March 19, 2024, 12:24:19 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Tuner questions

Started by Rob L, April 12, 2019, 05:19:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rob L

I was using the V&H FP3 with the stock motor in my 09 Road Glide. The bike ran great considering it was bone stock. Fast forward. I just did a S&S 124 motor swap and got in touch with V&H to see if they would be able to do something for me regarding a base MAP for my new engine because I didn't want to run it without anything at all. With the MAP they set me up with I have about 250 miles on it and the bike runs really well. It is running rich but I didn't want it lean. My question is, in your opinions, what tuner would be the best bang for the buck. I will eventually get it dynoed when I recoup some of the money I just spent on the bike but for the time being I want it to be reliable and not explode on me lol. Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Rsw

IMHO you should have never ran the bike without getting it properly tuned that is the most important part of the build

Ohio HD

Rob L

Yeah I dont plan on keeping the FP3 that's why I'm looking for advice on a better alternative

NHBagger

Talk to the shop where you plan on having it dyno tuned.

Rockout Rocker Products

Quote from: NHBAGGER on April 13, 2019, 07:06:32 AM
Talk to the shop where you plan on having it dyno tuned.
:agree: Some shops will only tune with one brand of tuner.
www.rockout.biz Stop the top end TAPPING!!

Paniolo

Quote from: Rob L on April 13, 2019, 06:56:12 AM
Yeah I dont plan on keeping the FP3 that's why I'm looking for advice on a better alternative

TTS Mastertune.
Life can only be lived in the present moment.

Rob L

Quote from: Paniolo on April 13, 2019, 07:19:42 AM

TTS Mastertune.
whats the deal with this mastertune. is it a user friendly tuner.

Hossamania

April 14, 2019, 02:22:05 PM #8 Last Edit: April 14, 2019, 02:26:46 PM by Hossamania
The deal is that it is a very thorough tuner. It isn't necessarily user friendly out of the box, there is a learning curve.
Power Vision tuners are also very popular, but again, a learning curve.
What is your experience with tuning?
As mentioned, talk to your tuner about his choice.
As also mentioned, no way I would have run a new motor on a canned map without some way to monitor what's going on with the motor and tune.
Running too rich isn't necessarily better than running too lean. Both conditions do the motor no favors.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take away everything you have.

Ohio HD

See reply number 4.

Why spend so much on a crate motor, then let it run by chance without proper tuning?

PoorUB

Quote from: Rob L on April 14, 2019, 01:56:01 PM
Quote from: Paniolo on April 13, 2019, 07:19:42 AM

TTS Mastertune.
whats the deal with this mastertune. is it a user friendly tuner.

Depending on your skill level. If you know noting about tuning, fuel ratios, spark timing, any tuning device will make you think. I grew up around engine and have been messing with TTS tuners on my bikes for about 8 years and I still have trouble once in a while. The worst thing abut any tuning device is there is a lot to learn. If you are going to street tune you can get close pretty quickly, but the more you tune, the more you realize that there is a ton of tuning tables to adjust. You can spend a couple days a month all summer devoted to tuning and probably still not have your engine tuned right. It is not that it is hard to tune, more that there is so much to learn. If you have patience and like to do stuff yourself then it can be fun. If you little time or patience, pay some one to tune!
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

kd

If you can get in with a known tuner with a good reputation for perfection it will be money well spent.
KD

Rob L

As far as the FP3 I'm currently using, it's not really a canned map. I called V&H and was on the phone with him for over an hour getting it as close to correct as it can be with that FP3. I only put about 250 miles on it with that FP3 and it does run really good. I'm not too concerned about using it for the time being as I am replacing it. The tuner/dyno guy I'm going to use recommends the Thundermax tuner. He told me once he gets the base map in for my bike he said he can tweak it accordingly and he said it constantly tunes from that point on regardless of riding conditions. I know a few guys that used him and say he's pretty straight forward guy. On my way out of his shop I spoke with one of his other customers who actually did the same motor but in a different bike and used the Thundermax and he said it was a night and day difference between the Thundermax and what he used prior. So I guess I'm looking at buying a Thundermax

scott7d

I didn't read through all of the posts, but I'd try to avoid the "bang for the buck" mindset. These bikes are expensive and that 124" was expensive. I wouldn't start pinching pennies when it's time for the most important aspect.....making the bike run correctly. Its unbelievable how many people have endless budgets on parts then want to skimp on the tune.

I'm not criticizing you although it looks like it. I respect the fact you are doing research on the correct path forward!
Scott Matlock - Bloomington, IN
Iron Butt Rider #72408 - Facebook: The Hoosier Cruiser

Rob L

Quote from: scott7d on April 15, 2019, 08:32:16 PM
I didn't read through all of the posts, but I'd try to avoid the "bang for the buck" mindset. These bikes are expensive and that 124" was expensive. I wouldn't start pinching pennies when it's time for the most important aspect.....making the bike run correctly. Its unbelievable how many people have endless budgets on parts then want to skimp on the tune.

I'm not criticizing you although it looks like it. I respect the fact you are doing research on the correct path forward!
not really pinching pennies I just want to get a good one, one time. I'm going to be going with the thundermax as my dyno guy recommends it