March 29, 2024, 03:14:58 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

06 FLHTCUI tensioner upgrade

Started by thumpr54, February 02, 2019, 11:05:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

thumpr54

Howdy.....I'm trying to help a friend here to decide best option. They weren't aware of checking the cam chain tensioners and his wife's Softtail came apart on the road.......so they're wanting to inspect his 06 Ultra that they bought last year....has almost 35K miles and they really don't know anything about whether it's ever been apart or not. I'm thinking to pull the cover and have a look before deciding much...could always just replace the shoes... but in upgrading to hydraulic tensioners....I'm thinking the 06 would have mechanical tensioners if it's never been apart....conversion requires replacement of the cam plate ?  ...or is there a lower cost, middle ground, upgrade to hydraulic ?

Probably be a couple weeks before we get to it but I just confirmed year/model/mileage so I'm trying to do some research. I know inner bearings can be upgraded also and if it's got stock cams....can do lots in there, I suppose....if yer gonna keep it and ride it......
growing old is mandatory-growing up is optional
355 AMS(TAC)DMAFB 73-76 VFW6774

CndUltra88

1999-2006 SE Cam Plate/Oil Pump upgrade for stock cams.
2007 and up went to a bushing in place of cam bearing (inner) and use a different cam of course (larger end)
I did the SE Cam Plate back in 2008/09 iirc and never looked back at the spring tension cam shoes.
I would have been on the third set back then and this was the latest and greatest from Mother HD.
I bought most parts for the cam chest for preventative, but traded the bike for an 2011 Road Glide before going in to the cam chest.
Sorry, not a technical guy here  :oil: just passing on my personal :baby: experience.
Rob
Infantryman Terry Street
End of Tour April,4,2008 Panjwayi district Afghanistan

aussie123

The most economic freshen up of cam chest on a 88 twin cam would be,,,

1. Replace with new Spring tensioners . (you can buy the pads only to lower the cost).
2. Replace outer bearings, (on cam plate). If you dont have tools , go to a  workshop and remove and install bearings, plus cams in cam plate).
3. Replace inner cam bearings , (part no B148).
4. Check oil pump , (should be good ).
5. I would cut pushrods and replace with adjustables .
6. Replace lifters.
7. New gaskets and O/rings .

If you want to replace old cam plate and upgrade to hydraulic tensioners etc ,, approx $4 -500 in extra parts .....

thumpr54

OK...mother nature finally loosened her grip on us and we got this thing in this past weekend and got it apart...and...I got to visit some with the guy. As stated in OP he just got it last summer...has almost 35K and he doesn't know anything about it's history. It appears to be in pretty decent shape. It also has a more free flowing intake than the stock setup(according to the service manual) and Vance and Hines slip-ons that are showing a little heat discoloration mostly on the right side. Is my suspicion reasonable that this discoloration may be due to someone doing the intake and exhaust for a stage one and didn't change the tune ?    Something else I learned is he previously had a 08? Road King with a 110 so he's gone from a little lighter bike with the 110 to a heavier bike with a stock? 88. And in my research I've come up with a question for the experts here....it's an injected bike...but no O2 sensors...so...in order to tune it (I'm a little familiar with the TTS tuner on my newer scooters)...how would the tuning work...V-Tune....if there's no O2 sensors for feedback ?.....or is it just a matter of loading an appropriate file for his changes....he's considering replacing the cams too........the tensioners look like they may have been changed...the outer looks almost new and the inner is barely worn. I'd think at 35K it would show more wear if it had original shoes. OK...that's all for now.....Thanx, Guys for letting me pick your brains.....it'd be slim pickin' on mine..... :smiled:

wolf_59

with TTS you can add O2 sensors and wire them in on 04-06 bikes instructions are in the TTS tuning guide, although the 04 does require the ecm to be upgraded, then you can use a 176 calibration and VTune normally, Also TTS makes a GREEN dongle that allows the use of broad band O2 sensors

hbkeith

Mattbastard

Quote from: hbkeith on March 27, 2019, 07:55:39 AM
Quote from: aussie123 on February 03, 2019, 05:08:24 PM

5. I would cut pushrods and replace with adjustables .

why

So you don't have to pull your rocker boxes to allow for cam box maintenance. Just raise the pushrod tubes and take the preload out of the pushrods. 

Trev T

07-16 used cam plate complete with a set of andrews N cams, new lifters and do not look back. 500.00 in parts and enjoy the new power and reliability. A good dyno tune with a quality device (TTS/Technoresearch etc.) have done a few for friends and always a winner.

thumpr54

OK...can kinda see here the discoloration on the right exhaust...no one replied(or asked for pix..;-) but I'm kinda suspecting that someone did a stage one and didn't tune so possibly too lean running hot enuf to overheat a little ?

rigidthumper

Or went to Daytona/Sturgis and sat in stop n go traffic...
Ignorance is bliss, and accuracy expensive. How much of either can you afford?