March 30, 2024, 12:23:10 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Heavy duty Progressives

Started by bluehighwayfx, September 30, 2018, 07:38:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bluehighwayfx

What shocks are you guys running on your FXE? It looks like Progressive 412 in heavy duty would be good.  Unfortunately they don't seem to be made heavy duty in the stock 12 inch length and since I ride two up heavy duty is a requirement. So what are the rest of you heavy duty Superglide owners using and how do they work?
Killing bugs at high speed since 1978, same shovel, different day.

Mule

Progressives are good shocks! They are also the only shock I have had blow apart on the road! My 412s were almost new when it happened, Progressive wouldn't stand behind it Because I have an early swing arm on a 81 FLH frame. They just don't get it that an 81 frame with round swing arm and 13.5 inch shocks is basically the same as a FLH would have from 66-72 stock. Or maybe it was a good way to get out of  replacing the shock! They wouldn't even sell me a replacement cartridge ! I still have 412s on there, but I bought them used at a good price.

guppymech

I've still got the original shocks, 27k miles.  I saw on hydra-glide forum that Dyna shocks fit.
http://www.hydra-glide.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=217&t=17275
'84 FXE, '02 883R

Ohio HD

I used Progressive shocks on my Shovels. They were fine and held up as long as I had the bikes.

HotRodShovel

Progressive 412 in the rear and Progressive springs in the front forks.  I don't think I could get a better ride.
Sometimes life is like trying to share a sandwich with Rosie O'Donnell. 
John

remington007

I have read in the past that even the standard 412 is sprung stiff for a FX shovelhead, any truth to that for those that run them?

76shuvlinoff

There's one in every crowd.... I blew up a set of 412s riding two up on my 76 FLH. Went to a set of new take off (13"?) from a late FX, they've been good for a few years now but I've been riding the FLH solo during that time.
Critics are men who watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors.
 - Ernest Hemingway

poorbiker

Not a fan of the progressives, same here had one set blow out, 412s. Progressive wouldn't make it right, bought another and just out of warranty lost a shock.
Now I wouldn't recommend this cause of the $ but I adapted a set of used Ohlins to my shovel, 2 yrs running no issues and great ride.
"Effort takes no talent"

Burnout

The real difficulty of finding shocks for the 4 speed frames is the motion ratio.
Late model shocks do not have heavy enough springs or enough damping for a short motion ratio.
Shock free length and eyelet size are just the most basic parameters of the spec for the correct shock.

Any shock maker worth their salt will want to know the motion ratio and shock angle in addition to loading.
Just changing to a stiff spring doesn't work because the stiff spring rate needs more damping.
Angled Shocks make rising rates as the suspension is compressed.

They don't call me Ironhead Rick just because I'm "hard headed"

dusty1

I've never had a problem with progressive shocks on my FXS, which are 11.5" i believe. Relocated lower shock blocks back an inch 20 some years ago. Nice and low,not so nice ride quality 

ghostrider

I had one blow out as well, and they wouldn't warrentee it, even when I sent them pictures showing an obvious manufacturing defect.   I'll never buy a Progressive product again.

From the sounds of the above posts, its far too common, failures, and not standing by their product.  Every company is going to have the occasional failure, but this sounds like a little more than that.

Sounds like there are a few of us that have been left with one good shock, maybe we should get together and make a few sets out of the remnants, lol.

Burnout

Another data point regarding shock length.

It is important that at ride height the swing arm pivot is slightly higher than the axle.
This is to create a favorable geometry and increase traction.
It also increases stability in corners.

Also there is the chain clearance at the starter housing issue to consider.
The more you gear it up the worse this gets. (unless you make the rear sprocket smaller)
They don't call me Ironhead Rick just because I'm "hard headed"