April 19, 2024, 03:31:46 AM

News:

Ultima single fire ignition

Started by One4Tone, October 17, 2018, 10:21:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

One4Tone

...thinking of trying the Ultima Single fire ignition. I guess it eliminates the auto advance, the points, and they say single fire gives good spark and it has adjustments for different applications.  I have a 75 fx bone stock, kick only, other than pipes and old round style Mikuni. The bike had been a one kick bike but every now and again something in the ignition would act up. The motor is strong and it's a joy to ride. Any opinions on this Ultima single  fire ignition would be appreciated...thank you..

76shuvlinoff

I think the Ultima is a copy of the DynaTek?  I've seen guys mention them favorably here.  I have a Dynatek 2000i from about 2003.  It's "programmable" with the dip switches, wired for dual plugs and single fire. I think the later ones can interface with your laptop but I've never had one in my hands.  The benefits of single fire can be debated all day long but I doubt there are many negatives. I set it on single fire because I can.

Just make sure whatever ignition you choose is kicker compatible. My older DynaTek is not.
Critics are men who watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors.
 - Ernest Hemingway

One4Tone

...thanks 76...its good to know they are being used with good results. .. will make sure it's set up for kicker..thanks

JW113

I had one. It fried in front of the machine shop, had to have the wife bring me some tools and the stock points set up. It's still in there running great. No idea why it failed, but I have no desire to go back to electronic. I don't trust it anymore. The prior S&S Hi-4 also failed and almost stranded me. For a stock-ish bike, I think you need to review the cost/benifit chart.

By the way, from what I can tell, the Ultima *IS* a Dynatek unit with a different label on it. To reprogram for kick start, you download the Dynatek software...

-JW
2004 FLHRS   1977 FLH Shovelhead  1992 FLSTC
1945 Indian Chief   1978 XL Bobber

One4Tone

thanks JW...did you have a long time before you had issued with it?

76shuvlinoff

If full electronics put you off you could look into the Dyna S.  I think it gets rid of the condenser and points but you retain the advance weights?  As you can tell I've never used one.  :embarrassed:

The more I read about recent Dyna / Ultima ignitions I figure I must've gotten the last good one.

.... and that my friends is how you prepare to eat crow.   :hyst:
Critics are men who watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors.
 - Ernest Hemingway

Burnout

I say yes to electronic ignition, just remember a Dyna S is not an electronic ignition!

And any cheap ass ignition that retains the centrifugal advance has weak sauce at best.

I have hand started an Ironhead with a proper E/I I would not attempt that with points or a centrifugal advance.

There is nothing wrong with the factory electronic ignition, many reject them and they can be had cheap.

Whatever E/I you use DO include a VOES, it makes a night and day difference!
They don't call me Ironhead Rick just because I'm "hard headed"

JW113

Quote from: One4Tone on October 19, 2018, 02:04:08 AM
thanks JW...did you have a long time before you had issued with it?

A few hundered miles on it. When it soiled it's diaper, it would fire up and then start running on one cylinder after about 10 seconds. With the S&S Hi-4, it would run fine for 20 minutes or so, then just die and I'd coast to the shoulder. After several attempts, it would fire up again. I've never had either of those happen with points.
:SM:

Rick I hear you, and don't disagree. If I had a high performance bike, would (and do) use EI. However, my stock Shovelhead is about as high performance as a John Deere model B. EI isn't going to bring anything to the party, IMO.

-JW
2004 FLHRS   1977 FLH Shovelhead  1992 FLSTC
1945 Indian Chief   1978 XL Bobber

turboprop

Quote from: One4Tone on October 17, 2018, 10:21:59 PM
...thinking of trying the Ultima Single fire ignition. I guess it eliminates the auto advance, the points, and they say single fire gives good spark and it has adjustments for different applications.  I have a 75 fx bone stock, kick only, other than pipes and old round style Mikuni. The bike had been a one kick bike but every now and again something in the ignition would act up. The motor is strong and it's a joy to ride. Any opinions on this Ultima single  fire ignition would be appreciated...thank you..

Some of the long time members here may remember the trouble head I built and then gave to my friend Johnny Bo. Bo was a double leg amputee, never owned a bike (seven kids) and always dreamed of an old FLH. He was also mechanically retarded. Anyways, his dream bike was an old FLH with a kicker. So thats what I built him for a retirement gift. I put a lot into making it as maintenance free as possible. For the ignition system, I went with an Ultima nose cone model, with the VOES, and twin dual fire coils for single fire operation. That bike was a true single kick bike. Watching Bo kick it with his prosthetics was a sight. He rode that bike all over the country, right up until he was killed in Mexico. Would not be surprised if that bike was still going strong in Mexico.

For reference, that engine was a 93" with STD heads, Evo lifter blocks, lifters and cam, Mikuni HSR42, Ultima Ign, CompuFire coil, Thunderheader. S&S oil pump w/Baisley 3:1 gears. Had an enclosed belt drive, five in a four trans w/kicker. Made good power, was uber reliable and didn't leak a drop of fluid.
'We' like this' - Said by the one man operation.

One4Tone

...well..it sounds like it might be worth a shot.(Ultima)..I will keep all my old parts..coil, wires, auto advance, timing plarte, condenser  and points. All parts are fairly new...and besides I also have a 72 FL..where they may be usefull. The 72 never gave me issues...but it's electric start. Riding the shovel is a real joy...nothing like the sound of a shovel. Thank you gentlemen for your input. Much appreciated.

One4Tone

...well the  ignition is in...took a little getting used to starting it. Bike was off the road 3 years. But at this point I am pleased. I finally got this bike where I want it. Still got the old Mikuni round house on it. It works great for a 30 year old carb. Took it and showed it to previous owner I bought it from 17 years ago. He gave me a main jet for the Mikuni he 's been saving for me. He owned the bike 20 years before me. Motor was rebuilt 25 years ago and still running strong although it hasn't seen more than 20,000 miles. I got the tranny rebuilt in 04 and she works great. Clutch needs a very slight adjustment probably at the cable. Going try to put as many miles before winter sets in. Was out today on it. She sure likes the cold weather and if it drizzles a bit even better. :chop:

dirtymike

If you use points and advance weights timing is the key to a first kick start. My 60 pound grand kid can start mine.

Burnout

The importance of Accurate timing is more evident when starting, especially when kicking.

I started an Ironhead with E/I by hand to prove my point. (I would never attempt that with points)

Also VOES is a big starting help when using E/I.
They don't call me Ironhead Rick just because I'm "hard headed"