April 24, 2024, 05:58:41 PM

News:

Advance unit problem

Started by crock, May 20, 2019, 04:58:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

crock

Trying to keep a long story short, The old girl was running a little "funkie" a couple weeks ago. I though "points maybe" Installed new points and condenser then gaped em and tried to static time it. That's when the hair pulling started. COULD NOT get it static timed to save my butt. Finally just set em in the middle of the slot and start it. When it started (Finally) I could not get the timing set slower than about 50'. After 2 days of jacking around found the roll pin that locates the advance unit to the cam was sheared. WTH. Has an one else  here ever had this happen?   :banghead:
Crock

Ohio HD

I've seen a lot of issues with the advance unit. Anytime I have my hands on the points, the advance unit comes out for inspection and some grease.

Burnout

Advance units are a PITA, a maintenance nightmare.

Then after you take it off to service it, you have to re-center it.

I hates them, electronics are my answer.
They don't call me Ironhead Rick just because I'm "hard headed"

Chopper75

I had an issue with the weight springs busting and the bolt sheering off on my Ironhead. Went with a Dyna S and haven't had a problem since. The good thing about the Dyna S is you can carry a spare set of points with you and easily swap them out on the side of the road if need be. My shovel came with an Ultima ignition which is full electronic. That thing goes out...your stranded.

Hillside Motorcycle

Nothing wrong with a mechanical advancer......as long as it is maintained.
Otto Knowbetter sez, "Even a fish wouldn't get caught if he kept his mouth shut"

crock

Quote from: Hillside Motorcycle on May 21, 2019, 03:13:03 AM
Nothing wrong with a mechanical advancer......as long as it is maintained.

I agree wholeheartedly. Had electronic on this bike and it took a dump and done! Don't mind the whole maintenance thing or I wouldn't be on a shovel. Just wondering if anyone had ever seen that dam little pin sheared before.
Crock

76shuvlinoff

Well then I'm not going to mention I've ran the same Dynatek 2000i in my 76 since 04. Nope not gonna jinx myself there...

:wink:
Critics are men who watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors.
 - Ernest Hemingway

JW113

But the Dyna S uses the same mechanical advance unit too. All it does is get rid of the points, not the advance function.

-JW
2004 FLHRS   1977 FLH Shovelhead  1992 FLSTC
1945 Indian Chief   1978 XL Bobber

Burnout

Cracks me up, when Dyna-S owners say they have electronic ignition!   :sheep:

bump

I have ran points ever since the original electronic quit working. Points setup was a lot cheaper that the electronic so went with that. Only time I had trouble with points was after the advance unit broke and took out the bolt that holds the advance in place. Now I check the advance unit every so often and change it about every 10 years. New advance unit is about 50 bucks and electronic is about 300.

dusty1

I haven't sheared it off (more like wore off) . Also broken a spring on a different occasion. As long as you do regular maintenance and inspect them, you wont have a problem. I carry a spare in my saddlebags just because

Burnout

Random sparks courtesy of your centrifugal advance mech....

Hillside Motorcycle

Quote from: JW113 on May 21, 2019, 03:01:56 PM
But the Dyna S uses the same mechanical advance unit too. All it does is get rid of the points, not the advance function.

The Dyna S units are rugged, just need to keep the advancer lubed.

-JW
Otto Knowbetter sez, "Even a fish wouldn't get caught if he kept his mouth shut"

dirtymike

Yea I,ve sheared a few of them. Got to lube them often. If you aint got a fire breather points and centrifugal advance mechanism will serve you well. maintenance is the key. Dirty

Burnout

I would not say "serve you well", they will "work" or "get you by".

Motor life is extended by proper ignition events.
By Proper I mean making each ignition event the same and at the optimal time.

A fire breather will run on points just as well as a non fire breather.
It will just eat itself up faster.

In the long run an electronic ignition will make the motor last longer and take more abuse without eating itself up.
So in the long run an EI is cheaper. A hotter spark will also make more power and provide better mileage.

dirtymike

say that three time fast sitting on the side of the road.

Burnout

I've been riding many many years, and I have NEVER been left beside the road by an Electronic Ignition abandoning ship.

I cannot say that about points or the advance mechanism.

JW113

I wish I could say that. Been stranded more than a handful of times, the last being with my Shovelhead, right in the parking lot of my local indie shop. Called the wife, she brought me some tools and the stock points plate and advancer. It's been in there ever since, narry a problem. I have electronic ignition in three of my bikes, and points in two. I can't say at this point any of them is more reliable than the other. What ever works for ya, use it I say.

-JW
2004 FLHRS   1977 FLH Shovelhead  1992 FLSTC
1945 Indian Chief   1978 XL Bobber

dirtymike

Been riding shovelheads since 1973. Hell i even use castrol 20w50 without a cooler in summer ,thug bitch just chugging along. aint bad for 50000+ miles.