the instructions I waited 30 minutes before I rotated the engine. Any ideas?
kk
If you find yourself in a fair fight,
You didn't prepare properly.

Hilly13

Lift the lid and take a peek, make sure nothing has come loose, check the pushrods are still straight and not rubbing the top of the tubes, even run it briefly with the lid off if you are game, a few rags tucked here and there, just in case that narrows it down.
Just because its said don't make it so

Moparnut72

Taking a look is my plan at this point. I was looking for input from more experienced people than me. I have read that not finding the base circle or waiting before turning the crank can damage the valve train but there is never an explanation as to what could be damaged.  I did all this but now I am very concerned. I have probably already screwed up my ESP.
kk

Rockout Rocker Products

Quote from: Moparnut72 on January 30, 2019, 05:26:43 PM
What have I done. A few weeks ago I installed Rocker Lockers in my 2017 Slim S. I seem to have a random clacking noise coming from the front rocker box. It only seems to do it at idle or when the engine is under light load under about 2500 rpm. I was carful to make sure the cams were on the base circle when I removed the rocker support plate. As per the instructions I waited 30 minutes before I rotated the engine. Any ideas?
kk
Have you been trying to email me recently by any chance? I have gotten notifications of emails with your name but when I check there's nothing there  :scratch:
If it's random my guess would be a lifter making noise... bleeding down sometimes. One quick check is to run it with the pushrod tubes up or down.... see if any pushrods are loose. You'll loose a little oil but not much.
www.rockout.biz Stop the top end TAPPING!!

Moparnut72

No I haven't. I'll be looking into it tomorrow. Thanks for checking.
kk

les

You mentioned that you installed roller rocker arms.  Typically, the rocker box lids need some clearance ground out from some of the webbing.  Did you do any of that and could the rockers be hitting on the lid?

joe40x

Roller rockers? Where did you get that?

Moparnut72

Quote from: les on January 31, 2019, 06:23:45 AM
You mentioned that you installed roller rocker arms.  Typically, the rocker box lids need some clearance ground out from some of the webbing.  Did you do any of that and could the rockers be hitting on the lid?

No rocker lockers. They lock the rocker shafts in place to keep them from turning and making a clicking sound. Sold by one of our vendors here. His post is just above. A good product to correct a problem that Harley hasn't addressed.
kk

Rockout Rocker Products

TXHogrider

I have a 2016 Low Rider S and 2500 rpm is the rpm range where these SE110 engines like to clatter.  I have heard the same from several other riders with the "S" bikes.  I have not tried any remedy, I just live with it cuz it runs like the devil.

Prostock

By chance did you put aftermarket cams in.  They can create a "clocking" sound at idle from the intake which is perfectly normal.

IronMike113

Quote from: Prostock on January 31, 2019, 12:02:54 PM
By chance did you put aftermarket cams in.  They can create a "clocking" sound at idle from the intake which is perfectly normal.

That's what I was thinking might be hearing it through the open air Cleaner,,,,,,,,  :agree:
2 Bikes and 2 Beemers, that's what I have been told 😳

Moparnut72

Mostly stock bike. I think I have figured it out, I'll report back after a ride this afternoon. I believe it is my fault.    :embarrassed:
kk

fbn ent

It wouldn't be the first or the last time that someone on here messes up  :doh:
'02 FLTRI - 103" / '84 FLH - 88"<br />Hinton, Alberta

92flhtcu

well, then we certainly need to know!  :SM:
Need a bigger garage

Y2KRKNG

Quote from: 92flhtcu on January 31, 2019, 02:46:05 PM
well, then we certainly need to know!  :SM:

It's part of the heeling process.
ATP(TurboHarry)95",Mik45,Branch/Mik "Flowmetric" heads,TW55,T.Header 2-1

Hossamania

If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take away everything you have.

Moparnut72

I just got back from my ride and it is getting worse. I changed all my fluids. I had put a lighter engine oil in the bike because it is hard to start when it is cold. Doesn't want to turn over. I replaced it with the regular stuff, not the problem. The noise is definitely coming from the front rocker box. I will pull the rocker box cover tomorrow.
kk

fbn ent

So you didn't mention if you have adjustable pushrods or not....?

Moparnut72

No, stock pushrods, cams and the whole works.
kk

les

Quote from: joe40x on January 31, 2019, 06:59:53 AM
Roller rockers? Where did you get that?

From not reading the way I should have.  Sorry.

