April 25, 2024, 01:16:52 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Thundermax Help Needed

Started by Vision, March 25, 2019, 10:05:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vision

Found out that my ACRs on my SE heads are not being triggered by my Thiundermax on my 2018 Road Glide Special 124 although set to enabled on the Thundermax Software.  Firmware was recently updated. With the Stock ECM,  I can definitely hear the ACRs click when turning on the run switch   I can not hear them activate when the Thundermax is installed. 

Thunder max response :
"If you are looking to hear a click or sound from the ACR's when you turn on the switch this will not happen.  You can hear if the automatic compression releases are working when you attempt to start the bike.  You should be able to hear the sound of the compression escaping before it fires...

If the compression releases were turned off in the TMax you would also be getting a check engine light. "

Without the ACRS activating I'm afraid I will ruin a new starter being installed as a result.   I am not getting an error code.   I don't understand why I would hear a difference in the ACR activating using the two ECMs .  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

PoorUB

The factory ECM and perhaps the Thundermax will cycle the compression releases while the engine is turning over for starting.

The only definite way I know is to varify voltage to the compression releases, or unplug them and crank the engine over, then plug them back in. I would use a compression gauge to confirm that the compression reading is lower with the releases plugged in.
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

Vision

Thanks PoorUB,

Obviiosly I'm a little over my head here.  Unfortunately there aren't any dealerships in my area that work with  Thundermax.  I will need to find some local help who can check the conpressionnas suggested.

PoorUB

You have it at a Harley shop right now, don't  you? Ask them to varify the compression, plugged in and unplugged.  Simple to do, they might have to loosen the front bolts on the tank, remove the rear bolt and lift the tank to reach the connections right behind the air cleaner,  or pull the air cleaner to reach them. Compression  needs to ge checked with the throttle  held open with a screwdriver handle or something  similar.
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

Vision

I will ask them to do that!  Thank you. 

To The Max

Try checking comp. release delay in basic settings. mine was set at two. good luck. Max

spunky_man

max and vision, the setting max was talking about is how many revolutions the engine does before the comp. release close. setting is 0-4.
the correct setting for the comp. release open closed is in the same column but further down the list, comp. release control and can only be set to o or 1 (off or on).
thanks