April 15, 2024, 09:20:56 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Shovelhead Thunderheader or RB Racing

Started by guppymech, October 28, 2018, 08:22:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

guppymech

Looking through the "Show your Shovel" thread I'm seeing a lot of Thunderheaders and I'm curious to hear some comparisons of them with RB Racing's LSR 2-1.  Both pipes cost the same at $695 in chrome.  Any thoughts on which is the better pipe?  Oh, and I need it to clear the kicker arm.  Thanks.
'84 FXE, '02 883R

turboprop

You would probably get some responses if you posted in the general section and opened up the conversation to simply 'Thunderheader vs RB Racing LSR'.
'We' like this' - Said by the one man operation.

76shuvlinoff

I can't give you any comparison info. I do have a T-header in my 76 with a 93" S&S long block. I went that route because only two exhausts would clear my 5 inna 4 tranny. The other was a set of true duals.  For what it is it runs pretty well, it can get obnoxious when you light it up but as I recall RB pipes are damn loud too.  The pic below is the stripped down version, currently the bike sports Big Bertha bags and a wide solo touring seat.

Critics are men who watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors.
 - Ernest Hemingway

Hillside Motorcycle

If I was to bet, I'd bet that the T/header would be a better choice, ie more low-mid.
Otto Knowbetter sez, "Even a fish wouldn't get caught if he kept his mouth shut"

Burnout

Quote from: Scott P on November 05, 2018, 04:29:51 AM
If I was to bet, I'd bet that the T/header would be a better choice, ie more low-mid.

The long rear cylinder head pipe is way better than a pipe with the short rear cylinder head pipe.

I think both the tight venturi merge and the megaphone of a TH, both offer advantages on the street.

My butt dyno says the TH is the winner unless you are going to do dyno shootouts.
A dyno measures peak power, on the street you are rarely at peak power RPM.

I switched from a V&H Pro Pipe to a TH like the one pictured and saw a significant improvement in low and midrange power.
Sold the V&H pipe.

White Bros made a great pipe if you can find one, Supertrapp also made a good pipe.
They don't call me Ironhead Rick just because I'm "hard headed"

76shuvlinoff

If you go with the T-header and have floorboards you have to space the right side out about 7/8".  It's been years but as I recall the entire right side bracket was spaced away from the frame bringing the master cyl with it. I trimmed the bracket to clear the pipe, also cut down the mc push rod and welded up the stop to lay the pedal forward.
Critics are men who watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors.
 - Ernest Hemingway

Hossamania

My Twin Cam was the same, the floor board needed spacing. Many aftermarket exhausts do, except drag pipes. We don't need no stinking heat shields on drag pipes!
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

guppymech

Thanks for the replies on the Thunderheader.  I came across this vid of a RB LSR, sounds pretty good on the throttle.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yNmi-yudEcI
'84 FXE, '02 883R

Burnout

I have to laugh! That sounds like the most anemic shovelhead I have ever heard!

Sounds like a 74" motor with a stock cam and carb    :idunno:

guppymech

Quote from: Burnout on November 14, 2018, 07:26:40 AM

Should be good then as my SG is completely stock except for a Super E and Paughco pipes....80" of 7.4:1 Shovelhead Fury!
'84 FXE, '02 883R

76shuvlinoff

Quote from: guppymech on November 14, 2018, 07:44:49 AM
Quote from: Burnout on November 14, 2018, 07:26:40 AM

Should be good then as my SG is completely stock except for a Super E and Paughco pipes....80" of 7.4:1 Shovelhead Fury!

Either might be too much pipe for a stockish mill. Unless you are moving a lot of exhaust you don't need a lot of pipe. Back pressure can be your friend or all you will have is high priced noise.  Guys have learned this with drags, hence there are baffles or bolts or lollipop tricks to bring them some back pressure.

YMMV.

- Ernest Hemingway

turboprop

Reminder to everyone that RB Racing offers the LSR pipe for shovels with either a 2" or 1.75" head pipe. Simply saying LSR pipe is not specific enough. I bet the LSR pipe with 1.75" primary head pipe would work real well on a small shovel.
'We' like this' - Said by the one man operation.

guppymech

What do ya'll think about the Supertrapp 2-1?  They make a chrome steel version.   

'84 FXE, '02 883R

Burnout

The only thing that would make a SuperTrapp like that better is a long rear header pipe.

That is an otherwise great pipe good ground clearance, good merge venturi, great finish.

Not sure that pipe will clear a running board setup though.