April 16, 2024, 12:06:31 PM

News:

S&S Lifters

Started by fbn ent, February 01, 2019, 07:03:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fbn ent

Is there an alternative set for S&S lifters with limiters? Bled the oil out as per instructions. Loosen 1 turn after some resistance to turning with your fingers setting sure lets them rattle! 5 minutes and no change....  :scratch:  I remember having issues with them the last time I was in there too.
'02 FLTRI - 103" / '84 FLH - 88"<br />Hinton, Alberta

Ohio HD

Any time I've adjusted TC lifters with limiters they take a bit to get quiet. Colder weather will lengthen that time somewhat. That's with S&S or HD B's with limiters. I go three to four flats away from bottom. 

fbn ent

February 01, 2019, 08:54:25 PM #2 Last Edit: February 01, 2019, 08:59:19 PM by fbn ent
Thanks Ohio. Bottom being where you start to push on the valve? I guess that is what this is saying...

[attach=0,msg1280437]

That is coming from the valve being open to push the oil out. They call for six but four may be better.
Like I said, I remember having an issue but can't remember what I did to get around it.

75* in the shop....kinda cool outside though.

Ohio HD

Right, you have to crank to the bottom maybe a few times of the lifters have oil in them, let them bleed down. Then once they no longer bleed off, back off the adjuster to where you want it, lock it down. 

prodrag1320

if you don't like the limiters,take them out.most builds don't need them anyway

kd

I use about 1 flat from contact with excellent results. Actually not much different than adjusting solids. When the barrels get hot the clearance grows.
KD

fbn ent

WTH? You're on a cruise!! Thanks kd  :up:  You too Ohio. Prodrag, I am considering that. Mine is only a mild build.

wfolarry

Get them adjusted properly & you'll forget they're even in there. Every time I hear somebody has a problem with limiters 99% of the time it's because they adjusted them wrong.

turboprop

Quote from: wfolarry on February 02, 2019, 06:39:28 AM
Get them adjusted properly & you'll forget they're even in there. Every time I hear somebody has a problem with limiters 99% of the time it's because they adjusted them wrong.

Have heard at least one member of this page say had limiters in their engines but removed them. Why would someone go through the effort of tearing down to remove the limiters, what am I missing here?
'We' like this' - Said by the one man operation.

IronButt70

Quote from: turboprop on February 02, 2019, 07:37:37 AM

Have heard at least one member of this page say had limiters in their engines but removed them. Why would someone go through the effort of tearing down to remove the limiters, what am I missing here?
I'm guessing winter boredom has set in.  :chop:
No one else put you on the road you're on. It's your own asphalt.

Chippitt68

How far of the bottom for your lifters? 2313's

FSG

:agree:

kd

Quote from: turboprop on February 02, 2019, 07:37:37 AM

That was No Cents ...... he's 8-up and someone gave the keys to his tool box back to him.   :hyst: :hyst:
KD

No Cents

...if you are talking about me...I did it for a reason and I'll leave it at that.
08 FLHX my grocery getter, 124ci, wfolarry 110" heads, Burns pipe, 158/152 sae

IronMike113

Quote from: No Cents on February 02, 2019, 11:47:47 AM
  ...if you are talking about me...I did it for a reason and I'll leave it at that.

Ray you Don't need to explain your (8up issues) with these guys,,,,,,,,,   :hyst:  :hyst:

2 Bikes and 2 Beemers, that's what I have been told 😳

No Cents

Quote from: IRONMIKE113 on February 02, 2019, 12:02:33 PM

Ray you Don't need to explain your (8up issues) with these guys,,,,,,,,,   :hyst:  :hyst:

I know Mike.  :wink:
I'm keeping all secrets to myself.   :hyst:
08 FLHX my grocery getter, 124ci, wfolarry 110" heads, Burns pipe, 158/152 sae

1workinman

Quote from: No Cents on February 02, 2019, 12:16:47 PM
Quote from: IRONMIKE113 on February 02, 2019, 12:02:33 PM

I know Mike.  :wink:
I'm keeping all secrets to myself.   :hyst:
Ray I can respect that , I given some thought to giving the limiter a try as I did not think there was a down side . A while back I watched a video , engine masters I think and they were running back to back test on camshafts and the solid made more horse power than the hydraulic , I always preferred solid or roller solid lifters back in the day , the reason given was the solid did performed better at high rpms . I have wondered if the limiters would do the same thing or close , No idea , Not bleeding off and having hard starts is a nice thing also. I don't have hard starts but if there is no down side . One thing for sure I not going to run a lifter till failure , not sure how may miles are good enough but lifters are cheap compared to a engine

Moparnut72

I have some questions. I hope they are not stupid or explained elsewhere. In another thread I had a noise problem, caused by my own screw up. Anyway I am planning on replacing my lifters at some point. I went to Larry's site and looked at his products. First question, do travel limiters kind of turn the lifters into kind of a modified solid lifter suitable for high RPM engines?

