April 19, 2024, 12:43:52 AM

News:

Normal noise from primary after upgrades?

Started by Mick0311, February 14, 2019, 04:43:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mick0311

Since I'm snowed in from riding the bike, I decided to upgrade the primary components.
Bandit Clutch, Vulcan compensator eliminator and their manual chain adjuster.
Bandit recommends only using 14 ozs of Spectro Gold 80 vs Harleys rec of 34 ozs.

Is the noise coming from the primary indicative of going to a sold sprocket? It's quite noticeable over the stock compensator.
Does the fluid level have anything to do with it?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rb_l_Pxx8ow&feature=youtu.be
2015 Road Glide Special

koko3052

WOW!.... way too noisy!  :wtf:
1- 20 oz. difference in lube is way too much difference. Keep the lube at a level so the chain can pick it up.....or to the bottom of the teeth viewing from the cover.
2- did you mean "solid" sprocket over "sold"???
Yes that will make a difference also.
Sounds like the chain is hitting the case....you will be able to see that if you tear it down enough. :cry:

Mick0311

Solid, not sold.  :embarrassed:

I sent an email off to Bandit just to clarify what they recommend for fluid amount.
I figured I'd be tearing the cover off again to see what's going on.
I had 5/8" freeplay in the chain for final adjustment.
2015 Road Glide Special

Ohio HD

Did you check the front to rear sprocket alignment?

itsafatboy

you can add a little more fluid , I run bandit and add to bottom of chain ,

Mick0311

Alignment was good.
I'm going to pop off the cover tonight and see if there are any witness marks where there shouldn't be just to be safe.
2015 Road Glide Special

PoorUB

Rotate the engins and check for tight or loose spots in the chain while you have it open.

All new components can be a bit noisy at first.
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

IronMike113

Wow that's really is noisy,Like posted earlier,The cover removal is inevitable,,,,,,,,,, :emoGroan:
2 Bikes and 2 Beemers, that's what I have been told 😳

peckerwood

i have big noise also   coming from my comp. sprocket , i replaced it but still noisy , whats the diff. if i just fun a solid sprocket , what can i expect?  :scratch:

rageglide

It's the Bandit clutch.  I had the exact same racket when I went to a Bandit.  I am using the latest SE compensator sprocket.  Initially I put in ATF and it was pretty horrendous.  Drained that and added a full qt of Belray Gearsaver 75W and it's back to normal and quiet.   

peckerwood

i'm running a T.P.P. Variable Pressure Clutch, everything fine except that knocking noise, does bigger   horse power  motors increase that  problem

Mick0311

Popped off the cover and saw no witness marks anywhere that the chain or anything else is rubbing.
Went through and readjusted the chain. Waiting on Amazon to deliver another qt of the spectro gold 80 tomorrow.
I'll add more than the recommended 14 ozs and see what happens.

I did notice that the oil I drained was pretty dark with a silver tint to it. Quite a bit of metal glitter in the oil too.
No big chunks so I'm chalking it up to just new metal on metal wearing in.
2015 Road Glide Special

sfmichael

14oz sounds too low but I'm no expert

I usually run a qt although I've known some techs that leaned towards less (+/- 24oz)

Colorado Springs, CO.

kd

Is there any contact with the inside of the primary at the clutch area or derby screws?  Try running it without the primary cover on while you wait for the oil.
KD

smoserx1

Mick0311

Quote from: kd on February 17, 2019, 05:00:22 AM
Is there any contact with the inside of the primary at the clutch area or derby screws?  Try running it without the primary cover on while you wait for the oil.

Funny you ask that. I was thinking about this waiting to fall asleep and decided to remove the clutch and just double check what's behind there. I also want to just double check the clutch basket/ shell too.
2015 Road Glide Special

Mick0311

February 17, 2019, 09:35:32 AM #16 Last Edit: February 17, 2019, 09:50:03 AM by Mick0311
Found the noise.
Not sure why it's rubbing in there. I'm thinking it has to do with the stack height of the shell/ hub.
2015 Road Glide Special

TAD

Inner primary bearing race has moved inward

smoserx1

QuoteInner primary bearing race has moved inward

Isn't the clutch hub supposed to quit moving when the nut is fully tightened?  I thought the shoulder where the threads on the mainshaft end and the splines began  controlled how far inward it could go.  Could be wrong, but I had a race walk way inward and the clutch did not go with it.

Coyote

Mick0311

The race is a different animal that I need to fix now. Don't see where it affects stack height.
2015 Road Glide Special

Mick0311

Since the inner race is a separate piece from the ipb, does anyone have a picture of how it normally sits on the input shaft?
What is the tolerance for too far in or out?
2015 Road Glide Special

Ohio HD

Mick0311

2015 Road Glide Special

Coyote

Push the race on until there is just enough room left to get the removal tool behind it. 1/8" or so I'd guess but I just use the removal tool as a guide when I press them on. It's not real critical though.