March 29, 2024, 02:02:51 AM

News:

124 S&S tune question

Started by Heinz, June 18, 2019, 09:20:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Heinz

I recently installed a 124 S&S motor in my 2010 Ultra Classic. I have a good base map and I've done a few data collection runs and V tuning with TTS mastertune. I'm getting ready to have it professionally tuned and I live in Salt Lake at 4500 feet elevation where I ride most of the time and even higher when I ride in the mountains which is quite often. I was recommended a really good tuner in Saint Paul Minnesota where the elevation is 870 feet elevation. I am here now in Minnesota with the bike visiting family and scheduled to have it tuned in a few days. My question is this: is there any downside to having it tuned at a much lower elevation than where I ride most of the time? Or am I better off finding a good tuner at a higher elevation close to where I live and ride?

BVHOG

I have tuned many bikes that have gone back to altitude with no issues. I have also done my own and rode them at altitude without issue.  Keep in mind the cals for your bike are MAP vs rpm in the VE tables. Where you can run into trouble is if you don't adjust the cells just outside of the area you are able to sample at that lower altitude and then you hit those cells back at altitude. If your tuner is worth his salt then he will understand this and adjust accordingly. Decel can be affected as well because of this.
If you don't have a sense of humor you probably have no sense at all.

Rsw

Agreed had mine tuned in Fort Worth by GMR I live in Colorado at about 5000 feet runs like a champ here as well as at 500 feet in Phoenix