He also sells standard slow bleed down. What is the reason for a slow bleed down lifter?

Lastly what lifters would you guys recommend for a basically stock 110?

I have read that the stock MoCo lifters aren't that great and with what mine did I am going to replace them. Thanks in advance.
kk
If you find yourself in a fair fight,
You didn't prepare properly.

Ohio HD

Limiters must be used with adjustable push rods. So unless you plan to convert to adjustable push rods, you can't use limiters. For your purposes you really won't miss limiters, and just using a good grade of lifter will be all you really need. Slow bleed units are a good upgrade. Just helps insure they don't bleed off when the motor is off, or at higher RPM's. 

Barrett

I guess I got lucky with mine. I ran stock p'rods with the V Thunder 875's.

Moparnut72

Thanks Ohio. I appreciate your help.
kk
If you find yourself in a fair fight,
You didn't prepare properly.

Heinz

I also have a question about S&S lifters with limiters. I think it's consistent with the OP's initial concerns so I hope he doesn't think I'm hijacking his thread. Limiters apparently help with high RPMs and easy starting since they don't drain all the way down. My question is about easy starting. I'm getting a new S&S 124 motor that has the 585 EZ start cams without compression release in the heads. The engine comes with the S&S premium lifters without limiters and their standard adjustable pushrods. Would it help with starting and performance to put the premium lifters in with limiters?

wfolarry

Quote from: Moparnut72 on February 03, 2019, 11:45:51 AM
I have some questions. I hope they are not stupid or explained elsewhere. In another thread I had a noise problem, caused by my own screw up. Anyway I am planning on replacing my lifters at some point. I went to Larry's site and looked at his products. First question, do travel limiters kind of turn the lifters into kind of a modified solid lifter suitable for high RPM engines?

He also sells standard slow bleed down. What is the reason for a slow bleed down lifter?

Lastly what lifters would you guys recommend for a basically stock 110?

I have read that the stock MoCo lifters aren't that great and with what mine did I am going to replace them. Thanks in advance.
kk

Slow bleed down lifters are fit to a tighter tolerance. .0002 Stock lifters are .0006

With the springs they use on the 110 heads a slow leakdown lifter would work to your advantage.

Quote from: Heinz on February 03, 2019, 10:01:55 PM
I also have a question about S&S lifters with limiters. I think it's consistent with the OP's initial concerns so I hope he doesn't think I'm hijacking his thread. Limiters apparently help with high RPMs and easy starting since they don't drain all the way down. My question is about easy starting. I'm getting a new S&S 124 motor that has the 585 EZ start cams without compression release in the heads. The engine comes with the S&S premium lifters without limiters and their standard adjustable pushrods. Would it help with starting and performance to put the premium lifters in with limiters?

They won't hurt. The EZ start cams are opening the valve at cranking speeds so if a lifter has bled down they won't be as effective.

pwmorris

This^^^^^^^^^^^^
I also initially adjusted mine wrong due to running EZ's (rattle, rattle rattle after getting hot), and it took a few adjustments to dial them in. Once set, (been running them for years), they are perfect, and, other then Jesel, the Premiums with limiters are the best lifters I have ever run.

fbn ent

Well, the rest of my story.....Decided to pull the Limiters just to get the damn thing going. First one is jammed.. :crook:..Installed new ones without the limiters. Ran stock before and had no issues in many miles and changed them for those premiums w/limiters....quiet now with new rockers, shafts and Rockouts.

Rockout Rocker Products

Quote from: fbn ent on February 07, 2019, 06:41:41 PM
Well, the rest of my story.....Decided to pull the Limiters just to get the damn thing going. First one is jammed.. :crook: ..Installed new ones without the limiters. Ran stock before and had no issues in many miles and changed them for those premiums w/limiters....quiet now with new rockers, shafts and Rockouts.
:beer: :beer:
www.rockout.biz Stop the top end TAPPING!!