Y2KRKNG

I bet your rocker support plate is loose
ATP(TurboHarry)95",Mik45,Branch/Mik "Flowmetric" heads,TW55,T.Header 2-1

jamminhd2000

Quote from: Y2KRKNG on February 01, 2019, 07:03:38 AM
I bet your rocker support plate is loose
Or breather bolts could be loose....jimmy

Moparnut72

I hope so and kind of what it sounds like. I am sure I tightened the bolts properly but probably not. I am going to tear into it today. I'll see how much gas I can get on the floor, the tank is about half full. I may even put a drain valve in the cross over.
kk

Hossamania

You could try siphoning out most of the fuel, clamp both sides of the hose, cut in the middle, unclamp one at a time to drain, install drain valve as you mention.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take away everything you have.

fbn ent

What works for me on my '02 FL is to block the rear of the tank as high as I can on the (sidestand) and siphon. Then (on the lift or upright) let the rear down and lift block the front up as much as possible. There is very little gas in the crossover when I take an end off and plug the hose and the pipe. All this is after disconnecting the fuel line of course. Took me a long time and a lot of gas fumes to get this right...

Hilly13

Quote from: fbn ent on February 01, 2019, 11:00:17 AM
What works for me on my '02 FL is to block the rear of the tank as high as I can on the (sidestand) and siphon. Then (on the lift or upright) let the rear down and lift block the front up as much as possible. There is very little gas in the crossover when I take an end off and plug the hose and the pipe. All this is after disconnecting the fuel line of course. Took me a long time and a lot of gas fumes to get this right...
That is so simple yet such a good method, will be doing that from now on, cheers.

Moparnut72

I got it apart and have found nothing wrong. Everything was tight and I found no witness marks anywhere. I then went ahead and pulled the lifters. At first I was concerned as one of them had a "frosted" roller. The manual says this is ok and from what I can see the cam lobe is good. The manual says to make sure the plunger is up against the C clip. They are. The manual then says to pump the plunger. I can't move either one of them. How much force is required to do this? I am thinking I should run to Reno to get new ones. Any suggestions?
kk

Moparnut72

Ok, I got it figured out. The plunger was locked, hydraulically somehow. I took them apart and freed them up and they are now functioning properly. I probably wasn't on the base circle when the rocker plate was installed. Some things are kind of hard to do when you are by yourself. I had my wife watch the rocker arms while I turned the back wheel. She wasn't real sure about what I wanted. Anyway it is going back together now. Should be just fine. Thanks guys. I appreciate your help. Always good advice here.
kk

Moparnut72

All better. Engine is really quiet now especially with the Rockouts. Thanks all.
kk

Ajayrk

AJ

Hilly13

I'm pleased for you that it has turned out ok, I still don't understand the clacking though, if everything was down tight with stock pushrods then I can't see what was up?

Chippitt68

February 01, 2019, 04:52:07 PM #32 Last Edit: February 01, 2019, 10:37:07 PM by FSG
I had a lifter that did that. Did you clean them? What did the inside look like? Mine had shite inside and that's why it stuck. This is why mine was sticking

[attach=0,msg1280389]

Chippitt68

Quote from: Hilly13 on February 01, 2019, 04:47:42 PM
I'm pleased for you that it has turned out ok, I still don't understand the clacking though, if everything was down tight with stock pushrods then I can't see what was up?
My guess, in my case, is that the plunger bottomed out, the grit got into lifter and seized the plunger. Lash

Hilly13

Quote from: Chippitt68 on February 01, 2019, 04:54:16 PM
Quote from: Hilly13 on February 01, 2019, 04:47:42 PM
My guess, in my case, is that the plunger bottomed out, the grit got into lifter and seized the plunger. Lash
Yep that could be it, if his wasn't on the base circle when he tightened the rocker gear down, bit lucky really if that was it.
No harm done and that's a good thing.
OP, the Rock-Outs are good aye  :up:

Rockout Rocker Products

Quote from: Moparnut72 on February 01, 2019, 04:19:39 PM
All better. Engine is really quiet now especially with the Rockouts. Thanks all.
kk

Quote from: Hilly13 on February 01, 2019, 05:03:35 PM

OP, the Rock-Outs are good aye  :up:
:beer: :beer: Thanks guys, glad everything worked out

DTTJGlide

I would have replaced the lifters, they will only get worse & then could possibly take out the cam & more. Just because MOCO says there OK, they also sat .012 crank runout is OK :emoGroan:

FSG

...   At first I was concerned as one of them had a "frosted" roller. The manual says this is ok and from what I can see the cam lobe is good.

they are IMO the dreaded 18538-99C lifters, crap, I'd be getting in touch with WFOLarry for a set of lifters

Quote from: DTTJGlide on February 01, 2019, 09:13:25 PM
I would have replaced the lifters, they will only get worse & then could possibly take out the cam & more. Just because MOCO says there OK, they also sat .012 crank runout is OK :emoGroan:

:agree:

Moparnut72

It's in the plan. I just wanted to get the bike back on the road for now.
kk